(fixedgear) info & discussion

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
(fixedgear) info & discussion
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 16:41 Quote
This is the place to discuss fixed gear bicycles.

Almost everything you need to know about converting your old bike into a fixedgear!

~Parts you should know about.~

Frames,

SE
Soma
Surly
Fuji
EAI
Charge
All-City
Torelli
Colnago
Cinelli
Nagasawa
Leader
NS
Pake
GT
Masi
Nemesis Project
Brooklyn Machine Works
Geek House
Volume
Identiti
Tonic Fab
Local Frame Builders

Cranksets,

Sugino
Dura-Ace
Campagnolo
FSA
Miche
Truvativ
Paul
Profile Racing

Pedal Stuff,

Soma Cages & Straps
Hold Fast Straps
MKS
Campagnolo
Tioga
Brooks
Christophe
Odyssey
SPD
LOOK

Handlebars,

Nitto
Soma
Surly
Civia
Easton
FSA
Answer
Cinelli
Profile Designs

Tires,

Panaracer
Soma
Halo
Challange
Michelin
Vittoria
Tufo
Schwalbe
Continental

Chains,

KMC
IZUMI
Miche
Wipperman

Saddles,

Brooks
Cinelli
Charge
WTB
Selle San Marco
Selle Italia

Hubs,

Victoire
Phil Wood
CHUB
White Industries
Profile Racing
Paul
Dura-Ace
Campagnolo
Miche
Surly
Formula

~Places you should know about.~

Post Your Fixie

Sexiest Fixie

RATE MY RIDE Commuter/Road/Fixie

Sheldon Brown Technical Bicycle Info

The Fixed Gear Gallery

Prolly Is Not Probably

Velo Space

Trick Track

Pedal Mafia

14bikeco

Fixed Gear Republic

Rivendell Bicycle Works

Off Road Fixed

Tokyo Fixed Gear

Craigs List Classifides

Hold Fast

More to come...

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 18:15 Quote
Thanks for starting this thread.... very helpful

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
ok lol here we go. ok so i talked to a few more people and found out i should shoot for a 109mm or 107mm spindle. what do ya think??

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 19:13 Quote
I would play around with spindle sizes 102mm through 110mm. Go as short as possible without contact. 1cm of clearance from end of crank arm to chain stay is about right. Also a Fixed Gear specific crankset will help a bunch with clearance.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:30 Quote
nice work single speed. I guess you could sense me saying "not it" when you suggested this fourm Cool

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:58 Quote
lol alright i'm eyeballin a 107mm right now that i'm hoping to get. if i lived in a bigger city it would prob be cake trying to find an old spindle like this layin around. Yea i'm getting a single speed specific crankset so as you said should help me out. 107 seems like a happy medium. the rest should be simple enough to figure out. I may eventually pick up one of the velo orange BB if i enjoy riding around on the road enough. may be looking into a different frame such as an older Schwinn (pain in ass to find thanks to small city lol.) Thanks for all the help guys i'll be back with pics and prob more questions.Beer

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
I just recently finished my Fixie, and crashed, bending my drive side crank arm. It is the orginal one (cottered crank) and since then I have been looking to get a whole new bottom bracket and crank set. And all I want to know, is how to get the right sizing: the BB shell width and spindle lenght and ect. I'm no master mechanic and none of my LBS really care to help me with a fixie. And I think most people on here will no more than anybody around here.
Thanks.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
i recently started riding fixed to get my fitness up and as something to get around town on quickly with and i love it! however my right knee is getting really sore and giving me problems walking at times. does anyone else have this problem? will it pass once i get used to riding fixed or should i go see my doctor?
Cheers Ali

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
JasonxBates wrote:
I just recently finished my Fixie, and crashed, bending my drive side crank arm. It is the orginal one (cottered crank) and since then I have been looking to get a whole new bottom bracket and crank set. And all I want to know, is how to get the right sizing: the BB shell width and spindle lenght and ect. I'm no master mechanic and none of my LBS really care to help me with a fixie. And I think most people on here will no more than anybody around here.
Thanks.

well you should be able to find out pretty easy. most bikes ran english or italian depending on what type of bike it is. going fixie if you want to run a new school fixie crank you will want spindle length of bottom bracket to be between 103mm and 109mm. depending on the crank u use you may need to use some "rigged" type methods to adjust your chain line a bit.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 20:03 Quote
JasonxBates, I'm almost positive your frame will take a standard 68mm english bottom bracket. For spindle length go 109ish like Bkraft said.

Alimyers1234, I had the same kinda thing going on when I built up my bike. The theory I came up with is I was putting most of my weight on my right leg to try and make up for my bad pedaling technique. The next day I tried to spin the pedals super smoothly and the pain went away! It could be a number of other things though. If you go to the Rivendell link above they have some great tips about bike fit.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
I'm excited about this hub!

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://paulcomp.com/images/fixeddiskd1thumb.png
Introducing the Fixed/Disk version of the WORD hub. If you're looking for a 135mm spaced fixed gear hub for your mountain frame, or want to mount disk brakes on your fixed commuter, the Fixed/Disk WORD has you covered

Check it out! > Paul-Comp

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 23:27 Quote
i was thinking about the disc brake thing. i know there is a company that makes disc brake mount adapters that you can just "clamp/bolt" onto your seatstay. anyone know of these or the company that makes em??

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 9:21 Quote
Brake Therapy makes one but you still gotta have a cantilever mount. You can just buy a real disk mount and have it welded to your frame for around the same cost.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
Alright, thanks guys. I thought I could get a standard one, I just wanted to make sure.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 15:49 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Alimyers1234, I had the same kinda thing going on when I built up my bike. The theory I came up with is I was putting most of my weight on my right leg to try and make up for my bad pedaling technique. The next day I tried to spin the pedals super smoothly and the pain went away! It could be a number of other things though. If you go to the Rivendell link above they have some great tips about bike fit.
thanks for the advice, tried it today and it felt a lot better, i wouldnt say the pain went completely but its definately not as bad!
I was just wondering what sort of ratio you guys run, at the moment i have a 42-18 but im thinking of running 42-16, what do you guys think and suggest?
Thanks Ali

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015943
Mobile Version of Website