Powered by Outside

2021 YT Jeffsy 29er Core 4 Sizing (L or XL)

PB Forum :: YT Industries
2021 YT Jeffsy 29er Core 4 Sizing (L or XL)
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
I recently pulled the trigger on a 2021 29er Jeffsy Core 4 in the XL size. I've checked multiple sites and called YT and it always seems that its a 50-50 between the L and XL sizes. I am 6'1 with a 34" inseam (used the book method) and am currently riding a 2018 Smuggler Large. The numbers between the two

Spec Jeffsy Smuggler Delta Inches
Toptube 638 625 13 .5118113
Reach 490 475 15 .5905515
Stack 636 624 12 .4724412
Seattube 460 450 10 .393701
Chainstay 440 430 10 .393701
Headtube 66° / 66,5° 66
Seattube Angle 77° / 77,5° 60
Wheelbase 1247 1213 34 1.3385834
Headtube 120 110 10 .393701
Bb Height 344 340 4 .1574804
Standover 693 705 -12 -.4724412

There are some larger deltas, reach is .59" and the wheelbase is 1.33" longer, and I thought the smuggler was long....

I wanted to find out if anyone out there has decided to go with the XL over the L and are in my height range (6-6'1 etc)? I've been watching the YT site and when I saw the XL was recently available I bought it. YT said I can build it and ride it on the street and return if it's not a good fit...

Thanks again for reading.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 11:11 Quote
I'm a hair over 6'1" and 32" inseam (per my pants). I ride an XL YT Jeffsy Blaze and it seems to fit me just right. It's probably up to your preference to some extent, but I wouldn't be concerned with an XL given your measurements. YT's sizing labels seems to be shifted towards the larger sizes. I was a large in most other brands.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
JohnnyYT wrote:
I'm a hair over 6'1" and 32" inseam (per my pants). I ride an XL YT Jeffsy Blaze and it seems to fit me just right. It's probably up to your preference to some extent, but I wouldn't be concerned with an XL given your measurements. YT's sizing labels seems to be shifted towards the larger sizes. I was a large in most other brands.

Right on, appreciate the response. The numbers aren't vastly different from my current bike so I'm hoping I'll be good, I wont my Smuggler yet of course if it doesn't work out.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
Maybe a tad different, but it could shed some light... I have always had L bikes because that's what the size charts said. I'm 6.0.
Then I got the Izzo Blaze. After a thorough amount of research and comparisons on current geometry numbers, I went XL. Best decision I have made to date buying mtb's, suddenly my other favorites are feeling to small. We are talking fractions, but it's noticeable.
I would say size up .. but that's only my biased opinion.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 7:05 Quote
dieskim wrote:
Maybe a tad different, but it could shed some light... I have always had L bikes because that's what the size charts said. I'm 6.0.
Then I got the Izzo Blaze. After a thorough amount of research and comparisons on current geometry numbers, I went XL. Best decision I have made to date buying mtb's, suddenly my other favorites are feeling to small. We are talking fractions, but it's noticeable.
I would say size up .. but that's only my biased opinion.

Appreciate the response, that's inline with what yt spoke to me about. The numbers aren't drastically diff from my current bike. I figure I'll build it up and ride it in the driveway to make sure it's a fit.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
Appreciate the response, that's inline with what yt spoke to me about. The numbers aren't drastically diff from my current bike. I figure I'll build it up and ride it in the driveway to make sure it's a fit.[/Quote]

Mate, go big or go home! Smile

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
dieskim wrote:
Appreciate the response, that's inline with what yt spoke to me about. The numbers aren't drastically diff from my current bike. I figure I'll build it up and ride it in the driveway to make sure it's a fit.

Mate, go big or go home! Smile [/Quote]

I'm goin for it Beer

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 2:46 Quote
buick24 wrote:
dieskim wrote:

Mate, go big or go home! Smile

I'm goin for it Beer [/Quote]

Looking forward to your opinion!

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
Hey. I’m gonna revive this thread...

