Powered by Outside

Fox Unveils 831 Fork! 15mm Quick rant

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Fox Unveils 831 Fork! 15mm Quick rant
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
Ok Hopefully enough people comment here on why they want a 20mm fork not a 15mm Qr hopefully fox sees this and pulls there head out there but and makes it 20mm, Lets leave the swearing to a minimum .

Personally I suspect that it has something to do with the Maxle 20mm and fox saying OK we will make a new standard 15mm size because they cant copy the maxle . Your thoughts

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:20 Quote
Stupid thread, pointless.

The 20mm axel is wayyy overkill, 15 is light and stiff. Fox made the 15mm thru axel sysytem stiffer than some Rocshox forks, why do you think it's stupid?

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:27 Quote
I don't see the problem with the size and strength of 15mm, it's the fact that if you buy one of these stupid forks you then have to get a new wheel

rokor wrote:
Stupid thread, pointless.

The 20mm axel is wayyy overkill, 15 is light and stiff. Fox made the 15mm thru axel sysytem stiffer than some Rocshox forks, why do you think it's stupid?

Thank you!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

As for the 15mm qr, I'm quite happy with the 15mm qr and will never look back. The 15mm is also not a new standard to try to replace the 20mm, you would have to be retarded to assume that. The 15mm qr is the new standard to replace the 9mm open drop outs.

chalky wrote:
I don't see the problem with the size and strength of 15mm, it's the fact that if you buy one of these stupid forks you then have to get a new wheel

No you don't. New hub or spacers/shim for you'r current hub.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:31 Quote
chalky wrote:

Depending on what you have, maybe so, but most hubs do have conversion kits. Also, having your front wheel rebuilt with a new hub is not really expensive either.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:35 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
chalky wrote:

Depending on what you have, maybe so, but most hubs do have conversion kits. Also, having your front wheel rebuilt with a new hub is not really expensive either.

A new hub + build + spokes if you need diff ones due to diff sized hub is not cheap at all considering you wouldnt have to pay anything if fox was using 20mm forks

Mod
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:35 Quote
If you want it, you have to get a 15mm hub. There is no sense in arguing about it. I mean if you want a new frame and it has a 150x12 spacing and you're current wheel is a 135mm hub, do you get mad or annoyed? No. The same goes for Sram's 1:1 shifters and derailleurs compared to the incompatible Shimano shifters and derailleurs. You can't mix and match everything. You are the one making the choice to buy something and if you don't want to buy additional components to make a certain product work, buy something else. There is no shortage of DJ/4x/slalom forks on the market. If Fox were the ones making a special 15mm hub and only they produced them, then, I could see an issue with people being annoyed. However, there are a few 15mm hub makers out there.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
chalky wrote:
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
chalky wrote:

A new hub + build + spokes if you need diff ones due to diff sized hub is not cheap at all considering you wouldnt have to pay anything if fox was using 20mm forks

Facepalm

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 4:40 Quote
you do realise you just need 30 bucks or less for a coversion kit. now if you have the money for a fox fork, i think youll have the money for a conversion

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 6:28 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
you do realise you just need 30 bucks or less for a coversion kit. now if you have the money for a fox fork, i think youll have the money for a conversion

Actually... I agreed it was stupid till you pointed that out. If you can afford a fox u can afford a new hub and either be able to afford a wheel build or should now how to yourself. Good point Salute

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 6:41 Quote
dirtybikejapan wrote:
Ok Hopefully enough people comment here on why they want a 20mm fork not a 15mm Qr hopefully fox sees this and pulls there head out there but and makes it 20mm, Lets leave the swearing to a minimum .

Personally I suspect that it has something to do with the Maxle 20mm and fox saying OK we will make a new standard 15mm size because they cant copy the maxle . Your thoughts

+1 would make things wayy easier

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 6:48 Quote
as has been said before, if you can afford this fork, you can afford a conversion. plus, if you build up a bike with this fork all you have to do is get a 15mm front hub, or buy a conversion kit. Im sure it has nothing to do with maxle, because you cant copyright an axel circumference. Maxle is the rockshox quick release 20mm axel, fox can make 20 mm axels as long as they dont call them maxle's and put a rockshox logo on them. 15mm is for other reasons, like stiffness and sheding a few grams to help the 831 hit that 3.8lbs mark.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
if its really 3.8 pounds though that is crazy!

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
streetparkrider wrote:
if its really 3.8 pounds though that is crazy!
20mm Reba Teams are just about that weight. It's not that crazy.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.424715
Mobile Version of Website