Powered by Outside

handlebars sliping out. What do I do?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
handlebars sliping out. What do I do?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:38 Quote
I got a new bike and evertime I jump the handlbars move either foreward or backward.
i cleaned out the tons of grease that was in it and tightened the bars a ton and it still slips.

What do I do?

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:39 Quote
burn the grease with a torcg lighter or spray rubbing alcohol to dissolve the grease

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:40 Quote
Re-grease it, put the stem back on and tighten the bolts as tight as you can go, and if you ever feel the need, bring an allen key to the park with you soif they move you can fix them there.Salute

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
i got all the grease off the first time

i have tightened it as much as i can a couple times. and wouldnt the grease just make it more loose?

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
BrockMc wrote:
i got all the grease off the first time

i have tightened it as much as i can a couple times. and wouldnt the grease just make it more loose?
yeah,i dunno why is there need to put grease there anyway,make sure there is no oily residue in the bars contact area,and the stem ofcourse

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:47 Quote
it was completely clean when i put it back. my dad said either take sandpaper to is or use locktight or both but idk about that

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
maybe sand away the paint on the bars where the stem clamps on. but i've never run into this problem before. maybe a new stem?

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
gatoriswhite wrote:
maybe sand away the paint on the bars where the stem clamps on. but i've never run into this problem before. maybe a new stem?

ive had this problem on my last 2 bikes so i guess i just have bad luck. thanks

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:54 Quote
BrockMc wrote:
gatoriswhite wrote:

ive had this problem on my last 2 bikes so i guess i just have bad luck. thanks
also if you put a seatpost or a pole over the allan key it gives you more leverage so u can tighten the bolt even more:P

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 21:54 Quote
yeah is kinda difdficult to take off completely all of the grease inside the stem holes,your gonna have to clean it up more .then loctite,screw the bar good,and let it sit for the night,

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
maybe throw a shim shim in between the bars and the stem, that's what pplw ith regular bars and stems made for oversized bars do.

so maybe just a super thin shim? talk to your shop

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 22:07 Quote
g-off7 wrote:
maybe throw a shim shim in between the bars and the stem, that's what pplw ith regular bars and stems made for oversized bars do.

so maybe just a super thin shim? talk to your shop

k, i locktighted it and and the people at my shop hate anyone who doesnt road bike or xc mountain bike so its kinda hard to talk to them.

another thing was the back brakes arnt doing a lot, i want to take the front brakes off but if i do the back brakes wont be enough. i mainly do dirt jumps too

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
what bike is it. what type of stem is it. and what breaks are you running

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 22:16 Quote
yeah whats the brake, disc?

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 22:17 Quote
downhilljoker wrote:
what bike is it. what type of stem is it. and what breaks are you running

k2b mixer. stock k2b stem (i dont really know). tektro, sst oryg is what it said on the brakes. the bike is 2 days old

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008208
Mobile Version of Website