Powered by Outside

Mid/short travel bike at parks

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mid/short travel bike at parks
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
Howdy,

Basically I'm looking for people's 2 cents on the use of bike with 120mm rear travel at bike parks, while I haven't landed solidly on what frame I want I'm look at bikes that are basically a Transition Smuggler or Cotic FlareMax in terms of Geo numbers.

My plan on the build would be to pair a 120 frame with a 140 fork, overall a beefier build than not likely with a coil in the rear manufacturer permitting. The overall purpose of the bike would be to park duty but a few days here and there, Primarily at parks such as Trestle, Keystone and Crested Butte.

So thoughts, opinions, and experience?

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
Commencal Clash...Check out the commie vid..all bike are Clashes..

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-big-mountain-riding-in-viva-mexico.html

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
I appreciate the response, however the Clash is a 165/180mm bike.

I’m coming off a comparable bike to the clash but am looking at something with less travel as I feel that would be better suited to the majority of my local riding. That said I’m more wondering people’s thought on how well a 120mm bike could handle no more than say 3 weeks of park riding with large gaps for Maintenance and stanard riding between each time at said parks.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 23:28 Quote
@Hammer48 No worries, cool vid at least

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
EgoLicentia wrote:
Howdy,

Basically I'm looking for people's 2 cents on the use of bike with 120mm rear travel at bike parks, while I haven't landed solidly on what frame I want I'm look at bikes that are basically a Transition Smuggler or Cotic FlareMax in terms of Geo numbers.

My plan on the build would be to pair a 120 frame with a 140 fork, overall a beefier build than not likely with a coil in the rear manufacturer permitting. The overall purpose of the bike would be to park duty but a few days here and there, Primarily at parks such as Trestle, Keystone and Crested Butte.

So thoughts, opinions, and experience?

Probably depends what style rider you are - it will probably work, but you will have hard time (you and the bike :-). And better have good technic, because there is no forgivness if you miss a perfect line or case a landing. Simmilar to going mountaneering in sneakers - it can be done, but not much fun to repeat, much better experience with proper mountain shoes.
If you are aggressive double black and simmilar rider, for park days better rent some proper bike and save your trail bike for trails, not repairs :-)

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
I’ve ridden my smuggler up at Stevens pass bike park and it was awesome. I rode all trails and never ended up sore. I added bands in the rear shock and tokens up front for a more progressive ride. The smuggler is an awesome trail bike. If you are going to ride a bike park every once in while, it would be fine. One thing I would recommend is to overfork the bike. I have a 150mm on mine and works great.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
Depends on the park man. I’ve ridden parks that 120mm is fine and ones that you really want 150 minimum.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
Should be fine for a few park trips a year. Mk1 scout is brilliant fun on jumps and berms, and the 125mm rear feels like a lot more. You're more likely to rattle something loose I suppose, but it'll be fun up to that point.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
Have you checked out that new Guerilla Gravity bike?

It really sounds like this is when that bike would excel, you essentially would get 2 bikes in 1 if you buy the seatstay kit.

You could have your 120mm (29er) or 130mm (27.5) for home trail riding. Then you swap that seatstay and a rear shock to upgrade to 155mm travel (29er) or 165mm (27.5) along with a longer fork for those weekends you go to the bike park.

I'm eyeballing the GG bike (29er) as my home town is trail riding but I live close to a few parks that I visit very often (along with road trips to Sedona, ETC). I would throw on the new seatstay, etc and be ready for those weekend trips without buying a whole new bike or needing 2 bikes....

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
My smuggy worked just fine at Trestle. Big jump/flow lines were fine. The more techy trails like Trestle DH were def overload for the bike. I love my Smuggler though. Maybe consider a Commencal Meta TR 29 or Yeti SB 130..... Good tweener bike.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
I should also add that if you build a smuggler definitely put a DPX2 or a Topaz on it. The DPS is trash for how you'd be riding it.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
Thanks for all the responses,

Like I said before the build would in all likelihood be at least a coil rear and most likely a coil front as well.

Good to hear the thoughts regarding extra techy stuff as that is my preferred riding when at parks.

And as far as the new GG, while I like the design and am a fan of the idea behind the bike, a big factor for me is not having a ton of spare parts laying around and having to swap stuff all the time.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Evil following/offering?

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
EgoLicentia wrote:
Thanks for all the responses,

Like I said before the build would in all likelihood be at least a coil rear and most likely a coil front as well.

Good to hear the thoughts regarding extra techy stuff as that is my preferred riding when at parks.

And as far as the new GG, while I like the design and am a fan of the idea behind the bike, a big factor for me is not having a ton of spare parts laying around and having to swap stuff all the time.

I understand the to many parts, but I think it would only be a seatstay, rear shock and front shock that would be laying arround. All 3 would be fairly easy to swap for a better bike for a weekend trip without spending to much money and not having to compromise for a short travel bike on the trips.

As far as other suggestions, maybe a Diamondback Release? Its only 10 mm more in front and rear compared to your original request.

That 120mm will be rough on the techy stuff offts.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.172051
Mobile Version of Website