Powered by Outside

Brakes for DH? saints, slx, strokers, funn, code 5 or juicy 5

PB Forum :: Downhill
Brakes for DH? saints, slx, strokers, funn, code 5 or juicy 5
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
right my hayes hfx 9 have packed up so i am looking to buy some new brakes, i have narrowed it down....ish, im only 10 stone and dont need hudge power and want to spend as little as possible really but if its worth it would spend some more, these are my choices:
New Shimano Saints
Shimano SLX
Hayes Stroker Trails
Funn Drop Out
Avid Code 5
Avid Juicy 5
EDIT:they would all have 8" rotors

Any Help would be greatly appreciated, anyone who has any of these brake would be nice too know what there like.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:31 Quote
I know they aren't in your list but i think a elixer would be good for you, i noticed that you ride downhill and freeride, which could, i guess be done with juicys, but the elixer woud be better. i think codes and saints might be a little poewerful for what your using em for, but if you still want them, but thats my own opinion.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
Stroker trails or Aces

FL
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
steezymcgee wrote:
I know they aren't in your list but i think a elixer would be good for you, i noticed that you ride downhill and freeride, which could, i guess be done with juicys, but the elixer woud be better. i think codes and saints might be a little poewerful for what your using em for, but if you still want them, but thats my own opinion.

yeah i forgot about them and they would be in my budget! hmmmm

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
steezymcgee wrote:

yeah i forgot about them and they would be in my budget! hmmmm
yeah i was just thiking that after looking at your vids, you are a pretty small person(no offense, i am small too), elixers are more powerful than juicys and more modulation(so i;m told, and i run juicys and they are enough power for me. oh but get the lower end, it is just as powerful but with a little less features, and a lot less money.the top end is still good, but i think the lower end is a better deal.

O+
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
Have had Juicy 7s, codes and elixir cr from Avid and tried the stroker trails. Elixir are outright the best in every way. Currently have them on my shocker and shortly on my stiffee.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
I have Juicy 5s and don't like them at all. They feel very underpowered for DH. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone other than an XC rider

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
MajesticMOOSE wrote:
I have Juicy 5s and don't like them at all. They feel very underpowered for DH. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone other than an XC rider
my thoughts exactly, i can ride them cause we got a fast course with hardly any braking, but he needs elixirs

FL
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 9:40 Quote
sweet! thanks guys that really helpful elixiers it might be!! but i reallly dislike the rotors Confused but if they work better, who cares
ooo i really like the slx's any one know what there like for power?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
I now they're not on the list, but go for CODEs man!

Since I've fitted a pair of shinny white codes on my Supreme DH, the stopping distance really shortenned.
I really rate them with an A+ because of its unique blend of huge power, bombproof strength and matchless precision.
The feel is also amazing - a small press of the lever gives you almost full breaking power, but, nevertheless, very progressive.
Two unique features like the two-piece lever with cam breakaway, or the up-front access reach adjustment give you the right feel to your fingers.
Hope my experience helps.

Nuno

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 11:10 Quote
I have the Hope Downhill brake in the front, the Magura Gustav M in the rear and I'm really satisfied with their stopping power!

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 11:22 Quote
running Stroker trails... the modulation of the huge master is a really nice plus for control and the stock sintered pads offer enough bite especially after they warm up... I'm running the prototype semi metalics though... Gives them more strentgh without compromising the modulation...

photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/2697/pbpic2697469.jpg

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
hope all the way!nothing else, ever

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:11 Quote
bxxer-rider wrote:
hope all the way!nothing else, ever

i got a hope m4 and the power is not great. a hayes hfx9 is better

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
um i got juicy 7's and they own, my parents got my bike for me LOl

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011835
Mobile Version of Website