Powered by Outside

SAG Setup... HELP!!!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SAG Setup... HELP!!!!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
I have been attempting to set up my bike for rear sag. I'm a little confused or just stupid. Im including a screen shot of the spring rate calculator with all my data. It says my sag should be .71 of an inch. Is that correct? When I calculate I show 30% of 6.75 inches to be close to 2 inches. Whats wrong with me? I tried a setup last weekend and had aprox. sag of one inch and it seemed way to harsh. Am I doing this right?

Thanks for anyone that will help!!

here is the link to the calculator settings
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2458887/

P.S. I have a Giant Reign X1 w/ Fox DHX 3.0 700LBS spring

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
a vp frame (santa cruz, iron horse dw link etc.) recommended sag about 25-33% of travle. if its too harsh, try a heavier spring. or if its air, run more air pressure.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
try here and here, you're looking at a 650-700lbs spring for your weight

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
timmyelle wrote:
a vp frame (santa cruz, iron horse dw link etc.) recommended sag about 25-33% of travle. if its too harsh, try a heavier spring. or if its air, run more air pressure.

I was told that on my Socom (VPP technology) should run about 50% sag to feel the best it can.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
icon27 wrote:
I have been attempting to set up my bike for rear sag. I'm a little confused or just stupid. Im including a screen shot of the spring rate calculator with all my data. It says my sag should be .71 of an inch. Is that correct? When I calculate I show 30% of 6.75 inches to be close to 2 inches. Whats wrong with me? I tried a setup last weekend and had aprox. sag of one inch and it seemed way to harsh. Am I doing this right?

settinig it up for dh would be about 30% which would be 2 1/8 of an inch.. so your weight should compress your shock a little ofver 1/4 of the stroke of the shock ( it's important here to understand that although your bike has close to 7 " of travel your shock does not have that much stroke )

What bike ?? this would help diagnose problems as different frames have different leverage ratios//

Also, what shock, ? this would also help.

first set your sag///

then set your rebound ( red knob ) turning it clockwise increases the dampening ( your shock returns more slowly to its neutral position ) counter clockwise speed's it up.

you, ideally want it to return to neutral as quickly as possible without bucking you, you also want your fork and shock to have similar rebound.

Compression dampening ( blue dial ) is how progressive your shock is.. how much it will resist bottoming this is east start with no dempening and increase slowly as you ride till you are going through all your travel and not bottoming out..

Ride a known trail several times to mess with shock settings ( a resort is awesome for setting up shocks as you don;t have to continuousl push uphill to get it set )

hope this helps.. post some more info and i'll try to adress the problem in more detail..

also feel free to ask questions and i'll try to help, and don;t get too offended when a dickhead ( or 2 ) come on your thread and Try to flame you ... f*ck em.

Smile

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
timmyelle wrote:

I was told that on my Socom (VPP technology) should run about 50% sag to feel the best it can.
I would not doubt it.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
The bike has 6.75" of travel at the rear wheel, so yes you should get about 2" of rear wheel sag. That calculator tells you that you should get 0.71" of sag at the shock (stroke).

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
lol, just realised, the 0.71" is 30%ish of the shock stroke (2.5"), the 2" you measured is of the frames travel (6.75"), measure how much the shock compresses the same way you measure stroke, you should get roughly one 3rd of the shocks travel when you sit on the bike. You're currently getting just under 30% sag

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
dmadness wrote:
icon27 wrote:

settinig it up for dh would be about 30% which would be 2 1/8 of an inch.. so your weight should compress your shock a little ofver 1/4 of the stroke of the shock ( it's important here to understand that although your bike has close to 7 " of travel your shock does not have that much stroke )

What bike ?? this would help diagnose problems as different frames have different leverage ratios//

Also, what shock, ? this would also help.

first set your sag///

then set your rebound ( red knob ) turning it clockwise increases the dampening ( your shock returns more slowly to its neutral position ) counter clockwise speed's it up.

you, ideally want it to return to neutral as quickly as possible without bucking you, you also want your fork and shock to have similar rebound.

Compression dampening ( blue dial ) is how progressive your shock is.. how much it will resist bottoming this is east start with no dempening and increase slowly as you ride till you are going through all your travel and not bottoming out..

Ride a known trail several times to mess with shock settings ( a resort is awesome for setting up shocks as you don;t have to continuousl push uphill to get it set )

hope this helps.. post some more info and i'll try to adress the problem in more detail..

also feel free to ask questions and i'll try to help, and don;t get too offended when a dickhead ( or 2 ) come on your thread and Try to flame you ... f*ck em.

Smile

Sorry... Its a Giant Reign X1 w/ Fox DHX 3.0 700LBS spring rate 6.75" of travel and Fox van r 36 with yellow spring install on front. So do I measure from eyelet to eyelet for the 2 1/8 inch on the rear??? or do I set it up for the .71" at the eyelets

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:48 Quote
If you are going to measure eye to eye, you would go with the 0.71". If you want to use the 2-1/8" you would have to measure from a common point on the ground (perpendicular to your seat) to a point on your seat for example.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
timmyelle wrote:

50%???? who said that?

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
You need to measure or obtain the stroke length of the shock. For instance, stroke length of 2.0", with sag of DH 33% is .66" or just under 17mm of sag. Measure your shock eye to eye say 6.75". Then, with a friends help, sit on your bike in normal riding stance with your riding gear with feet on pedals. Measure the eye to eye again. You are trying to get a measurement .66" less than 6.75" or 6.09". Make sense?

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
I think your shock is 6.75 x 2.35 which means 33% sag is .78" so when you measure sitting your eye to eye should be 5.97" or just under 6". If you want more sag just multiply your stroke (2.35) x sag % wanted. Subtract the answer from the eye to eye. That should be your eye to eye while sitting. Got it?

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
timmyelle wrote:

ummmm no.. approximately 30-40% sag on vpp bikes

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008999
Mobile Version of Website