Insurgent V3 i9 hydra builds except just kidding no i9 hydras

PB Forum :: Evil
Insurgent V3 i9 hydra builds except just kidding no i9 hydras
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
Cross post from the old thread:

jhatfie wrote:
bikingbad wrote:
After 4 months wait, took delivery of a new Insurgent GX build from Summit Bicycles. It came with Sunringle Duroc SD 37 wheel set and not Industry Nine Enduro S Hydra as it is suppose to. Anyone else had this happen? What may have happened here?

Sent email to Summit and waiting response (closed weekend).
My buddy had his new insurgent show up with the same wheels. I'm guessing it is a supply issue substitution although those wheels do not seem like a equivalent or better item in my mind.

I picked up my mixed wheel gx insurgent from there as well. Same situation. I don't mind some minor paint chips here and there considering I'm going to beat the shit out of this bike as I usually do, but the wheel thing is pretty lame.

I was hyped to finally own a set of i9's, and was one of the main reasons I opted for an Evil instead of a Spindrift. I actually got BOTH front and rear replaced with Duroc 37's. Not a single i9 here. I'm waiting to ride it until I sort this out first. If the waits on i9's are 16 weeks, idk what the issue is when the bike also took 16 weeks.

A comparable wheel would've been ok, but this is a $600 wheelset, where enduro hydra's run $1k+

FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
Seems like this year is the exact reason we have been subjected to the “parts spec subject to change” clause forever. Except it hasn’t really been a tangible issue until now. Hope you guys get your wheels sorted. I waited 3 months for brakes and headset, then when I finally swapped to second choice part and got my build on the dirt, the other parts showed up.

My takeaway was, f it, better to be riding the new ride with small compromises, than not riding at all. In your boat, I would work with the vendor to get an appropriate credit/refund/ whatever towards the sub-spec part, and be riding while deciding how to deal with it.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
initforthedonuts wrote:
Seems like this year is the exact reason we have been subjected to the “parts spec subject to change” clause forever. Except it hasn’t really been a tangible issue until now. Hope you guys get your wheels sorted. I waited 3 months for brakes and headset, then when I finally swapped to second choice part and got my build on the dirt, the other parts showed up.

My takeaway was, f it, better to be riding the new ride with small compromises, than not riding at all. In your boat, I would work with the vendor to get an appropriate credit/refund/ whatever towards the sub-spec part, and be riding while deciding how to deal with it.

Evil told me bike was shipped to shop without i9 wheels as i9 wheels were unavailable. The shop installs available wheels and should’ve communicated the spec change, if any, at time of purchase or prior to shipping.
The shop told me they received the bike from Evil with Sunringle.
In the end, shop provided refund for the wheel, and although it’s not enough to cover full cost of a i9 replacement it was close enough for me to accept it.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
bikingbad wrote:
initforthedonuts wrote:

Evil told me bike was shipped to shop without i9 wheels as i9 wheels were unavailable. The shop installs available wheels and should’ve communicated the spec change, if any, at time of purchase or prior to shipping.
The shop told me they received the bike from Evil with Sunringle.
In the end, shop provided refund for the wheel, and although it’s not enough to cover full cost of a i9 replacement it was close enough for me to accept it.

Yeah what I'm worried about is that they offer a refund for the msrp difference, which is what, like $340? Idk if that's what they did for you(difference in front wheels being $150), but I'm curious to know the details if you want to PM me so I have some numbers to negotiate with.

No one's going to buy these Sun's for more than $400 even new, so I'm probably stuck with them. I'll end up needing to spend another $600 or so just to swap them myself to get a set of i9's built with some stans rims or whatever I can even find, just to have something similar to what I was expecting from the beginning This whole thing sucks. If summit would've told me earlier I would've just said give me the bike with no wheels and $1k to source my own i9's, or order me some hubs(shorter wait) and build me something with 690 POE instead of 30 lmao.

Oh well I'll let everyone knows what comes from this, its been about 3 days of phone-tag with summit still waiting for the guy in charge of the sale to reach out to me.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 20:34 Quote
I just took receipt of my Insurgent V3 MX (size L) from Summit bikes. I noticed the different rims/hubs when I had their tech throw it on the rack for tuning before I drove home with it. I called the Mgr in Los Gatos (picked it up on the peninsula) and he apologized for not proactively notifying me. We discussed the $$$ difference between the sunringle Duroc 37 and I9 which amounted to $500. I was going to upgrade a major component anyways, so they sold that component to me for their costs which equaled the difference in rim/hub price +$100 and I was happy.

I totally agree not telling us was not a good way to handle the situation but I wouldn't have received the bike until summer or longer which was a show stopper for me. I had a trip planned for Moab in April, and I was not about to ride my 26" Blur LTC out there on this bucket list event.
I am over the situation as they were more than flexible and caught in a tough situation with 30 Evils sold but no way to get them to their customers for the foreseeable future..

