Powered by Outside

Cheapest insurance company for 1st time drivers?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Cheapest insurance company for 1st time drivers?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
Whats the cheapest insurance company out there for 1st time drivers?

Im pritty good at driving and want to take my test soon, but i quite like the old vw caddys, and mk1 golfs.

All the quotes i have seen have been rediculous!
I know it will cost alot, as im a first time driver, but over 2k is just a joke.

So do you recomend anyone?
Cheers

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
oh the joy! i remember passing my test and having insurance quotes in excess of £2500 for 1 litre hatchbacks.
basically i couldnt buy my own car til i was 21 then i qualified for classic insurance and i bought a ford capri which i insured for about £400. if you like old caddys you're better looking at dedicated classic insurance which is a fraction of the cost of normal but different companies have different age restrictions.
basically though, there is nothing you can do to avoid being completley reemed by insurance companies until you're over 25. we all go through it so just suck it up and be patient.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
Tesco's insurance is cheap

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
I insured my old VW Polo Fox (classy, lol) for £800 a year with Quinn direct,
and Im 17 and havnt even taken pass plus yet (which will drive insurance costs down a bit more)

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
mistercrabb wrote:
and Im 17 and havnt even taken pass plus yet (which will drive insurance costs down a bit more)

God, thats pritty good.

Did you phone them up, or was that a online quote?

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
try places like gocompare etc mate they work really well, i can insure a vw lupo 1.4 16v for just over 1700

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
djbiker01 wrote:
mistercrabb wrote:

God, thats pritty good.

Is that a provisional --£800 or when you passed.

I insured a English Ford Fiesta 1.1 cost me £750 on a provisional. I then passed and they put it upto £1700 so beware

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
Get your parents to insure it in their name, and add you as a named driver.

It works!

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
DannyDrew wrote:
Get your parents to insure it in their name, and add you as a named driver.

It works!
]

also illegal mate. You have got to have your own insurance and then you can be a named driver on another motor.

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
i went to insure myself as the named driver to my fez. They asked if i owned another car and i said no, they said that i was breaking the law.

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:25 Quote
djbiker01 wrote:
mistercrabb wrote:

God, thats pritty good.

I couldnt remember, so I tried the online quote thing, it came up with this:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3279/plehxu9.png
linky Smile

EDIT: yes, it is on a provisional..
Thanks for the hint on the price increase thing though mtbdean, ill check it out..

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:27 Quote
djbiker01 wrote:
Whats the cheapest insurance company out there for 1st time drivers?

Im pritty good at driving and want to take my test soon, but i quite like the old vw caddys, and mk1 golfs.

All the quotes i have seen have been rediculous!
I know it will cost alot, as im a first time driver, but over 2k is just a joke.

So do you recomend anyone?
Cheers

DONT GET ANYTHING SPECIAL!

I was going to get myself a mk2 golf, but insted i bought a fiesta for 500£. Drove it since May on a provisional Passed my test tuesday 2nd december, wrote it off friday just gone

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
Um. you valued your car for 700£? JESUS

thats gonna make your insurance go higher. My car is only worth book price of £200.

FL
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 at 13:31 Quote
quinn is cheapest i think, im hoping to start lessons in january but am afraid of insurace prices, though i did get a quote of about £1300 for a 1.2 16v corsa

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011016
Mobile Version of Website