Powered by Outside

How do you build a teeter

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How do you build a teeter
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
i know there are alot of different ways but not sure what way to use, could you tell me what way you used or how you did it.

thanks

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
depends what its on and how goo you want it to be. like if u just want a pos on the ground you nail a log to a 2x4. but otherwise you make two box type this and then nail a log or a round peice of wood to a 2x4 and then you but the two boxes on either side of your round peice of wood (which is the pivot point) and then you nail the two boxes two what ever its on

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
i drew a picture

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
thanks

any other ways?

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:47 Quote
yes there are harder ways

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
you can rais it or by like a triangle type structure under eadch box. and there are other ways of attaching it. but if you make the boxes fit snugly it works well. but make sure ur one side is longer so that once your off it it goes back to how it was originally

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
You can get these big a$$ brackets that have a big half circle in them and if you get three you can attach one to the 2x4 and then the other 2 to what ever size box you choose then run a big heavy dowel through all three so it acts exactly like a hinge. It's kind of costly but its buttery smooth and extremely strong.

Posted: May 31, 2008 at 22:26 Quote
i put a pipe over a smaller pipe and welded blockers so it wont com off and welded plates to bolt the teeter to for my 8 ft tall teeter drop off

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 17:36 Quote
i started by building bolting down a round steel rod on the bottom of a plank slightey of center (so the teeter will reset) and then build "craddles" for either side of the rod to lay in with some angle iron and secured it inside so it couldnt pop out of the slots. good luck on your teeterSalute

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
when i built mine i had the 2 beems going across then one from tree to tree then to small peices of wood on each side to keep it from sliding, easy, simply and efective.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
Here are some close up pics of the teeter I just built in my back yard. I planted 2 2X6 post in the ground for the fulcrum tower. I constructed a base out of 2X8 to stabilize it long ways. You need to place the cross 2X4 bracing down from the main posts to the base to stabilize it properly. Also you want to brace the two 2X6 posts together to keep them from pulling away from the middle. I used a 1 1/2 inch diameter by 24" iron pipe for the pivot point. The actual teeter is made out of 2X6 framing the length of it is about 14 feet in total. You'll want to put the pivot point near the middle and the counterweight at the end you want to keep returning to the ground. I used pieces of steel and thick wood to counter weight it. You may also want to take some old bike tires, cut them up, and nail or screw them on the bottom ends so when the teeter comes down it pads the impact.
P.S. I suggest using ACQ treated screws, they last a long time and hold better than nails. If you're on a budget nails will work just fine though.
Sorry that was long winded. Hope this helps out.
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
For a more detailed guide to building a top quality teeter, check out the following link. Good pictures, great design. http://www.xtnw.com/teeter.htm

Enjoy.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 19:20 Quote
photo

all this one took was 1 4x4
4 2x4x14'
1 sheet plywood
and a metal pipe
then u just offset the fulcrum by a few inches in one direction

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
^^could have spaced the slats out more to save wood

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017214
Mobile Version of Website