Powered by Outside

230x65mm Fox X2 + offset hardware on Nomad V4?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
230x65mm Fox X2 + offset hardware on Nomad V4?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 17:58 Quote
I was wondering if anyone’s had experience with this combination or at least could predict the consequences. Apparently a 65mm stroke shock on regular hardware can cause the lower link to strike the frame so could this be a solution?

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
I might be trying this soon myself and will let you know

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
I appreciate it!

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
I have a large nomad 4 with a fox dhx2 and cut the 5mm spacer out, making the stroke of the shock to be 65mm. With the spring uninstalled I cycled it through its travel and there were no linkage related strikes. There was still 1 centimeter or so before the tire hit the seat tube at full compression (2.4 maxxis dhr2 on a 30mm rim). I put the spring back on and the bike seems to be working fine and should have around 183 ish mm of rear wheel travel. Also, when the shock was out of the bike I was able to compress the linkage all the way until the tire hit the frame (still no linkage hits) so I do not foresee any problems. However on smaller frames there might be an issue with clearance. Hope that helps!

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
How did you go about taking the spacer out?

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 20:22 Quote
Lukeo04 wrote:
How did you go about taking the spacer out?

I used a pair of tin snips, shears and plyers, just kinda cut it up and ripped it off while trying not to damage the stantion or the rest of the shock. Was a sketchy 5 minutes but it worked out fine. I couldn't find a way to disassemble the shock without going through a suspension service.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
Yeah, one of the downsides of the X2 and DHX2 is that the stroke reducer is installed on the damper shaft and is more of a washer design than a snap ring like air spring reducers are.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
I took mine off today and it works just fine even without offset bushings, I'm on a size large cc frame so I dont know if it will work with all sizes.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
Also because of the leverage being progressive this most likely means that it is more like 180mm rather than 184mm. Just because the 184mm was from the while stroke average rather than just the end.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 0:19 Quote
How dose the bike ride with this mod?
Is it worth doing?

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
Feels great and more confidence. It's hard to cut the washer off though

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
Right ok, thank you ????????

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
cheeseontost wrote:
Right ok, thank you ????????

The bike rides no different with the spacer cut out, it doesn't change the shock length so the geometry remains the same. The benefit I have noticed is that on bigger hits i have a little more travel and I rarely bottom out hard anymore. I'd do the mod because from what I've experienced its only a plus.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
That's way better that I put it, just this weekend I went and looked for hucks I could do on my favorite trails that I never thought of until I had the extra push

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009076
Mobile Version of Website