The Job Thread

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Job Thread
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
For all of you who want to argue about how 13 year olds and stuff can't get jobs, come here and post your points in a RESPECTFUL and worthwhile manner. Remember no flaming, and if you have a point, please back it up.
Ok so my point and case: Yes you can get a job when you are 13, 12, 11 even. Bike shops, small local stores and on occasion coffee shops hire kids this age to do work such as sweeping, sorting, random cleaning, minor work etc... so that they arent paying someone else $20+ an hour to do this when they can get someone younger to do it for half (or less) the price. Its entirely possible to get a job, "Just look local"-i think timbercombe said that...

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 11:40 Quote
jaycubb wrote:
nishnash wrote:
mmmmmm wrote:

i never said $10/h and its completely possible to make that much when your that young.... look local.
I said $10, anywho, bring it to the jobs thread.

I got like $10 an hour whereas the mechs got like $30 or even $40.

?? you did say it...
My point was that an LBS would rather have the mechs do harder more skillful work for the amount they pay them. My knowledge and skill is limited, especially when it comes to the tech areas of a bike (ie BB, Fork, wheels, etc) so my pay reflects that. Their skills reflect on their pay. So why pay someone $20+ an hour to sweep and clean instead of using their full potential when you can get someone to do it for $10 and save customers time, making happier customers, which means more money.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 14:57 Quote
he just meant that in the uk you have to be 16 to get a job (other than paper round which is 16) unless you work undeclared.
and even then the minimum wage for 16 year olds is £3.55 or $5.40 Blank Stare

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
ginj wrote:
he just meant that in the uk you have to be 16 to get a job (other than paper round which is 16) unless you work undeclared.
oh wow, minimum wage over here is like $9 and usually we get $10+

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
you guys are just lucky then!
well $9cad is £5, and i get paid £4,60 so its close Big Grin

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
nishnash wrote:
ginj wrote:
sorry to burst your bubble but minimum wage is $8.75 lol

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
hahaleon wrote:
nishnash wrote:
ginj wrote:
sorry to burst your bubble but minimum wage is $8.75 lol
I wasnt sure if it was 8.75 or 8.50 so i rounded it up to 9.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
i work in my lbs building bikes
i make $6.00 a bike

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:46 Quote
spjumpr wrote:
i work in my lbs biulding bikes
i make $6.00 a bike
What type of bike? at my LBS its usually $5 for like a tricycle and then like $10 for a geared (low end/kids), under $500and then $15-40 depending on the bike (Like a carbon road bike will be more than a Spec. P1 or something like that.)

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:48 Quote
mostly emtry level full sive mountain bikes
they save the carbon bikes and high end bikes for the full time mechanics to build
we are a relatively samall shop so the mechanics have time

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 16:58 Quote
nishnash wrote:
spjumpr wrote:
i make $6.00 a bike
What type of bike? at my LBS its usually $5 for like a tricycle and then like $10 for a geared (low end/kids), under $500and then $15-40 depending on the bike (Like a carbon road bike will be more than a Spec. P1 or something like that.)
you get paid per bike built? wired... but $40 per hour is an amazing salary for a bike mech. i know a lot and am one myself, never came across one making $40 an hour

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
hahaleon wrote:
nishnash wrote:
spjumpr wrote:
i make $6.00 a bike
you get paid per bike built? wired... but $40 per hour is an amazing salary for a bike mech. i know a lot and am one myself, never came across one making $40 an hour
You can get paid per build, depends if you want to commit to hours or not. Usually what happens is some guys sign up for certain slots when they want to come in to build bikes. and it is a very good salary for a mech. Although here mechs more often than not double as managers.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 17:13 Quote
the shop you work at is wired. imo

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
I would argue that it's very difficult to get a job when you are under 16 for a couple reasons, #1, there's lots of people who are older than 16 who are willing to work for the same money, and generally they are bigger, stronger, and legally able to work.

#2) If your place of work is not within a short walking distance from your house or school then you will possibly be late, and that costs your employer money

#3) Appearence, no store wants to look like it uses underage labour, or incompetant labour, which if you have some one who is young does.

That said you can make decent money if you know what you're doing. When I was 12 I made 100-300/wk cutting lawns with my brother, not too shabby for a kid in gr. 6. Also it gave me something to put on my resume later on, and it gave me experience for future jobs.

That said, if you can get a job with a real employer, like a grocery store (they usually hire when you are 14, in gr. 9 or the summer before) get in there asap because then by the time you graduate you will have responsibility which looks really good to future employers.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
me1223 wrote:
I would argue that it's very difficult to get a job when you are under 16

+1 on that. I can't get a good paying job because I'm not 18 yet, thus not a legal adult. Because of that instead of getting payed 18/20/hour I work in a shithole for min wage Thumbs Down

I guess it all depends on were you live.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013129
Mobile Version of Website