Powered by Outside

Specialized Vs. Trek

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Vs. Trek
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:05 Quote
Specialized and Trek are probably the top 2 bike companies in the world. Their technology has excelled extremely in their road bikes. The question is who has more technology in their mountain bike field?

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:07 Quote
specialized thats my2 cents I haven't even ever seen a trek moutain bike i here they exist thoughConfused

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:09 Quote
uhhh, cam mccaul???? trekkk hellooooo. Even though I agree Trek really isn't big for me at least in the ountain industry, Cam is up there advertising it pretty well.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:09 Quote
If you're suggesting that either one is the most technologically advanced company out there then you're insane. Both of them have not innovated at all in the last 12 years. The only exception in Trek's Split-Pivot this year and that's nothing special. OCLV is some of the most out-dated carbon technology in the industry. FSR is a time-tested design that works well but again not a huge breakthru. Specialized doesn't innovate they steal technology from little guys.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:10 Quote
thats hard to say the session 10 is a monster but the demos r f*cking amazing

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:12 Quote
hey!!! iron horse is up there too!!!!! ive only heard GREAT things about iron horse

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 21:13 Quote
TaylorSmith- wrote:
hey!!! iron horse is up there too!!!!! ive only heard GREAT things about iron horse

Great bikes (I've got two) but IH doesn't innovate. DW did the one big innovation for them.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:06 Quote
if you cut through all the marketing and hype bullshit i think trek has a better product in the end. plus they still have bikes hand made here, not by some machine run by a worker paid in rice overseas.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:10 Quote
Damn it people. Where a bike is made has nothing to do with quality anymore. First of all Trek does not make their bikes by hand. Tai workers have a much better work ethic. The manufacturing quality is usually much better than similar American made frames.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:14 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Damn it people. Where a bike is made has nothing to do with quality anymore. First of all Trek does not make their bikes by hand. Tai workers have a much better work ethic. The manufacturing quality is usually much better than similar American made frames.

go to the trek factory in waterloo wisconsin(like I have) and tell me that there aren't americans laying up the carbon in their oclv frames by HAND? And up untill this year (which is a shame) all their full suspension mtb frames were handbuilt in wisconsin as well. I believe their sessions still are. Well the 10 now.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:20 Quote
cr8urban wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

go to the trek factory in waterloo wisconsin(like I have) and tell me that there aren't americans laying up the carbon in their oclv frames by HAND? And up untill this year (which is a shame) all their full suspension mtb frames were handbuilt in wisconsin as well. I believe their sessions still are. Well the 10 now.

Laying the carbon in the mold and wrapping joints are very small parts of the carbon manufacturing process. My brain does not think in carbon anyway because it's a waste of money. Their high-end frames are indeed made in the US but that means nothing.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:21 Quote
why does it matter where it comes from? Why would America build a better bike than Taiwan. They probably wouldn't.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:24 Quote
stephen wrote:
why does it matter where it comes from? Why would America build a better bike than Taiwan. They probably wouldn't.

It doesn't matter. Somehow these people are equating that with quality and innovation. They are thinking totally backwards.

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 22:45 Quote
cr8urban wrote:
if you cut through all the marketing and hype bullshit trek has a better product in the end. plus they still have bikes hand made here, not by some machine run by a worker paid in rice overseas.
f*ck you just cause things are made in China doesn't mean they're horribly made and paid by rice dipshit

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 14:26 Quote
for all you people saying why does it matter where a frame comes from just try to consider this. If your frames are being made overseas and you are located in the states, you have to have QC people overseas and chances are you can't afford many. Bikes are expensive to produce and there is no way you could have as many QC employees overseas as if your factory was next to your head quarters. At trek all an employee needed to do to make sure my session frame was perfect was to drive over to the production facility and find out. There is much less communication involved and less of a chance for mistakes. Trust me it's how things work, products are constantly screwed up overseas due to errors in translation, and breakdowns in communication. From my personal experience and opinions(which this question was about, and no one else has provided any real examples) my us made session 77 frame was far better quality than my taiwan made bullit frame that I am riding now. on my bullit The headtube was out of tolerance, and the shock mounts were off. My session all the welds were perfect, and everything was perfect tolerance. Keep in mind that these are similarily priced and made for the same purpose. Now I encourage anyone to prove me wrong, but instead of name calling how bout some actuall evidence to back up your claims rather then "you're dumb, specialized rulz" type crap. This is what I hate about threads like these because 90% of posts are just hearsay and have no merit to back them up.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009882
Mobile Version of Website