Powered by Outside

New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New Frame Deisgn (not a joke)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:23 Quote
I have had this design in my head for a while and i think it is possibly the simplest yet could be the most effective design yet.

What i need some opinions on is how to compress the shock, i have been playing with some ides but i cant seem to make anything work how i want it to.

This design will allow me to play with the compression curve in two separate ways, but i cant find the best way to do it.

photo

The two red points are pivots.

How this works is based on having two pivot points both controlling the way the rear wheel can move, but it does not have an axle path, but an area, much like the two stage bikes.

The top pivot acts like a high pivot bike (bb7 or BMW)

The lower pivot is around the bb (lenz, dob ds, cowan)

What this allows the bike to do is have the advantages of the high pivot (roling over obstacles, yet does not have the chain growth because the pivot of the bike is also around the bb.

6 inches of the travel can be used by the upper pivot, and 3 inches can be used by the lower pivot

Note this is a rough sketch to start, will eventually build it in cad

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:25 Quote
where does the shock go?

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:28 Quote
yeah this may not be a joke but it seems a bit recockulous cuz there is no sensible place to put a shock and the thing would just flop around anyway. that is stupid.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
photo

something to that sort (crude i know)

i have some ideas but i want other opinions

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:32 Quote
Wasnt this done by SWD?

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:33 Quote
philsterr wrote:
Wasnt this done by SWD?

it is similar to swd's design but with an extra pivot

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
That extra pivot is usless, you dont need it. I think SWD has it dead on. The simplest design yet.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9527/qtowers004zd7.jpg

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:35 Quote
you have three bars so it wont work. 2 bars 4 bars will work but 3 will not. the two links would require two shocks but they would still be impossible to make functional. this thing would not work. the swinger and other link would just flop arround randomly no matter what the shock placement is.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
philsterr wrote:
That extra pivot is usless, you dont need it. I think SWD has it dead on. The simplest design yet.

actually the extra pivot will make the bike feel much different. giving it a more rearward axle path and less chain growth

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
merkel wrote:
you have three bars so it wont work. 2 bars 4 bars will work but 3 will not. the two links would require two shocks but they would still be impossible to make functional. this thing would not work. the swinger and other link would just flop arround randomly no matter what the shock placement is.

it will be possible, the shock will have to be mounted 5.5 inches above the lower pivot, the second pivot will have to activate the shock with a linkage, it will be a pull linkage, something like the new morewood, i would not be in the dilemma if i could just ocpy the morewood design, but the only problem would be that the shocks placement would change as it compressed for the lower pivot.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
spag wrote:
philsterr wrote:

actually the extra pivot will make the bike feel much different. giving it a more rearward axle path and less chain growth
And pretty bad clearance

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
I had a very similar idea a few years ago called "free for all linkage.. exept mine was a 5 bar system.

The problem is you need a device to change the angle of the shock. My system was nearly;y impossible to get the correct arch to shock angle. It is doable but it will be nearly impossible for it too work mine got into proto type stage (wood linkage on a board. my shock adjuster failed multiple times until i added a spin plate that only worked 50% of the time.

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
From what I can tell, the yellow stay isn't attached to anything that would prevent it from rotating freely...

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
photo

one point i am still missing with a design like this is making the shock compress with the lower pivot movement

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 21:53 Quote
spag wrote:
photo

one point i am still missing with a design like this is making the shock compress with the lower pivot movement
I'm sorry, what is this?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011906
Mobile Version of Website