Powered by Outside

Am i improving? How can i improve more? *Newer vids on page 5 and 6*

PB Forum :: Beginners
Am i improving? How can i improve more? *Newer vids on page 5 and 6*
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 8:28 Quote
Hi,
I've been riding on and off for nearly a year now on a hardtail and i'm going to be riding a lot more in the summer.
Here are a few videos of me riding... obviously i need to go faster!!

a NEWER video -
Views: 1,205    Faves: 0    Comments: 9

an OLDER video -

Views: 1,068    Faves: 0    Comments: 3

Do you think there's any improvement between the two videos?

It would be great if you could give me some pointers on how i can improve my riding so that i can make the most of the holidays.
Cheers.
Gareth

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
go faster and ride more, you will soon get better! Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
Get off those brakes! Dont be so anxious to turn whatever speed you may have into heat by squeezing that brake. Try riding with your hands just on your grips and just let your bike do the work.

Ive found about 98% of biking is to lower your seat, lean back, and let your bike take you through whatevers ahead.

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
grow some balls and just go for it.

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
listen to some music that isnt slow music like in the video and get off the brakes

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 10:13 Quote
Thanks... i'll definately try going faster next time i'm out

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 10:27 Quote
I'm no where an expert but you seem to be very stiff on the bike, as someone above said just relax and let the bike move around you.

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 10:44 Quote
cheers... i'll make sure i loosen up and brake less next time... do you think i'm improving at all in the videos?

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
BullBoy1992 wrote:
cheers... i'll make sure i loosen up and brake less next time... do you think i'm improving at all in the videos?

Dont worry about the videos. They dont give us a good enough idea to judge your improvement anyways. Were just guessing at what we think your doing wrong. I used to be timid on the trail but I figured out that with headphones I dont hear anything and It makes me lose sense of my speed causing my fear to drop as well.

Loosen up, if you get hurt the worst its gonna be is a scrape. With jumps those size and at that speed, you cant get hurt that bad so just grab those grips, loosen up letting your arms and legs take alot of the shock, and use the trail to your advantage.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:02 Quote
yeah I agree that it just seems like you need to loosen up some more by getting more time in the saddle. you look TERRIBLY STIFF on the vids and you just need to learn to confide in your bikes ability to roll over shit, thats your bikes job. yours is to stay loose and upright. watch some clips of dudes downhill racing over rocky and technical terrain, you'll see that the bikes seem to be bouncing arond all over the place beneath them and the riders just stay loose and centered and just point the bike in the direction they want it to go. you can always find some friends that ride a bit faster than you and try to keep up while watching their riding techniques.

it all comes with time. one day you'll wake up on the right side of the bed and head out to the trail and just rip better than you ever have and wonder why you were so hesitant before. everyone has those days once in awhile.

and its not for everyone but i agree with the headphones thing. i ride WAY faster when listening to fast tunes, sometimes too fast but its ok i like it.

have fun with it and remember to tell yourself to stay loose. try to use the brakes as little as possible and get used to the sensation of speed. Jailbreak

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
ok progress but u r way 2 stiff around corners and on jumps. try 2 go a bit faster without hovering the brakes and when entering berms lean into them a bit more to get faster. but overall i think u hav improved well done!!!

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
possibly get some crappy brakes so when you hit them, not much happens. and ya, you are pretty stiff. in the corners you dont need to stay so vertical...lean into it and let your tires do some work rather than gravity

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
do a couple races, dont make a big deal outta them. its easy to see if you are making improvements and by riding w/ faST/GOOD RIDERS YOU WILL PROGRESS QUICKLY. sorry bout caps there

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:39 Quote
Also, it looks like you are locking your elbows most of the time. Your arms act as your own natural suspension, so you shouldn't rely on your bike's suspension alone to soak up most of the hits.

Smile

And yes, ride more...its probably better than just watching videos alone.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 11:39 Quote
Find someone to ride with who is faster than you then try riding with them just behind you as the pressure it put on you makes you go faster. Also you can try riding behind them and watch theyre lines and try to keep up. These both help me no end.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010509
Mobile Version of Website