135mm vrs 150mm rear end

PB Forum :: Downhill
135mm vrs 150mm rear end
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 20:08 Quote
hey so i was just wondering what is so much better about having a 150mm rear spacing on your bike rather than having a 135mm ?

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
150 rear end's use a 12mm thru-axle, opposed to either a 9mm QR or 10mm thru-axle.

Bigger axle=stiffer.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 20:10 Quote
g10ry wrote:
hey so i was just wondering what is so much better about having a 150mm rear spacing on your bike rather than having a 135mm ?

Stiffer
Stronger
Wider (negligable)
heavier (negligable)
Durability mainly

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 7:54 Quote
Well, a 150mm rear end will be stiffer and somewhat stronger than the 135mm rear end since it is using a solid axel as opposed to a quick release. But its not going to matter a great deal unless your doing large drops to flat and landing directly on the back wheel. Plus 135mm hubs are cheaper, so you get a benifit there.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:00 Quote
Well you can get 135x12 axles aswell.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
ok so for me i dont think a 150mm will make much of a diffrence over 135mm. cause im only 135lbs im not going to snap anything

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:14 Quote
better chainline and equal dish on the spokes

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
there isn't a real advantage to the wheels/ hub strength they are 135mm hubs but with added spacers or similar to make up the extra 15mm.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:23 Quote
sykesy wrote:
there isn't a real advantage to the wheels/ hub strength they are 135mm hubs but with added spacers or similar to make up the extra 15mm.

Have you ever even seen a 150mm hub? It sure doesn't sound like it.

150 rear hubs are so much stronger than a 135. I have broken 135 rear hubs and I have yet to break a 150. I am not just talking about the dish of the wheel. It is a very well known fact that 150 hubs are stronger than 135 hubs and the weight difference is marginal at best. There are so many other place where you can shave the extra few grams of weight between a 150 and 135 rear hub that weight reduction is not a very good argument at all. I mean just putting 6 ti bolts to replace the ones in your rotors will probably save you way more weight than a 150 to 135 hub would! There are multiple advantages to a 150 rear hub and that is why so many companies use them on their burly DH and FR rigs. They often make for a stiffer rear end; better wheel track which helps with achieving a straighter chainline, a stronger rear hub, and the list goes on. I know if I had to choose another bike, it would more than likely be a 150 rear end.

taken from Laurie who knows her Sh*t

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
yer, like 3 minutes ago when i was truing my rear wheels i saw a 135 and a 150 so i do know what they look like Big Grin , i got that from dirt so don't blame me! i seriously doubt 15mm is gonna make a much of a difference, in fact there are a fair few manufacturers bringing back 135mm, oranges evo being one of them.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:41 Quote
The Oranges already have one of the flexy-est rear ends, but they choose their own fate so good for them. Companies are offering the 135 option as many buy their "expensive" bikes as frame only and don't want to shell out more cash for a new hub, or want to have a greater selection of cranks. 99% of 150 rear spacing bikes use the 83mm bb which currently is pretty limited for a light crankset (Shimano XT or XTR for example).

They provide many benefits which have already been mentioned and they aren't just 135 hubs with spacers (why I was asking if you'd ever seen one). The chainline they provide, the ability of not having to dish your wheel, more options for designers as the linkage can be further apart, but the stiffness is the manin benefit. With the larger width on the axle, the hub can dramatically stiffen out the rear end of the bike. They also tend to be more reliable as Laurie had mentioned. If the cost is prohibitive, you pay the price to play.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
im glad someone knows their shit (the guy above me).

the axel is a non issue since you do get 135x12 hubs.
its 100% the dish of the wheel that makes it stronger. its almost a zero dish wheel i think. the wheel track...im not sure how that makes any difference (not doubting you, i just dont understand it).

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
not spacers, sorry, if you look at the actual part of the hubs the spokes lace onto it is no wider or only by a small amount on a 150mm than a 135, so there is no benefit as in supporting and having the rim held stiffer, yes the frame benefits from the extra width. i was just using the 224 as an example, i'm sure if they beefed up the rear end on a 135mm frame it could be just as tough though. There are benfits to having a narrower rear, which allen milyard incorporated by having a 100mm width rear end on the 2nd version of his bike.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
It's not the width of where the spokes are it's how the wheels must be built to be centered. Wheels should be built so that the rim is centered exactly between the axle ends on the hub. In the case of rear wheels, the spokes attach to flanges which are not symmetrical...the right flange is usually closer to the centerline than the left flange, to make room for the sprocket(s) on a 135.

When rear wheels are built properly, the spokes on the right side are made tighter than those on the left side. This pulls the rim to the right, so that it is centered with respect to the axle (and to the frame.) Viewed edgewise, a rear wheel built this way resembles a dish, or bowl, since the left spokes form a broad cone, while the right spokes are nearly flat. A 150 rear end doesn't have this and has the force distributed more widely over the spokes making it stronger. Ever seen a dished wheel center itself, shitty walk home is what happens as the rear wheel won't turn.

the Millyard II is a single sided swingarm that encompasses a chain. It's thick and strong, it can afford to have the smaller rear end.

Mod
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
Some people will never learn and comprehend/understand the benefits of a 150 rear hub/rear end and therefore, I have come to help and conclude this argument with something all of Pinkbike needs to know: 150 rear hubs/rear ends are better than 135! Typical noobish answer yes but the truth must be told in a way that the mechanically deprived/un-inclined will understand.

PS. Way to rip what I said in another thread.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008291
Mobile Version of Website