Powered by Outside

24" or 26" for street riding only?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" or 26" for street riding only?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 12:59 Quote
its all preferance...

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
its all personal preference, use search maybe..

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
Hey dude I asked you ab your double!

I'm actually having the same dilemma right now since I've decided to hang on to my HT; do I want to go all the way w 24's or switch to 26s?

I've only ever ridden 24's and 20's in my life. Of course I've ridden 26's but never owned any on my DJ. I ride only street and with the 24s on my frame I'm able to get my chainstays all the way to 15.25 inches with some optional 24 specific drops, which is tight as hell. I had an opportunity to get some 26' sun rhyno lites on DMR hubs for $90, but I opted to buy the super short drops instead for the same price and stay with the 24 and an ultra short chainstay, and upgrade my rims from the Halo Combats to some Doubletracks.

Not only that, but I'm running Hookworms and I feel that for how heavy they are, they're probably better suited on a 24"

I also like how my bike seems a lot more sensitive on 24s; the geo works well with them. I can feel the slightest change in handling when my weight moves around. It took some getting used to, but all in all I'd say it offers a much more flickable feeling; it responds to those panic movements very well in an urban environment.

A lot of dudes will call you a puss for riding 24s bc tricks are easier to throw than on a set of 26s, but I think that's up there with the "you're gay for having a front brake" school of thought.

I seem to be less tired and more agile than ALL of my other riding buddies on 26s, so if that says anything, there you go.

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
yeah use the search, there's theres plenty of thread like this. but anyway...

IMHO there is a very fine line between 'preference' and 'just plain better'.
20" wheels, regardless if you like bmx or not, IS better than mtb for dj & street and thats just a fact. This is why I believe if you're gonna be riding street, your mtb should be as close to a bmx as possible...

24" wheels, specific steel frame, rigid or 80mm forks and steel cranks are the way forward. None of that 26" wheeled alu frame wank lol

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
What frame are you putting them on exactly?

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
If you have grown up on bmx bikes and converted to mountain biking than 24's are the way to on a street bike. It gives you the versatility of a mtb but fluidity and smoothness of a bmx bike. Im currently building up 24" MTX rims on DT swiss hubs with red and yellow spokes to go on my p2 for street riding. Will post when completed

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
If you want to go for tricks and try to get better than all your friends 24s. If you want to ride 26s then 26s.

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
jonslater wrote:
24 is better
ya bitchesDrool

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 3:12 Quote
if ridng street only just ride 20s. if you have to ride mtb street (which is retarded) then go 24". people who are serious about riding street on 26" wheels are just plain idiots.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 3:48 Quote
thik everyone will say 24 but 2 inches dont make much of a difference i like 26 for street

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 3:50 Quote
it's all what YOU prefer!

i prefer 26" over 24". my experience with 24 is that it doesn't spin faster, and it took away all my style.

maybe it is because i'm pretty tall, but i recommend trying some of your friends their bikes (24" and 26") and see what you like better Wink

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 3:53 Quote
lew02 wrote:
yeah use the search, there's theres plenty of thread like this. but anyway...

IMHO there is a very fine line between 'preference' and 'just plain better'.
20" wheels, regardless if you like bmx or not, IS better than mtb for dj & street and thats just a fact. This is why I believe if you're gonna be riding street, your mtb should be as close to a bmx as possible...

24" wheels, specific steel frame, rigid or 80mm forks and steel cranks are the way forward. None of that 26" wheeled alu frame wank lol

what's wrong with 26" and alu??? alu frames can be pretty good for street if you choose the right one. i rode an urban trials frame for street for a long time, and it was pretty good, and the massive trials-chainstays will hold all the spins and nasty sideway landings

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/61227/

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 9:17 Quote
I use my aluminum frame for urban...I like the rigidity of aluminum over steel, and how an overbuilt ally frame will weigh about as much as a basic cromo street frame.

As far as only running 20s on street, I will agree that that's the purist way to ride, but there are so many advantages with a slightly bigger wheelset, and I personally like the feel of a "bigger" bike when it's got 24s or 26s.

After my 20 got stolen my sophomore year of college, I bought a 24 and never looked back.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.210569
Mobile Version of Website