Powered by Outside

Help with Commencal Mini DH Shock

PB Forum :: Downhill
Help with Commencal Mini DH Shock
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 6:13 Quote
Hi guys.
I'm getting a used Commençal Mini DH, just like the supreme 6.1 or 6.2 which uses a 7.875 X 2.0 Fox Shock to get 150mm of rear stroke.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.realcycles.com/smsimg/58/1059-1820-main-supreme-610-58.jpg
Did anyone tried to fit a 7.875 X 2.25 shock to get some more travel? Will this work or is it useless? Any rear linkage problem that I should know of?

Thanks for the input.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 6:21 Quote
i think its useless.

the rear frame doesn´t move deeper than its now. i have the supreme 6.2 with fox float r and 160mm. thats enough, it feels like 200 in the bikeparklol

tr another coil (titan?) but a longer damper doesn´t realy add you more travel...not in this frame.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 6:29 Quote
Yes, from what I've heard these bikes feel like they have more travel than they really have.
I don't have the frame yet, so I can't tell if the linkage moves more with a bigger stroke shock. But if you say so, I believe you.
Thanks.

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 at 6:35 Quote
of course. gladly. Salute

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
any commencal owners had problems with their shock causing the linkage to hit the rear tyre???? this is happening on my 07 mini dh with a fox van r shock, 200mm(7.875) eye to eye. 800spring...

...is it the length of the spring or the internals of the shock?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
downhillerbeginner wrote:
any commencal owners had problems with their shock causing the linkage to hit the rear tyre???? this is happening on my 07 mini dh with a fox van r shock, 200mm(7.875) eye to eye. 800spring...

The shock has 200mm eye-to-eye with 2" of travel, giving 150mm of rear travel (this is stock). I even tried a 200mm shock with 2.25" of travel thus giving 171mm of rear travel without any kind of problem. The coil should be rated at least as the shock stroke goes; for a 2" stroke you should use xxx# X 2" and up, for 2.25", xxx# X 2.25" and up and so on.

Remove the coil from the shock. Attach the shock to the bike. Fully compress the bike and see what the hell is happening there.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 1:58 Quote
Rolinski wrote:

The shock has 200mm eye-to-eye with 2" of travel, giving 150mm of rear travel (this is stock). I even tried a 200mm shock with 2.25" of travel thus giving 171mm of rear travel without any kind of problem. The coil should be rated at least as the shock stroke goes; for a 2" stroke you should use xxx# X 2" and up, for 2.25", xxx# X 2.25" and up and so on.

Remove the coil from the shock. Attach the shock to the bike. Fully compress the bike and see what the hell is happening there.

thanks for replying, ive removed the spring and fully compressed the shock and the frame is still hitting the tyre. getting pretty worried now :/

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 3:11 Quote
That (maybe) only could happen with the following: running a 2.25" stroke shock instead of the 2" stock. Non stock 2007 linkage or rear triangle. Tires above 2.5. I'm leaning towards the shock being 2.25" of travel.
Other than that I can't figure why that's happening.
Can you post some hi-rez pics of the bike fully compressed? And please measure the shock shaft fully extended without the spring. If it has more than 2", that should be the problem.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 3:25 Quote
Rolinski wrote:
That (maybe) only could happen with the following: running a 2.25" stroke shock instead of the 2" stock. Non stock 2007 linkage or rear triangle. Tires above 2.5. I'm leaning towards the shock being 2.25" of travel.
Other than that I can't figure why that's happening.
Can you post some hi-rez pics of the bike fully compressed? And please measure the shock shaft fully extended without the spring. If it has more than 2", that should be the problem.

will do, just need some allen keys, mine got stolen. i phoned madison and they just said the same thing, they think the stroke of the shock is too long, so really i need to find a shock thats 2" stroke. will get some picsa asap

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 3:51 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=47384&pagenum=1#commentid895390

my shock is 800x2.30 = making it a 2.25 stroke which is far to long...i think thats the answer

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 5:00 Quote
No. That's not your problem. The shock has 50mm (2") of stroke and not 57mm (2.25"). Even if the shock had 2.25", the wheel and the linkage could hit the frame, not the tire hitting the linkage.

"my shock is 800x2.30 = making it a 2.25 stroke which is far to long" - This makes no sense. The spring is 800X2.30", which means it takes 800 pounds of force to compress 1" and it has 2.3" of total compression, thus fitting well on a 2" or 2.25" stroke shock.

Are you sure the rear triangle and links are stock? Are there any cracks on the triangle/linkage which could open when stressed making the rear wheel hit the linkage?

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 5:09 Quote
Rolinski wrote:
No. That's not your problem. The shock has 50mm (2") of stroke and not 57mm (2.25"). Even if the shock had 2.25", the wheel and the linkage could hit the frame, not the tire hitting the linkage.

"my shock is 800x2.30 = making it a 2.25 stroke which is far to long" - This makes no sense. The spring is 800X2.30", which means it takes 800 pounds of force to compress 1" and it has 2.3" of total compression, thus fitting well on a 2" or 2.25" stroke shock.

Are you sure the rear triangle and links are stock? Are there any cracks on the triangle/linkage which could open when stressed making the rear wheel hit the linkage?

i will ask the last owner about the linkage, as far as i can see there are no cracks. this bike is a nightmare!!

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 6:26 Quote
Rolinski wrote:

i will ask the last owner about the linkage, as far as i can see there are no cracks. this bike is a nightmare!!

you orta get your bike serviced, only way i can see a commencal having probl;ems is if its not looked after properly

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 5:33 Quote
so what is the max shock because i have a 200x50mm on now and i need a new one because myn locks up

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015741
Mobile Version of Website