All Mountain and Agressive XC Tires

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All Mountain and Agressive XC Tires
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
What are the lightest AM tires that money can buy?
I am getting tired of having to change tires every time I go DHing and XC tires just don't hold up well for me.

Can anyone suggest some really light AM or freeride tires??

Thanks

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 9:23 Quote
Conti Mountain Kings / Rubber Queens in Supersonic.

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 9:43 Quote
Rubber queens are AWFUL

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
is that opinion or fact. I actually like them for xc / all mountain use.

FL
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
I rode em for like a week and the tread just shredded I've had maxxpro Larson tts that have held up better in the gravelly clay where I live

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 4:30 Quote
on the front fat albert schwalbe and on the rear
wheel michelin xc dry or nobby nic schwalbe

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 6:21 Quote
panaracer rampage are spot on for all mountain,trust meMadder Really Mad

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
a lot of ppl have recommended me schwalbe big betty front with fat albert rear.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
its all about the WTB Prowler SS. they sure as hell aint the lightest but they're foldable and they'll keep the rubber side down.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 4:40 Quote
chilli7 wrote:
panaracer rampage are spot on for all mountain,trust meMadder Really Mad

Agree with Rampage.
You can also try Continental Vertical Protection. They are quite narrow for 2.3" tire, the tread is aggressive and great for any kind of condition. Weight wise they average at 650g each.
Nobby Nic are aparentry very good as weel but they cost a lot.
From Schwalbe I used to ride the Fat Albert Light 2.35 for a couple of years - they were spinning v.well but were quite easy to get a puncture.

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 23:03 Quote
BikeDaug40 wrote:
What are the lightest AM tires that money can buy?
I am getting tired of having to change tires every time I go DHing and XC tires just don't hold up well for me.

Can anyone suggest some really light AM or freeride tires??

Thanks

Some will definitely take me to task suggesting this as an AM tire but take a look at the Ritchey ZMAX 2.3 Kevlar if you want a tough tire for it's weight with a very good tread. I rode the snot out of these all across CO and they went through some nasty high speed rock gardens, etc. This tire is marketed as a race XC tire but it is the toughest, most effective XC/AM tire for it's weight I've ever run with. This tire will get you in trouble in mud though.... I don't know that I'd go freeriding too hard with this tire but it has survived some good hard drops with no issue. The secret I think is the mixed compound. The blocks don't tear and it wears really nicely. It's a good fast roller too so that's a plus.

Yes... I know gang.. it's an XC tire... I posted it because the OP asked about a 'really light' AM tire and I thought this might work better than many might realize.

Good luck with the quest! I just ordered the Conti Mountain Kings 2.2/2.4 UST. These are fairly light also but nowhere near the Zmax at 460-500g. Both Contis are under 750g I think though...

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 23:36 Quote
Specialized eskar 2.3" are sweet all round tires...

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
Kenda Nevgals in the right compound are amazing. Amazing grip in all conditions except in the thickest of mud. If you are doing quite a bit of North Shore/rocky terrain, it might pay off to buy the Stick-E compound which does seems glue to the surface.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014131
Mobile Version of Website