The Sunringle Duroc is a Enduro quality rim, but when we drop $7K++ we expect everything to be as advertised.
PM me if you want more detail on the situation.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
Anyone replace their Rockshox coil shock on v3 Insurgent with fox float x2?
What mounting hardware did you use? I transferred the inner pin from Rockshox to Fox but the outer spacers make it too wide and won’t fit. Only way it fits is to use one of the two spacers on one side.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
I also got Sunringle rims on my Insurgent. Incredibly disapointed as I ordered the bike last June and received it in January which should've been plenty of time to get the proper components. Summit is really not communicating well with me either. Super frustrated and disapointed and not really sure what to do. I guess maybe I just take the $500 and get it over with but I really want a decent set of wheels on there

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
alpenflow wrote:
I also got Sunringle rims on my Insurgent. Incredibly disapointed as I ordered the bike last June and received it in January which should've been plenty of time to get the proper components. Summit is really not communicating well with me either. Super frustrated and disapointed and not really sure what to do. I guess maybe I just take the $500 and get it over with but I really want a decent set of wheels on there

I hear you, did you get 27.5 or MX? Both wheels Sunringle? it’s nearly impossible to buy i9 Hydra wheel set now and even if you do find it it’ll cost $1k+.
Luckily I was able to find one front wheel for $380, $130 more than Summit refund.

Seems to me they’re over promising (with delivery date) in order to attract buyers. I don’t know of any other shops providing estimated delivery date. But then when they receive bikes from Evil without the wheels, whatever wheels they can get their hands on are installed and sent out to customers. I assume majority of customers end up keeping the bike, with or without refund. What makes it worse is the lack of communication on spec change, finding out when you open the box is not a pleasant experience.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
MX and both wheels are Sunringle. I have now been waiting 2 weeks for a response to my email. Gonna try to get it resolved asap but I would not reccomend buying from Summit

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
alpenflow wrote:
MX and both wheels are Sunringle. I have now been waiting 2 weeks for a response to my email. Gonna try to get it resolved asap but I would not reccomend buying from Summit

Same here. been a week of phone calls saying the rep will get in touch though. Hubs aren't hard to get, I wonder if we could just get summit to build some wheels with some dt or stans rims.

I'm really starting to wonder what their ROI is on not telling anyone about the wheels. I mean out of 30 bikes where everyone complains and ends up with a refund, maybe 2 people don't notice and they end up making an extra $500 and 28 angry customers? From a financial standpoint that doesn't even make any sense Rolleyes

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 14:42 Quote
alpenflow wrote:

That’s gotta be frustrating. Keep calling and emailing. Seems I was lucky to get at least one i9 rear wheel.
Now I’m waiting for them to send me the missing bag with all paperwork including extra volume tokens for Zeb fork. Nothing else was in the box, just the bike. These tokens are impossible to find in stock.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
bikingbad wrote:
alpenflow wrote:

That’s gotta be frustrating. Keep calling and emailing. Seems I was lucky to get at least one i9 rear wheel.
Now I’m waiting for them to send me the missing bag with all paperwork including extra volume tokens for Zeb fork. Nothing else was in the box, just the bike. These tokens are impossible to find in stock.

Might be the luckiest guy in this thread. The guy at the shop said all the other mx's waiting for pickup were full sun's. The zeb comes with 1 token, two extras in the bag. I'm running a second one but I might take it out. The newer debonair's already sit pretty high in their travel thanks to the newer seal head.

If you're in the area and you need one to get you by, u can have one of my extras just hmu (btw its the same 35mm tokens from the lyriks, I probably have some more laying around from my old lyrik too)

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 16:03 Quote
GunnarGunnarGunnar wrote:
bikingbad wrote:
alpenflow wrote:

Might be the luckiest guy in this thread. The guy at the shop said all the other mx's waiting for pickup were full sun's. The zeb comes with 1 token, two extras in the bag. I'm running a second one but I might take it out. The newer debonair's already sit pretty high in their travel thanks to the newer seal head.

If you're in the area and you need one to get you by, u can have one of my extras just hmu (btw its the same 35mm tokens from the lyriks, I probably have some more laying around from my old lyrik too)

Thanks for the offer but I’m in Virginia, if I run out of patience I’ll ask around. Sold a used Pike last year along with its 35mm tokens. Didn’t know that about new debonair.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 16:22 Quote
bikingbad wrote:
GunnarGunnarGunnar wrote:
bikingbad wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I’m in Virginia, if I run out of patience I’ll ask around. Sold a used Pike last year along with its 35mm tokens. Didn’t know that about new debonair.

If u image search a 2020 debonair seal head to the newer 2021+ C1 seal head u can see the difference. Idk how it works but it’s a game changer. I had a solo air 2017 Lyrik that I put a debonair in, and then eventually a 2021 C1 seal head and it was a game changer. Went from running 4 tokens to 2.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
After looking at summit cycles customer reviews online and hearing how they handled the situation with wheel sets on peoples evil’s I would say to stay far away from this scummy and incompetent company!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009527
Mobile Version of Website