Powered by Outside

Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
For anyone who is getting ready to change eyelet bearings, you may want to read this to keep you from making the same mistake I did.

Rocky Mountain recommends using this tool (SKU: 1810031) to remove eyelet bearings: https://shop.bikes.com/collections/altitude/products/bearing-eyelet-tool

I have previously changed bearings using various sketchy methods in the past. I got tired of doing it the wrong way so I finally bought the right tool. It works beautifully and is worth the $60 over making your own tools and cursing.

HOWEVER, the tool I got was manufactured from stainless steel and has stainless steel screws. Big no-no and frankly I'm surprised RM did this. I am going to send them a message to see if all are like this or if their supplier made a change without their approval. I didn't realize this before using it and the threads galled and the screw immediately seized in the tool.

Not the end of the world since I was just able to drill out the screw and re-tap the hole, but not everyone will have access to the same tools to repair it. Don't make the same mistake I did. Be sure to put plenty of anti-sieze on the threads before you use the tool or change the screws to carbon steel ones.

TLDR: The bearing eyelet tool and fasteners are made of stainless steel. You need to use anti-sieze on the threads to prevent ruining the tool.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
Good info, thanks for the heads up!! RM should comp you some merch.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
nathanawebster wrote:
For anyone who is getting ready to change eyelet bearings, you may want to read this to keep you from making the same mistake I did.

Rocky Mountain recommends using this tool (SKU: 1810031) to remove eyelet bearings: https://shop.bikes.com/collections/altitude/products/bearing-eyelet-tool

I have previously changed bearings using various sketchy methods in the past. I got tired of doing it the wrong way so I finally bought the right tool. It works beautifully and is worth the $60 over making your own tools and cursing.

HOWEVER, the tool I got was manufactured from stainless steel and has stainless steel screws. Big no-no and frankly I'm surprised RM did this. I am going to send them a message to see if all are like this or if their supplier made a change without their approval. I didn't realize this before using it and the threads galled and the screw immediately seized in the tool.

Not the end of the world since I was just able to drill out the screw and re-tap the hole, but not everyone will have access to the same tools to repair it. Don't make the same mistake I did. Be sure to put plenty of anti-sieze on the threads before you use the tool or change the screws to carbon steel ones.

TLDR: The bearing eyelet tool and fasteners are made of stainless steel. You need to use anti-sieze on the threads to prevent ruining the tool.

Stainless on stainless is fine as long as there is some anti sieze on the threads. If contacting them, definitely mention that.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
Has anyone been able to buy this tool? It's been out of stock for some time.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 5:02 Quote
Tombonombona wrote:

Stainless on stainless is fine as long as there is some anti sieze on the threads. If contacting them, definitely mention that.

Agreed. I made the suggestion that they should include a little single use tube of anti-seize with the kit.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this only works on a 2021 bike or it is pretty compatible with, say, 2019 as well?

The technical guide talked about Enduro's tool, which costs about $175 plus shipping. My local bike shop just used 8MM bearing puller to get the eyelet out and it worked out fine.

I am actually really disappointed that RM made this process a lot harder than necessary.

*** EDIT ***
Just got an email from RM confirming that this only works on 2021 bikes. The previous models have bigger eyelets.

nathanawebster wrote:

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
wiggeywackyo wrote:
Has anyone been able to buy this tool? It's been out of stock for some time.
I just ordered mine today. They are back in stock. I contacted customer service earlier this week and they said new stock was coming mid February. That guy lied. They are in stock now. https://shop.bikes.com/products/bearing-eyelet-tool?_pos=1&_sid=80c4ea353&_ss=r

The prices is Canadian so if your in the U.S. like I am it’s cheaper.

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
vanshore wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this only works on a 2021 bike or it is pretty compatible with, say, 2019 as well?

The technical guide talked about Enduro's tool, which costs about $175 plus shipping. My local bike shop just used 8MM bearing puller to get the eyelet out and it worked out fine.

I am actually really disappointed that RM made this process a lot harder than necessary.

*** EDIT ***
Just got an email from RM confirming that this only works on 2021 bikes. The previous models have bigger eyelets.

nathanawebster wrote:

I looked under ‘Parts’ for my 2018 Pipeline and the Bearing Eyelet Tool share the same SKU as the 2021 model bikes. What did customer service tell you exactly?

***EDIT***
RM support told me the same thing. The new eyelet tool only works on new bikes. Customer service sucks and give you non descriptive replies.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
That's great that they're back in stock. Not so great that they are for the 2021's and on. Need something similar for the 2018's. Might have to make and sell my own.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 18:00 Quote
I really hate how they did these eyelets. Why do they have to make it so hard to maintain

FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
WHAT ROCKY TOLD ME IF I WANT TO USE THE NEW EYELET TOOL

Okay so I own a 2018 Rocky Mountain Pipeline and the bearing eyelet kit required is (part number 1818003RMB). But the new and only Bearing eyelet tool RM sells (part number 1810031) is incompatible and does not work for that eyelet 1818003RMB.

So I asked RM customer if I can install another Bearing Eyelet kit from the newer models on my 2018 Pipeline?

Allen suggested that if I want to use the new bearing eyelet tool SKU 1810031, that I should install the bearing eyelets from the 2021 Altitude SKU 1811007 which is compatible with the 2018 Pipeline/Instinct.

Here is a email quote from RM Customer Support:

"Hi Shibuya7,

No, the bearing eyelet SKU 1818003RMB is the same that you have on your bike. The tool works with SKU 1811007 and it will fit on your bike if you need a new pair of bearing eyelets.
https://shop.bikes.com/products/shock-bearing-eyelet-kit-2021-altitude?_pos=3&_sid=256e9f5d9&_ss=r"

Super confusing I know!

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
Oh man. They really makes this hard for everyone eh.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
Suggested this in another thread, but do you think it would it be possible with 3D-printed tools?

Maybe someone in here has the skill to make a sutable tool, so that anyone with access
to a 3D pritner could make their own.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
Per someone else's suggestion : I emailed RM about the 2021 altitude eyelet and removal tools. They said you can change your current eyelet to the 2021 version and use the tool subsequently. That's what I'd did. Yeah it's about another 100 bucks, but it beats going to the shop every time

FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
EskilKveim wrote:
Suggested this in another thread, but do you think it would it be possible with 3D-printed tools?

Maybe someone in here has the skill to make a sutable tool, so that anyone with access
to a 3D pritner could make their own.

I ended up just buying the bearing eyelet tool and the 2021 Altitude Bearing eyelets for my 2018 Instinct.

I agree with Vanshore, I prefer servicing the aircan my self, takes 20 mins rather than waiting a week and spending a lot of money at a shop.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010460
Mobile Version of Website