Powered by Outside

How to deal with sand?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to deal with sand?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:30 Quote
alright well basically i built a jump and while i was building it the dirt that i was using looked and felt a lot like clay so i was pretty stoaked but it had also been raining quite a bit. however now its about a week later and it is all turning into sand and it still isnt even very packed yet. pretty much whenever someone hits it they leave huge ruts and the whole thing almost falls apart. i have tried watering it and it just turns back into its clay like form but it still wont pack together well and just falls apart. i have tried putting carpets on the lip to help protect it but they dont seem to really do much and it still falls apart so i was wondering if any of you have had similar situations and if you could give me some suggestions on what to try doing?

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:34 Quote
look around for better dirt? usually you can find a hole bunch of different soil types if you look hard enough.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:37 Quote
odin333 wrote:
look around for better dirt? usually you can find a hole bunch of different soil types if you look hard enough.

no pretty much all of the trails in our town have this same type of dirt. it does sorta really seem like clay though but it just wont pack. i have tried just about everything aswell. i was almost thinking of putting some plywood ontop of the dirt. do you think that would work? also do you know any ways of really packing it really well other then wacking it like crazy with a flathead shovel?

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:38 Quote
Mix in some concrete Wink

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:42 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
Mix in some concrete Wink

i was sorta thinking about that but i might want to change the jump sometime and i wouldnt want it to be permanent.

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
Concrete is a horrible idea.

Dig deeper.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
Concrete is a horrible idea.

Dig deeper.

i did my pit is like 10 feet deep now and i have hit this really hard stuff that almost feels like solid rock but when i chip it out it seems like clay but then when i put it on the jump and try to pack it in it turns into sand Confused

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
i had the same problem when i started my jump it was all solid then after one day in the sun it turned in to sand every time the lip was hit i would had to reshape it so i gave up and made a wooden kicker in to a dirt landing i just put rubber shop mats on the landing so landing does not leave ruts.

but if u want a real dirt jump u got to buy some good dirt because if the dirt where u dug is sandy it will be sandy in another spot.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 19:06 Quote
Huck-You wrote:
i had the same problem when i started my jump it was all solid then after one day in the sun it turned in to sand every time the lip was hit i would had to reshape it so i gave up and made a wooden kicker in to a dirt landing i just put rubber shop mats on the landing so landing does not leave ruts.

but if u want a real dirt jump u got to buy some good dirt because if the dirt where u dug is sandy it will be sandy in another spot.

yeah man the dirt is andy everywhere around the whole trail.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
hey i live in redding cal we have this frickin river soil really sticky when wet but when you compact it and smooth it all out. you hit it and you still sink in i compact hella hard like throwing shovels at it and running my front tire over it for ever does the dirt just suck

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
the dirt like sand two

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:14 Quote
Old rugs/carpets work really, really well. Look around in your house/friends house and stuff and you will probably find something.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:47 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
i did my pit is like 10 feet deep now...

are you serious?
you're 15, not a jcb

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 8:11 Quote
hummus wrote:
Old rugs/carpets work really, really well. Look around in your house/friends house and stuff and you will probably find something.

i am pretty shure that i posted this already but i have put tons of carpet and stuff on the jump but it is still so soft that we rut through it and the lip still keeps collapsing.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 8:11 Quote
JackK wrote:
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
i did my pit is like 10 feet deep now...

are you serious?
you're 15, not a jcb

yes i am serious and i am also 15 but i have no idea what a jcb is?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010657
Mobile Version of Website