Powered by Outside

Painting a chain? [feedback]

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Painting a chain? [feedback]
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
im thinking about painting my shadow chain but want some feedback...has anyone painted theres and does it run fine or will it seize up? cause if it ruins it i dont wanna? but right now it looks kinda crappy...feedback wanted!

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
Haven't painted mine, but probably not a good idea. You're most likely better off just to spend the 60$ to get a colored one, rather than f*ck your chain.
Nice industry shot btw.

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
if u get a thin coat of spraypaint on just the sides it works fine no big

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 17:43 Quote
adam, go thin coats, no more then three. and after each coat, bend each link so they don't stick.

or just beat will up and use his?

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 21:09 Quote
lmao chris good idea! lol but no ill get someone to paint it and if it works sweet if not ill just spend $60 on a new one:Frown lol

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 21:12 Quote
i think youd have to paint it link by link, then pedal as the paint dries to keep it from sticking, and by link by link i mean get a chain breaker and take the links apart then paint it, put the chain back together and pedal
your better off buying a coloured chain

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
just spend 20$ for a colourd one

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
where did you find a coloured shadow chain for $20 lmao

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
there 45$ on 3ride
and 30$ on danscomp

or give me a 20 and you can have the chain and any other parts on wills bike.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:23 Quote
Another kid had pretty well the same thread. It really isn't a good idea to paint a chain. The chain won't function very well, and after a while the pain't will just wear off anyways. Just buy the coloured ones, it's your best bet.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=59294

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:27 Quote
i painted the chain on beater bike of mine i had.. i did a thin layer on both sides, it didnt wear off and didnt stick to the other links, i was quite surprised but degrease it really well before doing that

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
But the thing is, you really should never ever degrease a chain. EVER. Even when trying to clean it, you should just use clean lube and keep wiping it. If you use degreaser, it will get between the bushings and the pins and you will never get it out. This allows for dirt to also get in there. Basically chain lube is only used to keep dirt and dust out of small unsealed components of the chain, so that it runs smoothly, and quietly. So degreasing a chain is a no no.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
thechris wrote:
or give me a 20 and you can have the chain and any other parts on wills bike.

LOL Ghetto economics.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
iight end of thread no painting...thanks for the feedbackSmile

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
HAHA you can close this if you wanna its useless now

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.077514
Mobile Version of Website