Powered by Outside

Petition to start *****LEGAL DIRT JUMPS IN CALGARY*****

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Petition to start *****LEGAL DIRT JUMPS IN CALGARY*****
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
hey i was just wondering if there is a general intrest in going down to city hall and demanding some legal dirt jumps for the city, im tired of having to rebuild dirt jumps every month because dog walkers dont like seeing some young kids have fun. I know this has been tried in the past but it all seemed to fail so i want to start it upo again, because there are plenty of bikers in calgary that dont have the chance to make it up to cop because they live in the deep south so anyways express your opinions on this and lets make some action.Big Grin

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
eatdirtsleepridens wrote:
hey i was just wondering if there is a general intrest in going down to city hall and demanding some legal dirt jumps for the city, im tired of having to rebuild dirt jumps every month because dog walkers dont like seeing some young kids have fun. I know this has been tried in the past but it all seemed to fail so i want to start it upo again, because there are plenty of bikers in calgary that dont have the chance to make it up to cop because they live in the deep south so anyways express your opinions on this and lets make some action.Big Grin
Where are you building the jumps? Sometimes it's also us Mtn Bikers that don't like seeing them in certain places. But I wish you luck on this, because you are going the right way about it.
However the city won't build a DJ park because of legal liability. On the North Shore in the late 90's, a kid broke his neck on a stunt, and his folks sued the city of Vancouver. So the whole scene has taken a hit because everyone is afraid of getting sued. If I let you build a Jump park on my property, and someone got hurt, I could still get sued even if you signed a waiver, because lawyers always find a way.
This is just the way it is now.
Good Luck anyway

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 16:07 Quote
well all around vancouver and area there are dirt jump parks that jay hoots has built on city property i have been to some of these and all they have is a sign that says wear a helmet always and by using this park you cannot sue the city so i was thinking that we could lease city land the city would let us use it for 5-10 years depends what they want to give us and then after the 5- 10 years are up they would build something on the property, the city has plenty of this land in the city, and my grandad might know a few guys in city land who he did a few favors for back in the day so that might help a littleSmile Construction

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 8:27 Quote
eatdirtsleepridens wrote:
well all around vancouver and area there are dirt jump parks that jay hoots has built on city property i have been to some of these and all they have is a sign that says wear a helmet always and by using this park you cannot sue the city so i was thinking that we could lease city land the city would let us use it for 5-10 years depends what they want to give us and then after the 5- 10 years are up they would build something on the property, the city has plenty of this land in the city, and my grandad might know a few guys in city land who he did a few favors for back in the day so that might help a littleSmile Construction

You are a smart cookie. I think you are on to something here, so keep at it. Hey, if Columbus didn't think the world was flat, we'd all be Europeans!
So get some help from your Grandad and take this to the next level.
You will have to set up the petition soon and I'd gladly sign it.
Stick with it Dude, and good luck.
Try contacting City Parks and Recreation, or see what you get with the 311 system.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
ya ive contacted city land which is our best bet and they are like a brick wall trying to get through to the head guys but we finally got thorugh i will post up what happens later today

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
I know there are people in the parks department that are looking into creating a city dirt jump park, I think they have been working with the CMBA on this and in contact with other citys and groups that have done this sort of thing. Although I wouldn't get too excited about it, since they've been talking about it for years...

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 16:20 Quote
Personally I don't see the novelty of building a DJ park.... It's not that I don't enjoy jumping my bike, it just gets old REALLY FAST. I think maybe you should focus on city transportation to COP or more leniency for off path trails in the parks specifically for MTB. Or build a wooden booter and take it to a hill.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
I'd be down for some DJs in Calgary, the only problem (besides dealing with the city of calgary) is location, Calgary is just too big to have a central dj spot, you could build one anywhere in the suburbs but still unless its close to a train station its just gonna be the people who live nearby who get to ride it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 10:19 Quote
i have allready put that into condiseration

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
akirizu wrote:
Personally I don't see the novelty of building a DJ park.... It's not that I don't enjoy jumping my bike, it just gets old REALLY FAST. I think maybe you should focus on city transportation to COP or more leniency for off path trails in the parks specifically for MTB. Or build a wooden booter and take it to a hill.

Dirt jumping never gets old,you probably just suck.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
galen99 wrote:
akirizu wrote:

i have to agree with galen
the only way dirt jumping gets old is if you treat your jumps like cop does
if you don't change things then its gonna get old
and transportation to cop would probably just make it get ever more older then it is

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
galen99 wrote:
akirizu wrote:

lol or i prefer to go mach speeds downhill and hit the odd jump rather then going up and down 40 times in a row........

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
akirizu wrote:
galen99 wrote:
akirizu wrote:

lol or i prefer to go mach speeds downhill and hit the odd jump rather then going up and down 40 times in a row........

thats what cop is for but they need better trail care and shit like that

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
ok guys back on track who is interested in going down to the city and getting us a dj park?

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
First, I think that working with the CMBA (Calgary mountain bike alliance) would provide the best leverage. CMBA

Second, is research. Before anybody goes to the city saying that we need to build a dirt jump park...you need to have all the bases covered in terms of location, liability, maintenence, financing etc. Here's a basic list off of Jay Hoots' site: Hoots How To

Canmore and Banff both have parks. Here's a link to the sites (with some history) Banff bike park, Canmore bike park. Also Terrace, BC has built a huge park that started with the Terrace off-road cycling association Terrace mega park.

Good luck to you. Big Grin You're doing good work taking the initiative.

Remember working with the gov't is like hitting your head against a wall Madder

I am meeting with the city in the fall to find a venue to run a mountain bike skills camp.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011127
Mobile Version of Website