Powered by Outside

new to bmx, wrists=dead

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
new to bmx, wrists=dead
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
hey, so im new to bmx, like ive only been riding for 2 days. the other day we had a huge like 7-8 hour ride, and at the end my wrists were hurting so much it wasnt even funny, and today, the one still hurts ALOT.i was mostly doing stuff on banks, like 180s, disaters, alleyoops, and 180 flyputs, but i was also learning/doing wallrides. i was just wondering if this is normal, especially switching from mountain bike with front suspension. how long will it last before i get used to it? and is there anything i can do in the meantime, such as exercises for my wrists, or do i just tough it out and eventually it gets better?any help is appreceiated, thanks guysSalute

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
It's normal. Means you're currently a hucker. Just work on being smooth.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:23 Quote
land on your back wheel and use you legs to cushin the landing for your armsWink

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
autfloot wrote:
land on your back wheel and use you legs to cushin the landing for your armsWink

I find that whips the front tire down. Both wheels at the same time. Cush.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:25 Quote
sherbet wrote:
what do you mean im a hucker? and i was trying to be as smooth as possible, but ill keep that in mind!

sherbet wrote:
autfloot wrote:

yea, ive heard if you land on your front tire, it slams your front down, causing more strain on the wrists, so i was always trying to land both tires at once

jim-kaplan wrote:
sherbet wrote:
what do you mean im a hucker? and i was trying to be as smooth as possible, but ill keep that in mind!

Just means you're use to suspension saving you. Gotta be able to move those arms and legs as suspension.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
yea u just gotta go from being a balls to the wall hucker to a smooth bmx rider

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:29 Quote
bmx is balls to the wall, sean burns does bigger drops to flat than anyone on an mtb!

and its completely normal for the wrists to hurt, just gotta practice landing correctly, you'll get it naturally if you practice.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
drewfunk wrote:
bmx is balls to the wall, sean burns does bigger drops to flat than anyone on an mtb!

and its completely normal for the wrists to hurt, just gotta practice landing correctly, you'll get it naturally if you practice.
wut i mean is that bmx is much smoother, where as mtb, suspensions forgive any slight mishaps on ur landing

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
The thing is we take suspension for granted.
It helps us so much when we ride, however you will notice once you ride your BMX for a while, your mountain riding will become smoother.

Its just line choice, how your body is position, weight proportion, and most of all skill.

You will get used to it, its call "Iron Wrists". Be strong!

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:57 Quote
i've never had a problem with my wrists but i have big tires and run probably around 90-100 psi so that helps alot, and i can feel my bars flex abit when i land sometimes which takes away from the impact...

big tires are the best solution though...

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
The thing is we take suspension for granted.
It helps us so much when we ride, however you will notice once you ride your BMX for a while, your mountain riding will become smoother.

Its just line choice, how your body is position, weight proportion, and most of all skill.

You will get used to it, its call "Iron Wrists". Be strong!
i agree with that 100%. riding bmx even for a few weeks makes your trail riding amd downhill incredibly smooth.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
I think when i first got my bmx, my wrists were a little sore for a little bit but you get used to it and your muscles develop an intolerance to it, so dont worry, just keep riding and you'll be fine. It might be helpful to do wrist excercises for a while and it could help.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
jim-kaplan wrote:
sherbet wrote:
autfloot wrote:

yea, ive heard if you land on your front tire, it slams your front down, causing more strain on the wrists, so i was always trying to land both tires at once

I've once nose dive-d a 7 foot jump, it really kills, but only for a minute or two Razz
Both wheels at the same time is good.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009695
Mobile Version of Website