Powered by Outside

Wobbling forks?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Wobbling forks?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
hey i got new forks, but they are wobbling. i have taken them to my nearest bike shop the guy there said they were all set up properly and stuff but they keep wobbling even though everything is tightened up properly, i have the crown race on and everything but i dont know whats wrong someone suggested i need a new headset what do you think, Thanks

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
I had this when i changed forks mate. My problem was i had a piece of my headset missing that goes on the bottom part of the frame bit, just above the forks. Because of this i had a new headset put in and it is now sorted.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
ok thank you, i think i will try a new headset then.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
monkey20 wrote:
I had this when i changed forks mate. My problem was i had a piece of my headset missing that goes on the bottom part of the frame bit, just above the forks. Because of this i had a new headset put in and it is now sorted.
sounds like you were missing a bearing race(aka crown race) which this guy says he has.

just tighten up the headset, crown, axle, etc... to proper specs and it should be good...
if it's still wobbling then LBS it
don't just go out and buy a new headset before actually trying to diagnose the problemFacepalm

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
well the thing is i took it to lbs the guy said everything is set up right, he tightened it up and it was still wobbling a little bit, but im just wondering if ive cut the steerer tube bad? if that effects anything.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
daft answer,
but have you made sure that theres a good few mm inbetween the top of the steerer and the top of the stem / top cap?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:52 Quote
well there is enough room for spacer so i guess, but one thing is the bolt in the stem cap actually goes down, like under the top of it, and what was a daft answer? from me?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:54 Quote
daft answer means its a stupid thing for me to say as your probablies smart enouth to think of that,

but if the bolt is goin under the top cap u need a new top cap m8, and that should sort it, try lending a m8s top cap and tryin that out 1st Smile

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:55 Quote
take it too a different shop... because that is really bad of a shop to let something like this slide...
the top edge of the spacer MUST sit above the top edge of the steerer

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:55 Quote
danny-oli wrote:
daft answer means its a stupid thing for me to say as your probablies smart enouth to think of that,

but if the bolt is goin under the top cap u need a new top cap m8, and that should sort it, try lending a m8s top cap and tryin that out 1st Smile
hey want me to get a picture because i dont know how to explain..?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:56 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
take it too a different shop... because that is really bad of a shop to let something like this slide...
the top edge of the spacer MUST sit above the top edge of the steerer
there is not many shops round here, well none i know of except that one and a worst one

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:56 Quote
yh sure that would, make it quicker form ppl to figure it out Smile

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
ok will do gimme 2 mins.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 13:12 Quote
sorry took so long couldnt find phone etc,
photo

do you think taking off top spacer would help?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
sorry took so long couldnt find phone etc,
photo
do you think taking off top spacer would help?

no that essential, maybe another spacer?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.466432
Mobile Version of Website