Powered by Outside

I want to run brakeless but i live on a hill... anyone else with this problem?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
I want to run brakeless but i live on a hill... anyone else with this problem?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 1:21 Quote
I want to run brakeless because i like the feel of it, it looks nice, saves weight, and my hazard lite rim on the rear is black and the paint is starting to wear off.

But i live on a massive, massive hill.

Does anyone else have this problem? do you run brakes or wear your shoes down?

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 2:37 Quote
I hope the paint coming off the rim isnt a massive deciding factor...

I would personally weigh up whether its going to hinder/improve your riding if you take the brakes off.

Also whats the hill like, could you realistically ride it out without getting nailed by a car or truck?

I guess if you reckon itll improve your riding without brakes just buy some cheap shoes and wear em down.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 7:11 Quote
Jacobrjett wrote:
I want to run brakeless because i like the feel of it, it looks nice, saves weight, and my hazard lite rim on the rear is black and the paint is starting to wear off.

But i live on a massive, massive hill.

Does anyone else have this problem? do you run brakes or wear your shoes down?

1. Dont run brakes because of the paint on your rim.
2. if you live on a hill you probaly should run brakes, it dosent matter how it looks your looking for function over look (atleast i am)

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
walk your bike half way down or more.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 9:04 Quote
I think that if you need brakes, then you should run them. If you're scared about killing yourself going down a hill, then keep the brakes and save yourself the worry.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 9:07 Quote
i've tried brakeless and its terrible
it burn up your shoes, and if you are not used to it your basically guarantied to crash more. it only takes off about 2 pounds at most.
just keep the brakes and stay out of the hospital.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
i have the same problem and i decided to just keep the brakes on, the weight doesn't really make a difference and i feel alot safer knowing that i can stop

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 9:13 Quote
one of my friends runs brakeless, and he lives on a very steep hill. he can frequently be seen flying down, out of control, possibly screaming with a plume of smoke from his shoe. i used brakeless for about a week, i didnt like it. it squashed my techy bag of tricks. its all personal preference.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
I was brakeless for a while and when i'm at my dads i live on a big hill, footjamming isn't as easy as it sounds either, personally it either hurts my feet, i go flying over the front, its uneven stopping power, and it ruins your shoes...

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
Solution! Plant trees Smile

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:13 Quote
foot jam with your back tire instead of front

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
Solution! find another way around the big hill Beer cheers

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:23 Quote
DH-Til-I-Die wrote:
Solution! Plant trees Smile
sorry off topic but how would that help.

and i reckon keep it on but only use it when you really have to,that would kind of slow down the wear of your rim.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:27 Quote
i wouldnt reccomend it
a mate recentaly went brakeless for about 2 weeks, then changed back regretting it
he lived in a hilly kinda area and found it shit dangerous
its good if u only ever ride it at like a skatepark but nothing else really

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 10:29 Quote
To get to town I have to go down my drive way 1/2 of it is a hug hill and its 1000ft. long.(got it measured) and another hill. I run breakless and I'm still here with no injures

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013186
Mobile Version of Website