Im 6'6" and looking to get into bmx....HELP!

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Im 6'6" and looking to get into bmx....HELP!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:31 Quote
yo what up pink bike ive got a serious problem I need some help with.

I am a 6'6" tall kid. by most standards I should be a basketball player but team sports are not my thing and I really need a new summer sport. I used to ride mountain bike and found they were always breaking, never rode like I wanted them too, and all in all just sucked. I've started to become super interested in BMXing because it just seems like way too much fun. Problem is, my body is more suited for a mountain bike.

I have started riding some of my friends bikes and are finding some common problems arising. first one I notice is my feet grinding against the front tire when I steer. I dont have overly big feet (size 11 mens), but it sucks when I turn and hit the toes of my shoes. second is the obvious my knees smashing on the bars and stem all the time. Oh ye and my feet hitting the back peg when I pedal too.

I was wondering if there is a future for a guy like me in this sport or if I am just going to have to resort to a shitty small mountain bike trying to be a bmx. Maybe suggest some larger frames that are out there of some parts that accomadate larger people. Thanks a lot guys hope I can get some good help with this.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
you could get a 24" BMX?

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
consider a rigid cromoly frame fork set-up made specifically for 24 inch wheels with mainly bmx components(stiffer, longer lasting, cheaper in the long run) and some higher rise bars.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
QuinBaird wrote:
you could get a 24" BMX?
Exactly what i was thinking.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
Nobody is too large for a bmx, it's just about finding parts that work for your body size. For someone of your stature I would recomend a frame with a minimum of a 21 inch top tube, Macneil even offers a 22" frame.

http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?by=NAME&order=ASC&cat=FRAMESFSD&attribute=frames&toptubelength=21.25 That is a list of frames available in a 21.25" length top tube, which is the largest option currently from Dans.

I would also recomend a larger bar, probably a minimum of 8" of rise. Again, there are even larger bars you can get at a rise of 9". As for the peg problem, that could be solved by removing the pegs, but if you wish to grind a longer chainstay on a frame would work, though that may be undesirable to some as it makes spinning more difficult.

Most sizing on a BMX is personel preferance, but generally the larger you are the larger your bars and frame should be. These two parts provide the greatest fluctuation on how the bike rides. If you still feel cramped on the 20" bike, I may suggest a cruiser, however I feel this should solve the problem.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
macneil deuce deuce frame 22 inch its made for guys like you!
http://www.macneilbmx.com/blog/2009/04/jaumell-deuce-deuce/#more-2347
just wait for it to come out, that frame plus wtp mad max bars and you should be good to go.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
i think the biggest you could get for a 20 bmx bike would be to get a 22 inche top tube and its called the macneil duce duce, iv herd volume has good frames with long top tubes but if you want a longer bike a 24 bmx would be ok you could even go as fare as to buy a 26 dirt jumper like a black mrt mob or a specilzed p.2

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 21:25 Quote
that brand new sunday 24inch BMX, the model-C is calling your name!!!

supposedly it has all the same geometry and parts as a funday(i think, might be the schwartz) its just upsized for bigger people, even has pegs, and oddyssey hazard lite rims

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bmx.transworld.net/files/2009/02/24/jc-cruiser_01.jpg

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
macniel deuce deuce, or talk to the guys at solid bmx...they make custom parts and frames for a reasonable price (and they have bars called roseannes that are 9" tall by 32" wide if ur into bigger bars too)

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
and put a lot of spacer lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/jarvicseven/IMG_6251.jpg

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
solid bars 9x 32 maybe 32 will be too wide but you will want some rise
180mm cranks
and 21+ frame
fbm, fit/S&M and solid will make you a custom frame
I wouldn't get a chainstay longer then 14
dave dilaware is tall you should look up one of his bike checks

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
I'm almost 6ft 5
i ride a bike with a 21in tt, 8.25 x 28 bars and a high stem (khe stem)

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 17:26 Quote
this is what i suggest the new macneil deuce deuce frame that's coming out, wtp mad max bars and a flipped fit dld

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
juan0724 wrote:
this is what i suggest the new macneil deuce deuce frame that's coming out, wtp mad max bars and a flipped fit dld
Have you ever even tried a deuce deuce
It rides like total shit!
Unless all you want to ride is trails dont get that frame, it's a pain in the ass, almost impossible to bunny hop

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012877
Mobile Version of Website