Use to bmx...want a mtb...help a brother out

PB Forum :: Beginners
Use to bmx...want a mtb...help a brother out
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
Hey everyone, new on here. i use to ride bmx but yeah days have passed and just given up on it. want to get back into riding but looking for a mountain bike. i have no idea whats good and could use suggestions...

looking for a mtb for some trails/DJs/street. i'm 6'0 tall and 265lbs (yeah my bmx took a beating...haha) looking to spend under 400 bucks (3-350 would be best).

suggestions?

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:12 Quote
ur not gonna find anything that isnt gonna break for less than a grand...

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
for under 400 bucks your not gonna be able to get any decent completes....My frame alone was 400.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
are there any bikes that would allow me to swap some parts from the bmx over? i.e. cranks, peddles just since they take most of the beating? i def dont have 1000 to blow on a bike. i was looking at the cove sanchez which is 400 and thats about the type of bike i want but as always a stock bike and guy of my size dont get along well

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:37 Quote
lkout4trucks wrote:
are there any bikes that would allow me to swap some parts from the bmx over? i.e. cranks, peddles just since they take most of the beating? i def dont have 1000 to blow on a bike. i was looking at the cove sanchez which is 400 and thats about the type of bike i want but as always a stock bike and guy of my size dont get along well

yes if u check my userpage-picture thingy, my bike has 24's and i ride with bmx cranks (primo powerbites), pedals (odyssey somethings), chainwheel (colony guettler 28T), chain, obviously grips, i think my stem is compatble but not 100%, bars would work but i duno how they would feel.. and i could go on but its giving me a headache Razz

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:42 Quote
Lams wrote:
KHS DJ 05?

not a bad looking bike. i found an 07 online for 270 but they wont ship it!! i doubt anyone around here will have one that old still for sale...at least not for that price.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
brian02rider wrote:
lkout4trucks wrote:

yes if u check my userpage-picture thingy, my bike has 24's and i ride with bmx cranks (primo powerbites), pedals (odyssey somethings), chainwheel (colony guettler 28T), chain, obviously grips, i think my stem is compatble but not 100%, bars would work but i duno how they would feel.. and i could go on but its giving me a headache Razz

that sick. i've had mine on since before the euro BB craze (yeah its been a minute haha). so i'd have to get a euro bb for it unless i can retro-fit the primos onto w/e bike i buy. but def my odyssey peddles,and other parts will tag along. this will def make my options cheaper.

now to find a damn bike...

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
lkout4trucks wrote:
brian02rider wrote:
lkout4trucks wrote:

that sick. i've had mine on since before the euro BB craze (yeah its been a minute haha). so i'd have to get a euro bb for it unless i can retro-fit the primos onto w/e bike i buy. but def my odyssey peddles,and other parts will tag along. this will def make my options cheaper.

now to find a damn bike...

just find a decent frame, and build up..
the only other expensive shit other than the frame would be a fork and wheelsets.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 18:00 Quote
brian02rider wrote:

just find a decent frame, and build up..
the only other expensive shit other than the frame would be a fork and wheelsets.

yeah. hmm i was hoping to avoid that hahaha. did that with my bmx and money just flew out the window.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 18:11 Quote
u could prob get away with a rigid fork cause uve riden bmx..... wheel sets .... well theres no way of working around the high cost of thos..

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
NWray wrote:
u could prob get away with a rigid fork cause uve riden bmx..... wheel sets .... well theres no way of working around the high cost of thos..

by rigid fork you mean no suspension? cuz in that case thats just a big bmx bike haha. i'm looking to start doing more trail riding than streets.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 21:05 Quote
i have some more questions:
so...i dont want a one-speed. its half the reason i'm getting rid of my bmx. i wanna do trails so one-speed would just kinda suck. i dont want a ton of gears either. i would like an uphill, regular, tough, and maybe a neutral gear (for rollbacks...if its possible to setup). i have a fully built bmx bike with parts i'd like to swap if possible.

1. gearing: can i run the above setup with my bmx cranks? could i install a bash gaurd(i'd love to still grind things...)

2. brakes: any serious advantage with discs v. v-brakes? are discs worth the cost?

3. and again...any recommended bikes?

i'm sure its all common q's but yeah i'm a newb so...thanks!!!

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 21:17 Quote
lkout4trucks wrote:
i have some more questions:
so...i dont want a one-speed. its half the reason i'm getting rid of my bmx. i wanna do trails so one-speed would just kinda suck. i dont want a ton of gears either. i would like an uphill, regular, tough, and maybe a neutral gear (for rollbacks...if its possible to setup). i have a fully built bmx bike with parts i'd like to swap if possible.

1. gearing: can i run the above setup with my bmx cranks? could i install a bash gaurd(i'd love to still grind things...)

2. brakes: any serious advantage with discs v. v-brakes? are discs worth the cost?

3. and again...any recommended bikes?

i'm sure its all common q's but yeah i'm a newb so...thanks!!!
you might be able to trade your bmx for a decent mtn bike,
as for disks, i think from the low prices and stuff it's worth it

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
What about a 24" cruiser?

Edit: nevermind.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011266
Mobile Version of Website