Same boat for me- 6 feet even but 34” inseam. Reach on the xl jeffsy is 20mm longer than my current bike in large but the effective top tube is exactly the same due to the steeper seat tube on the jeffsy. I find on most bikes the seat is extended so far up that I’ve always felt stretched “out” but really it’s more stretched “down”... I think with the higher stack, steeper seat tube and maybe a shorter stem that I’ll be just fine on the xl. Am I crazy or is this a reasonable way of approaching this decision? Also I’m thinking the longer wheelbase will give a bit of increased stability at the increased speeds I seem to be riding at these days.

Whatcha guys think?
Cheers!

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
the sizing is
1 effective top tube to suit your back
2 seat tube or saddle check

i was between xl and l izzo. yt told me to go for large.
my last bike had 690 top tube +stem. the izzo Xl had 700, the largr 670.
i checked the xl bb to saddle range. i use 79cm. the xl has about 4cm to spare.

so i bought the xl.

i biught shorter stem(s) to cut the top tube to 680 to 690 but the size was fine and had no back issues after a cozple of plank and side plank sessions. i never fitted it and returned it.

i have about 4 to 5 cm exposed dropper -just enough.
i toyed also with the notion of shorter cranks but didnt bother in the end. my main goal with that notion was to swap sram for shimano and secondly a fear of pedal strikes. any comments here relate to izzo ratjer tgan jeffsy so i will stay on point.

im 183cm tall, but as you see, height is not the sizing principal. it is incidental. you will also see the xl izzo is for people 184 cm and above... but at the borderline you need to think a bit about how the bike will fit YOU, not mr average and some of the above might get you thinking.

hope that helps

have fun

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
notnew wrote:
the sizing is
1 effective top tube to suit your back
2 seat tube or saddle check

i was between xl and l izzo. yt told me to go for large.
my last bike had 690 top tube +stem. the izzo Xl had 700, the largr 670.
i checked the xl bb to saddle range. i use 79cm. the xl has about 4cm to spare.

so i bought the xl.

i biught shorter stem(s) to cut the top tube to 680 to 690 but the size was fine and had no back issues after a cozple of plank and side plank sessions. i never fitted it and returned it.

i have about 4 to 5 cm exposed dropper -just enough.
i toyed also with the notion of shorter cranks but didnt bother in the end. my main goal with that notion was to swap sram for shimano and secondly a fear of pedal strikes. any comments here relate to izzo ratjer tgan jeffsy so i will stay on point.

im 183cm tall, but as you see, height is not the sizing principal. it is incidental. you will also see the xl izzo is for people 184 cm and above... but at the borderline you need to think a bit about how the bike will fit YOU, not mr average and some of the above might get you thinking.

hope that helps

have fun

Interesting take and helpful for me. Appreciate the response. Curious what your inseam length is, cause like u say each person is unique and that results in differences in how a bike feels for sure.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
Any other 6 footers out there with jeffsy specific experience? I starting to find myself more on the xl side of the sizing fence...

TJ

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
Timberjack75 wrote:
Any other 6 footers out there with jeffsy specific experience? I starting to find myself more on the xl side of the sizing fence...

TJ

I'm 6' 1" and 34 1/4 inseam. I've only ridden size large bikes over the last 20 years until I bought my 2019 Jeffsy in XL.

I originally bought the 2019 Jeffsy in size L, road it on the street and decided the sizing felt like every other bike I've own. I exchanged it for the XL and never looked back. This is the first bike I've owned that actually feels like it fits me.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
Colorlightspacetime wrote:
I'm 6' 1" and 34 1/4 inseam. I've only ridden size large bikes over the last 20 years until I bought my 2019 Jeffsy in XL.

I originally bought the 2019 Jeffsy in size L, road it on the street and decided the sizing felt like every other bike I've own. I exchanged it for the XL and never looked back. This is the first bike I've owned that actually feels like it fits me.

Ya. Not surprising as I continue my research. Thanks for the feedback.

What was it that made it feel right for you as compared to the larges you’ve been riding? Stack height, cockpit length, other??? You able to pinpoint any specific aspect?

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
The yt employees at their San Clemente location recommend an XL to just about anyone 6ft or taller. I'm 6ft with 34" inseam and went with the xl. The only thing I changed was the stem to a 35mm from the factory race face 50mm. Handles way better for me now. I could absolutely fit on a large but I prefer the stability and climbing benefits of the larger bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010657
Mobile Version of Website