Powered by Outside

Whats up with Steve Peat and the tissues in his nose when he races?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Whats up with Steve Peat and the tissues in his nose when he races?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:21 Quote
Did any on notice that ever? Why would someone plug there nose while racing?

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
so he breathes throught his mouth and gets more air

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:24 Quote
I try to keep my mouth closed so's I dont get any grit and dirt in there, Its always dusty here in colorado

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:25 Quote
jharp wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Breathing in through your nose allows more oxygen to your bloodstream, if I remember correctly. I'm a runner, and my coach always told me to breathe in through the nose, out the mouth.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
im not completly sure but thats what i think or its in case he gets a nose bleed or something like that

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
I'm pretty sure he has something like Vick's vapour rub on it or even the tissue's with it built right in to help open up his airway. Thats why I used to do for hockey.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
statler wrote:
jharp wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Breathing in through your nose allows more oxygen to your bloodstream, if I remember correctly. I'm a runner, and my coach always told me to breathe in through the nose, out the mouth.

almost. breathing through you nose allows your body to warm up and moisten the air. It also filters the air (hairs and mucous) so there is less particulate matter to breath in. This makes the air less "harsh" on the lungs and allows faster 02 intake on the microscopic extra/intra cellular membrane level on the alveoli (sp?) surfaces (as opposed to breathing through the mouth, directly to the lungs) when the body is trying to maintain high O2 levels in the blood.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
statler wrote:
jharp wrote:

Its not that breathing through your nose gets you more air... Breathing through you nose filters all the crap out of the air (with your nose hairs Razz )... so the air you breathe through your nose is essentially cleaner...

edit... some one already beat me to it

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 17:34 Quote
he's just trying to be funny

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
ben17 wrote:
he's just trying to be funny

not sure about that.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 18:06 Quote
He only has it when he is warming up I thought, and then he takes them out when he is racing.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
he is hyperventilating, breathing through your mouth expands your lungs so you have more air capacity so you dont get winded as quickly, i think

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 7:29 Quote
I always thought it was just because he might get bloody noses from elevation change

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
Pretty sure it's menthol...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011508
Mobile Version of Website