Powered by Outside

Juicy 3 Problem

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Juicy 3 Problem
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
Yo, listen up.
I've got quite a funny problem with my juicys.
I bought a set with 160/160 disks, just got them installed and you know what?
I can't spin the front wheel guz the spokes are blocking on the caliper. (haha, yes, now you may laugh).
I believe i set them up properly, the rear one has got some distance between the spokes and the caliper, what's wrong? Big Grin
Pics:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/272/dscf3809p.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8296/dscf3810.jpg

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:12 Quote
also, because few people asked me that on another forum:
the front wheel is straight.
the wheel is trued up
the is mount is straight too, i've only used 2 really small distances when i've had my old mech brakes and a normal adaptor(not the tri align one).

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
Hmm. If you look at the tri-align bolts in the second picture, see that the calliper is pushed all the way to the right?
My theory is (assuming that you properly set up the calliper) that your rotor is so close to the centre of the hub that the calliper hits on the spokes when it is centred over it.

Might be worth looking into getting a slimmer front brake?

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
dood, I spent EVERYTHING i had on this set(i'm a pole, so I really bought it cheap :> ), also, even if I push the caliper all the way to the left on the tri align, the spokes still stratch the caliper.
Also, the wheel barely turns, because of the disk, duhhh.
anyone got Avid's mail for technical problems?...

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:37 Quote
if all else is correct then it's more than likely your hub....looks like u have a larger hub flange diameter....u can probably solve the rubbing my moving to a larger rotor....or a larger rotor, set the caliper all the way to the left, and use a rotor shim like the one in the link provided (if needed)

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757#

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
yeah, I figured that i'll put some small distances(god thank i've got a toolshop just round the corner) on the rotor screws, so that the caliper will have to be all the way to the left - i won't order some crap from germany and pay 8 euro for it when I can get the same effect with distances for like 1 buck.
Well, I guess that the hub is really oldschool, it's a DT Swiss Hugi from 1990s to 2002 I think, it still works nuts tho Smile
I'll buy a bigger rotor when I get some cash tho, or a new wheel :p

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
KondziuNS wrote:
yeah, I figured that i'll put some small distances(god thank i've got a toolshop just round the corner) on the rotor screws, so that the caliper will have to be all the way to the left - i won't order some crap from germany and pay 8 euro for it when I can get the same effect with distances for like 1 buck.
Well, I guess that the hub is really oldschool, it's a DT Swiss Hugi from 1990s to 2002 I think, it still works nuts tho Smile
I'll buy a bigger rotor when I get some cash tho, or a new wheel :p

New wheel's not a bad idea. My first thought was that when the wheel was built, it wasn't dished properly. Or...just go with a bigger rotor. Good luck.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
you put the caliper on backwards....flip it over....err... i dunno whats the problem it looks backwards...as if it would be for the opposite side but thats not the case.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
you put the caliper on backwards....flip it over....err... i dunno whats the problem it looks backwards...as if it would be for the opposite side but thats not the case.

Ya, WTF? In the image from behind the fork you can see the hose is closest to the spokes, which it should not be. It actually looks like that caliper was made to mount on the other side of the frame...??? I mean if front and rear were switched it still wouldn't look like that. The only way you should be able to mount the caliper where the hose side is near the spokes is if the caliper was upside down with the hose pointing towards the ground, not up. ??????? I'm confused...

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
wheelandsprocketos wrote:
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:

Ya, WTF? In the image from behind the fork you can see the hose is closest to the spokes, which it should not be. It actually looks like that caliper was made to mount on the other side of the frame...??? I mean if front and rear were switched it still wouldn't look like that. The only way you should be able to mount the caliper where the hose side is near the spokes is if the caliper was upside down with the hose pointing towards the ground, not up. ??????? I'm confused...

Sorry, nevermind. I was looking at my J-7s and forgot that J-3s are flipped like that.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:57 Quote
yeah.. it looks like the disc mount is too close the spokes. the spacers look like a good idea

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
but why would the disc mount be too close to the spokes?
I mean, i've never ridden it hard with some hardcore brakes, just a mech with a 203mm rotor for some all mountain/enduro riding.
The brake isn't upside down or flipped in anyway, because I just can't imagine it being with the hose on the outside?

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
my hoses are on the outside, but the juicy 3's are opposite.
and who knows, sizing with hubs is confusing as hell and you never know

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:17 Quote
would a slight offset on your wheel solve it?

or maybe upgrading to a bigger rotor

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:20 Quote
Did you put your wheel right in the wheel suspension?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.061543
Mobile Version of Website