Powered by Outside

2021 Specialized Epic Evo Shock Swap

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Specialized Epic Evo Shock Swap
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
I know I am not the only one who wants to try different rear shocks on my new epic evo. The stock shock is 190x40 and provides 110mm of travel (claimed). Has anyone experimented with different shocks? If so, post about it with the pros/cons.

So far I have done a test fit of a cane creek dbair il with a 45mm stroke (190x45) and under full compression I did not have any tire clearance or linkage issues. I have not had a chance to ride it because I need new hardware for the front eyelet. I am waiting on a 42.5mm stroke shock to try out as I am looking for slightly more travel than stock but don't want to push it.

I am also trying out a 130mm pike ultimate versus the 120mm sid ultimate. I am not going to be pushing this bike to its limits. I have a stumpjumper lt as a play bike. This is more of an experiment than anything else.

Some simple calculations (which may not be 100% accurate) provide the following travel for different stroke shocks.

37.5mm stroke = 103mm travel
40mm stroke = 110mm travel
42.5mm stroke = 117mm travel
45mm stroke = 124mm travel

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
I fit a cane creek IL coil in there and it’s rad.
Pros: feels great, can pedal through rougher terrain, more adjustable, feels playful yet planted.
Cons: have to run a fairly high spring rate, so anyone over 85-90kg may struggle with this setup.
Epic Evo Canecreek IL
Epic Evo Canecreek IL

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 9:49 Quote
jarradlawrence wrote:
Pros: feels great, can pedal through rougher terrain, more adjustable, feels playful yet planted.
Cons: have to run a fairly high spring rate, so anyone over 85-90kg may struggle with this setup.
Epic Evo Canecreek IL
Epic Evo Canecreek IL

Did you stick to the stock 190x40 or go 42.5/45 stroke?

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
GavinLansden wrote:
jarradlawrence wrote:
Epic Evo Canecreek IL
Epic Evo Canecreek IL

Did you stick to the stock 190x40 or go 42.5/45 stroke?

I checked longer strokes for clearance and appeared to have no issues, seeing as this shock is a 45 and I can add and remove travel reducers as needed, however I have stuck with stock length stroke for now until I get the chance to look further into it, I am more concerned about added travel/flex in the chain stay/seat stay area and what that “flex” tolerance might be, just as a precaution for the moment.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
hey im thinking about doing the same thing, except with a rockshox 190x45, couldn't find 190x40 for the super deluxe. i checked all the clearing and nothing hits but im still skeptical and didn't buy it yet, any new update on this.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
Gavin,

Did you ever get around to testing the rear shocks?

I got the 2021 Epic Evo and need more suspension capacity. I will order the Pike 130mm and want to get a more trail oriented rear shock. The Super Deluxe does come in 190 x 40. And also 42.5 and 45.

Will the 190 x 40, even though it is the same length as stock, give a better ride on the way down?

Thank you,

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
Hey,

I haven't had time to swap shocks. I know there are a couple people running 190x42.5 and do not have any clearance issues with the flex stays. I haven't heard any reviews of people running the 190x45 yet.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
With the flip chip in the ‘high’ position, and a 190x42.5 shock, the range of rear triangle travel should be in the same range as the flip chip in the ‘low’ position with a 190x40 shock, correct?

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
Anymore ride reports from over shock testers?

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
Dan Sapp's Evo shows a Float X which only comes in a 190x45, so either he shimmed it, or running it with a longer stroke for 124mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/danielsapp/blog/review-kat-piston-pro-x-bike-rack.html

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
Wet went with the 190x42.5 in low and have no issues.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 15:31 Quote
BruceJR wrote:
Wet went with the 190x42.5 in low and have no issues.

Sweet, are you coming off the deluxe? What shock do you have now? And how does it compare?

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
I changed the Deluxe out for the Factory DPS and the Sid Ultimate out for the Factory 34 SC. So much more plush and controlled. The RS setup was pretty harsh imo.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 22:36 Quote
BruceJR wrote:
I changed the Deluxe out for the Factory DPS and the Sid Ultimate out for the Factory 34 SC. So much more plush and controlled. The RS setup was pretty harsh imo.
How much travel did you gain? How did you figure out the best measurements? Are you jeopardizing the frame?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
I reached out to Specialized tech support. Here's my email history.
Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out. It is not possible to increase the stroke length because this can cause the wheel to hit the seat or seat tube. The maximum fork travel is 160mm. I hope this is helpful.

Happy riding!

Travis | Specialized USA Rider Care

Subject: Bike - Technical Specification # 04904077
Description: I own a 2021 Specialized Epic EVO. I know the factory Rear Suspension size is 190x40mm. Is it possible to put a suspension with more travel with out compromising the frame? For example, 190x45 on the rear suspension. Same question for the fork. I ask because I'm 6 feet tall and weight 244 plus the weight of my hydration pack.
★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
What is the max travel on Rear Suspension to not compromise the frame? What Rear shock can I buy to get max travel?

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

The maximum stroke length for your shock is 40mm. Any shock that has a stroke length of 40mm will give you your max travel.

Happy riding!

Travis | Specialized USA Rider Care

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018094
Mobile Version of Website