Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

How many bikes?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
I am new to the scene, preordered a base 2022 Honzo for expected Dec delivery. In the meantime, I got a 2021 stumpjumper base, used. Do most of you keep a hard tail and dual susp bike? I feel like bikes are in such short supply these days that I should give it up for someone else. I don’t know anyone who would want it and I will not scalp. I am 55, trail riding in Ontario, not aggressive at all, riding 2-3x/wk. Absolutely love the stumpy.

[edit] I have come across Rule 12 lol: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 5:59 Quote
I read those rules and that one made me LMFAO....i had a 2010 hard rock specialized that i was going to keep when I bought my marin rift zone 2 27.5. After riding the Marin, I sold my hartail as it was just gonna sit...

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
OMG my wife still has a hard rock from that era, it was a hand-me-up from our daughter who now rides a process 134

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
I have 2 bikes, my Enduro bike and my commuter hardtail. I had a dj for pump tracks but rarely used it so I sold it. If you use the bikes then they are worth having or if you have the money and space to keep them. 2 bikes is enough for me, all I have time for.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
Fear is the mind killer. Fewer bikes is fear. N+1 is the way.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Sold my old Trek Clyde (the good one, from 2002) when I started building the Abomination, my DIY BBSHD commuter/hardtail trailbike. That got me interested in jumping again, so I picked up a used Cannondale Chase 2 dirt jumper to practice manuals and hops on, and I promptly broke my collarbone and a rib. Now saving for my full squish bike, but still deciding between electric and standard for that. I could probably use a unicycle...

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
DCErik wrote:
Sold my old Trek Clyde (the good one, from 2002) when I started building the Abomination, my DIY BBSHD commuter/hardtail trailbike. That got me interested in jumping again, so I picked up a used Cannondale Chase 2 dirt jumper to practice manuals and hops on, and I promptly broke my collarbone and a rib. Now saving for my full squish bike, but still deciding between electric and standard for that. I could probably use a unicycle...

A Mountain Unicycle is great for the winter when most trails are too wet to ride. If you have mellower sandy/all season trails that are boring on a bike, they can be quite fun on a muni.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
3 here. Custom made road and hardtail mountain bikes, both 1980s vintage. Also a newer generation Niner Rip 9 full suspension. Have to admit that I ride the Niner way more than the other two since I got it. Need more storage space so I can accommodate some more bikes.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
2 here: newer Enduro, older XC, and want Gravel, but my XC works for that. Also 2 motorcycles: Adventure and Dual Sport. It is nice to have the right tool for the job, a spare if one is broken, and an extra for someone who wants to ride but doesn’t have a bike available.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
shit....I think I have 8 in the garage right now...

I have two road bikes ('84 Specialized Allez - Campy Super Record, Cannondale S2000 CAAD4 , my Kona Stinky 5, and my retro'd 85 Specialized Rockhopper "gravel bike". Then there is our son's Trek 420, our daughter's Kona Scrap, wife's Mongoose fatbike (trying to get her into riding), and a friend's Trek Fuel 8 that I'm rebuilding the rear shock on.

talked to wife about getting daughter a new frame this winter and building up her Scrap as my DJ....I think I found the answer to s+1 in case anyone is interested. Rolleyes

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
Im at 7...

Enduro - YT Capra Pro Race 2018
Road - Giant TCR Adv. Pro 0 2021
Old Road - Giant Defy Adv 2016 (For Sale)
Gravel - Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021(For Sale)
All Road/Gravel/Tourer - Albannach Torragar custom build, titanium.
Tourer/Work Steed - Geneis Tour de Fer 10 2018
Single Speed track bike vibe - All City Big Block 2020

Bikes are all I do. No other half, no kids and I cycle for a living although not a pro of course.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
Currently 6, with a spare space for a nice hardtail next year.

Deviate Guide
Deviate Highlander
Santa Cruz 5010
Salsa Mukluk Carbon
Specialized Sequoia
Trek Madone

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
I have 4 and I am super happy with my current stable. I don't want or need anything else.

2021 Transition sentinel on full coils 165r/170f
2020 Kona Hei Hei built super light for boring local trails 120r / 140f
2021 Esker Japhy hardtail. Fork travel varies with mood and intention between 120 to 150
2015 Surly cross check with flat bars for cruising chicks.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
N+1 I'm pretty darn happy with my stable.

2019 YT Jeffsy Cf pro race (my fav)
2013 Giant XTC
2014 Giant Anthem
2014 Trek Session 88
2008 Specialized Transition Comp (permanent trainer bike)
2018 New Belgium cruiser (won in a raffle)

I've considered a new DH bike but that Session 88 is perfect for the +/- 10 days of DH riding I do nowadays. I've debated getting a gravel bike but the XTC is perfectly fine for that.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
Only 1 Frown but it's a 2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude custom build so I'm pretty happy with it

I may hang my old slayer frame that I have kicking around on my wall because why not?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.198852
Mobile Version of Website