Powered by Outside

40 vs 36 for downhill

PB Forum :: Downhill
40 vs 36 for downhill
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
For downhill the obvious choice is a fox 40, but I own an SX trail, which is more of a freeride bike. I have been doing alot of downhill lately and want a better fork than my marz 55. Should i upgrade to a fox 36 float, or upgrade to a fox 40 or boxxer team and just lower it?

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
I would get the 40 because you never know if your going to start doing some more DH then FR so I would get a 40 and lower it

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
SkiRacer wrote:
I would get the 40 because you never know if your going to start doing some more DH then FR so I would get a 40 and lower it
why? a 36 basically feels like a 40 just with more capabillities

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:50 Quote
what if he starts doing some DH racing and he doesn't have enough travel?

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
SkiRacer wrote:
what if he starts doing some DH racing and he doesn't have enough travel?
doesnt have enough travel? why do people race in hardtail class? im pretty sure they have enough travel and 160mm is deffinetly enough

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
A 36 on an sx is deffenatly a good choice, The fork suites the bike very well and can handle most things you are able to throw at it.

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:56 Quote
I would go with 40 but it really depends what you see yourself doing in the next few months or years.

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
I would go with 40 but it really depends what you see yourself doing in the next few months or years.
why are you guys saying a 40? the 36 is honestly a way better choice, long enough travel to be aggressive in the dh yet enough travel to do some big drops

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
why are you pi55ed of about peoples opinions. It's just our opinions jeez...

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
SkiRacer wrote:
not only does dual crowns void the sx trails warranty. it will make it ride like a chopper? put some information behind your choices

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
I dont really care about the warranty, i just want a strong fork that will hold up against the stuff i plan to throw at it over the summer. My marz 55 has failed me on more than one occasion and is currently bleeding fluid everywhere, and i serviced the fork two weeks ago. I need something that is going to give me confidence on difficult trails at Northstar, Downieville, and possibly Colorado over the summer.

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
SkiRacer wrote:
not only does dual crowns void the sx trails warranty. it will make it ride like a chopper? put some information behind your choices

I think you missed the lowered part.. And what if he wants to buy a new frame sometime in the future? I think you should go with the 40, If you get into downhill seriously then all you need is a new frame and swap your components over. Or you could get a totem Wink Wont regret it if you do.

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
Sean115 wrote:
I dont really care about the warranty, i just want a strong fork that will hold up against the stuff i plan to throw at it over the summer. My marz 55 has failed me on more than one occasion and is currently bleeding fluid everywhere, and i serviced the fork two weeks ago. I need something that is going to give me confidence on difficult trails at Northstar, Downieville, and possibly Colorado over the summer.
honestly ill say it again...get the 36 float rc2 its the best fealing fork ive ever used, honestly way better feeling than the 40 when tuned properly

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
have you considered totem?

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
Bam, Thats what i said. You will love a solo air. Its such a versatile fork and can be lowered with just a few spacers in the air side.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010688
Mobile Version of Website