Remote Flashes

PB Forum :: NBR Photos
Remote Flashes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:47 Quote
I've been looking around at external flashes and how you can use them as Wireless Slaves I think they are called, I just call it a remote flash. Anyways, I am getting prepared to start doing a lot of shooting of snowboarding during the season. I've noticed that the sickest shots are produced with remote flashes and external lighting.

I have been doing a little bit of digging and everything I seem to turn up is instructions on how to setup the flashes and which flashes have it prebuilt for every nikon camera EXCEPT the D40. I figured since I am a casual shooter that I would pick up the Nikon Speedlight (SB400) which uses the i-TTL flash which is what the explanations usually explain how to modify with the other cameras.

It may have seemed like I knew what I was talking about there but I just threw out words I came across, so someone with some hardware knowledge share some love please.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 6:50 Quote
I dont have any remote flash setups...but from what I can see, using a Pocket Wizard is the ebst way to go. I'm not sure of the price but it seems like quite the tool for setting up one or more remote flashes.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 11:56 Quote
As nice as that would be to have, I think thats overkill for me. Plus Im sure its out of my price range and I would have to go on a search for it.

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 at 0:46 Quote
an alternative to remote flash - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2531087/

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
if your super keen on gettin your flash around you should look into gettin "PC cables" or "Sync cables" the cheapest way of getting your flash off camera.

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
Two things. The Nikon D40 dose not have a built in triggering system. Also the SB-400 will not trigger them. there are two ways of going about this. either A get 2 sb-600's/800's/900's put one on the camera as the master and set the other on a tripod as a slave. if you do not want light coming from the camera only from the remote flash i would invest in some triggers/receivers such as Pocket wizards which is a good choice but can be very expensive. Another choice would be CyberSync by Alien bees. When using these types of triggers you will need the Nikon SB-800's or 900's for the 600's do not have the mono plug that is needed. there are other ways of doing wireless flash buy going with portable studio lights such as Alien bees B400 strobe unit but these can also be very pricey.

I apologize if i have confused you. if so just as to clear things up.

Good luck,
-David

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:30 Quote
you won't be able to use i-ttl with remote triggers unfortunatly.

I acctually would suggest grabbin some old Vivitar 285-HV flashes they're massive and by know means should ever be mounted into your cameras hot shoe, but they're great and full manual. Can usually find them for around 50 bucks on ebay!

for triggers 3 I recommend are- Pocket wizards- will be 650+ by the time you've gotten cables and junk (for 2 flash set up)

Ellinchrom Skyports (universal) run you a little over 300, pretty sweet faster and longer range then P-dubs, but not NEARLY as rugged.

Alien Bee Cyber Sync's never used them, but I'm buying a set pretty quick, will cost around 320, and are essentially mini P-dubs.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:32 Quote
photographe wrote:
if your super keen on gettin your flash around you should look into gettin "PC cables" or "Sync cables" the cheapest way of getting your flash off camera.

the Nikon Sync cable is around 100$

my old Ebay radio slaves where all of 50$ and worked well for 2 flashes.

you can get flash slaves (have to hit them with a flash) can be had for 20 bucks, if you're camera doesn't have a commander mode.

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
franktherabbit wrote:

I acctually would suggest grabbin some old Vivitar 285-HV flashes they're massive and by know means should ever be mounted into your cameras hot shoe, but they're great and full manual. Can usually find them for around 50 bucks on ebay!

for triggers 3 I recommend are- Pocket wizards- will be 650+ by the time you've gotten cables and junk (for 2 flash set up)

Ellinchrom Skyports (universal) run you a little over 300, pretty sweet faster and longer range then P-dubs, but not NEARLY as rugged.

Alien Bee Cyber Sync's never used them, but I'm buying a set pretty quick, will cost around 320, and are essentially mini P-dubs.

You can get alien bee's CyberSync triggers way cheaper then 320. for the on camera trigger and 2 off camera receivers it is only like 230.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
DavidMcComb wrote:
franktherabbit wrote:

You can get alien bee's CyberSync triggers way cheaper then 320. for the on camera trigger and 2 off camera receivers it is only like 230.

any other place to buy off then direct?

Was 59.00 for the transmitter and 89.00 per Battery powered reciver. plus you're likly going to need appropriate cables.

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
franktherabbit wrote:
DavidMcComb wrote:
franktherabbit wrote:

Was 59.00 for the transmitter and 89.00 per Battery powered reciver. plus you're likly going to need appropriate cables.

the only cables you need is a 1/8th inch mono plug to 1/8th in mono plug with are 3.99 at radio shake. 230-250 max for 2 wireless flash setup

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
DavidMcComb wrote:
franktherabbit wrote:
DavidMcComb wrote:

the only cables you need is a 1/8th inch mono plug to 1/8th in mono plug with are 3.99 at radio shake. 230-250 max for 2 wireless flash setup

depends on what you're using, alot of people require Hot shoe adapters, and if they're using older cameras you likly need other cables, but I haven't personally used them (should change soon)

where did you get yours from?

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
I collect mine off the website. I am pretty sure that the only place to get them here in Alberta. The on camera remote will fit any camera from 2006 to current day i believe i was told. also they can send up to 350-400 ft depending on the surroundings. I am sure they could go to 450 if there is nothing intercepting it.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
DavidMcComb wrote:
I collect mine off the website. I am pretty sure that the only place to get them here in Alberta. The on camera remote will fit any camera from 2006 to current day i believe i was told. also they can send up to 350-400 ft depending on the surroundings. I am sure they could go to 450 if there is nothing intercepting it.

I meant the adapters for the flashes.

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
franktherabbit wrote:
DavidMcComb wrote:

I meant the adapters for the flashes.

oh haha my bad =S

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013735
Mobile Version of Website