Powered by Outside

Juicy ultimates for freeriding and dh?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Juicy ultimates for freeriding and dh?
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
i kow that the ultimates are said to be lightweight cross country brakes but i have seen them on fr/dh bikes, and wondering if that is a good decision or not, i know the shimano xt's look very similiar and they are used regulary on fr/dh bikes, im looking for power but wanting to save weight, other options are codes or the shimano xt's or any other suggestions, i have also seeen what are being called 'code ultimates' and am wondering if they are available as an aftermarket part in any possible way! any information is appreciated Big Grin Salute

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 18:55 Quote
I'd say they'd be good for racing, they're nice and lightweight.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
You can now buy avid calipers and levers separately so yeah you can build any combo you want. The Ultimates are fine for FR/DH. They are just a lightened Juicy. They are functionally identical. Personally I would throw Straitline lever blades on them. The one big disadvantage is they aren't available packaged with big rotors so you'd have to buy rotors and adapters. Personally I'd go with XT or XTR. They are just so much more consistent, have better modulation, and have more power. Shimano systems are the bomb.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
Seriously? So could I order a Code 5 caliper and then use it with my Juicy 5 lever?

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
cdavis wrote:
Seriously? So could I order a Code 5 caliper and then use it with my Juicy 5 lever?

Yes.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
freerideguy1 wrote:
i kow that the ultimates are said to be lightweight cross country brakes but i have seen them on fr/dh bikes, and wondering if that is a good decision or not

I'll tell you in 6 months. I just hope DM is somewhat wrong, sadly he never is.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
id check into the new formula The One brakes if you have the $$$.

strong yet very light

front 241 g
rear 251 g

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:20 Quote
^^^ Plus 170 grams each for rotor.

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:41 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
^^^ Plus 170 grams each for rotor.

Plus adapters and hardwear. Formula is a little sketchy like that. Nonetheless, this is a product I'm VERY interested in.

Mod
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
I've run Ultimate levers paired with Code calipers. The power was amazing, on par with Codes obviously. I actually found them far too powerful, just like any Codes I've tried. I'm back on regular Juicy 7 Carbons and love them. I feel like the I'm one with the brake....As corny as that sounds. In the short amount of time I've ridden Ultimates they felt just as powerful and modulation was very similar.

We have some Formula One brakes that will be tested soon here at PB.....

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
aright so from what i gather is that you can buy levers and calipers seperatly, so i could potentially build some code ultimates, the only question is i have no clue where to by them seperatly as far as i know the lbs doesnt have them yet? willl they or do you have to order from sram or some other place ?

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:10 Quote
i would not suggest ultimate levers, one fall or one tree and they are toast, i snapped 2 levers and my friend snapped 3. your best bet is 7 calipers with either a 7/6 or 8/6 set up. you will lose more weight with a smaller rotor then a small caliper.
ultimate set up would be Formula the one with 7/6 , it will have plenty of power and great podulation and about the same weight as an 8/8 set up on ultimates (also do not run anything smaller then an 8 on ultimate calipers for dh, they will heat up 2 much)

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
i would definatly swap out the levers for some straitline levers so no problem with the levers

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:14 Quote
freerideguy1 wrote:
i would definatly swap out the levers for some straitline levers so no problem with the levers

i am not talking about the lever blades, i am talking about the entire lever, i snapped 2 lever bodies, i.e. the entire casting

Mod
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 20:16 Quote
I should have mentioned that I had nothing but reliability trouble with the code/ultimate combo. When they worked it worked great (like I said, maybe to great actually), but I had to constantly bleed them. After 3 or 4 days of riding the lever pull would be excessive and mushy. There was no leaks in the line and the lever reach screw was staying in place. I've heard of other Code/ulti. combos doing the same and others working fine....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009784
Mobile Version of Website