Powered by Outside

Hayes bleeding,

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes bleeding,
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 3:29 Quote
Is it possible to bleed without bleed kit.
Have tried removing master cylinder top cap and bleeding through that way but when refitting i don't know if air gets tapped between those fins. I ain't got no money so on budget!! :'(

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 21:31 Quote
so u said u AIN'T GOT NO MONEY. then you say your on a budget.. might want to make up your mind.

can you afford a few bucks or not?

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 21:38 Quote
you can make a kit with the RIGHT oil (don't do something stupid like dump lube in it), syringes, tubing, etc. but chances are your going to screw it up. get the proper Hayes issued bleed kit. it will come with step by step instructions and stuff designed exactly for the job making it much easier and with a better result.

if you can't afford to bleed your brakes, MTBing isn't for you. its expensive and you can't be poor to maintain a bike. i would suggest switching/trading to mechanical if you can since they are much cheaper to maintain.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
Just trying to save 60euros, want new bars and stem. im not always skint!!! anyways can it be done without kit?

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
you need to buy syringes and everything anyway to do it, might as well buy the kit. either way you are spending money, and if you keep screwing it up with a hodge-podge kit you put together, you will spend more money in the long run

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
Cheers for the input guys

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
Yes........You need this stuff though,

DOT 4 fluid
plastic tubing that fits snugly on the bleeder screw (caliper)
plastic tubing that fits into the bleed port, snugly, on the master (lever), sometimes the straw that comes with certain aerosol cans works.
plastic syringe.

The kit comes with all this stuff. So I would really recommend it. I did it this way many times without official kit, but alot of the supplies I got from a Magura bleed kit. So........

You need to push the fluid through the system from the caliper side. You need to force it through, and there needs to be no air - this is where the syringe comes into play. and the tube must fit sng on the bleeder, or you will get or, or a horrific mess, or both.

You need to watch the fluid coming out of the lever (master) and be sure there is no more air in the systen. This is where the proper fitting or similar device, (I used a straw from an aerosol and the cap from that aerosol. bend the straw in half, sticking one end in the lever and the other in the cap as a catch can. use tape to hold the straw in a u - shape. Force fluid through the system untill ther ei s steady stream of fluid from the straw.

Good luck, and If you have never bled brakes before, I would really get the money togeather for the kit.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:56 Quote
odin333 wrote:
you can make a kit with the RIGHT oil (don't do something stupid like dump lube in it), syringes, tubing, etc. but chances are your going to screw it up. get the proper Hayes issued bleed kit. it will come with step by step instructions and stuff designed exactly for the job making it much easier and with a better result.

if you can't afford to bleed your brakes, MTBing isn't for you. its expensive and you can't be poor to maintain a bike. i would suggest switching/trading to mechanical if you can since they are much cheaper to maintain.

Dont listen to this kind of nonsense, I rode brakless bmx for over a year well before it was hip to do so because I couldnt afford to fix my brakes- I took them off. Im a much better rider today for it, There was a time when I couldnt afford all the goodies I wanted, but I rode anyways. There is always a way.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
odin333 wrote:

Dont listen to this kind of nonsense, I rode brakless bmx for over a year well before it was hip to do so because I couldnt afford to fix my brakes- I took them off. Im a much better rider today for it, There was a time when I couldnt afford all the goodies I wanted, but I rode anyways. There is always a way.

What bout hills Helmet

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
drifter3 wrote:
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
odin333 wrote:

What bout hills Helmet

lolSmile

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
Lol, well, I didnt suggest riding downhill on a brakeless bike, the point is, if there is a will there's a way.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
I just recently tried bleeding without the kit and ended up buying the kit to re-bleed. It is worth it for the piece that fits into the bleed valve. After doing it with the kit, I was amazed at how easy/fast it was to do it properly. Do you have friends with Hayes brakes? Split the cost with them.

I would say if you are using Hayes brakes you should have the kit as mine are constantly needing to be bled. I hear this is a common problem with Hayes.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
Thanks for input guys!

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:49 Quote
I say to hell with the bleed kit, it's like $25 at my lbs...

My method was

Catheter syringe - $2

Elmers glue tip - Free

Open bleeder valve on caliper, take off screw on lever, fill syringe with brake fluid, put syringe tip in elmers glue tip, press firmly into the place where the screw was on the lever and push the plunger, once a solid stream comes from the caliper bleeder close the valve and then replace the screw. 2 minutes worth of work and 2 dollars later, better working than new. (it's even easier if you have an extra hand to open and close the bleeder valve)

Just my 2 cents

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 10:09 Quote
Thats all well and good, but you are bleeding them backwards. You should be forcing fluid from the caliper side according to Hayes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015714
Mobile Version of Website