Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

can a bullit do it all?

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
hi guys, i'm pretty new to mountain biking but just bought my first serious bike and was looking for a bit of input on what its capable of as i probably wont get to ride it for another 5 months. I'll be using it for trail riding, downhill, climbing and xc. Some people say they suck at climbing and xc. Just looking to hear from people that have used the bullit for the same sort of thing and how well it does it all. cheers

Parts list:

Black Santa Cruz Bullit Frame size medium - 1.5" head tube, 150mm rear dropouts and 12mm thru axle
Rear Shock - Fox DHX 5.0 with propedal
Front Shock - Fox 36 Float RC2 with 20mm axle
DT Swiss FR2350 wheelset
2.7 Kenda Nevagal Stick-E John Tomac tires
Avid Code 5 203mm Hydraulic Dics Brakes
Cane Creek Double XC 1.5 to 1-1/8 reducing Headset
Easton Vice DH Stem
Easton Monkey Lite DH Carbon Fibre Handlebar
Easton Flatboy Pedals
Animal BMX Grips with End Caps
Sram X-9 Short Cage 9 speed Rear Deraileur
Sram X-9 Shifter
Full Length Nokon Cable Housing - brushed aluminum
Sram PG-990 9 Speed Cassette - anodized red
Sram PC-991 Hollow Pin Chain
Shimano SAINT hollowtec Crankset

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:44 Quote
It will only work for DH to a certain degree... and it will only work as a XC bike to a certain degree. So can it do it all? Yeah kinda but can it do it all well? No no bike can. As for XC capabilities im not sure.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
The bullit is my ride of choice for Freeride. But only for Freeride. It is good at DH too, but it does not shine in XC, your set up is a little more All Mountain than mine is though. I have a totem, which is a big difference ins bike feel because it has the same AC as a boxxer whereas your fork has a very (comparitively) short AC length. I use my bullit for DH and Freeride and the occasional All Mountain. and I don;t know if it is me of the bike, but I don't think the bullit likes going uphill. lol

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
whats it like to pedal when not going uphill?

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
beetle205 wrote:
whats it like to pedal when not going uphill?
it's a joke mate.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
Haha i think he was being serious. Like flat ground pedaling.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:07 Quote
The Bullit relies on a pedal platform in a shock to pedal well uphill, which is kind of cheating.

If you want a do it all bike, take a look at a Banshee Rune or a Banshee Spitfire (new for 2010)
I know the Rune pedals exceedingly well, it's also got plenty of travel and a SUPER burly frame design thats around the same weight as a bullit. It's a TRUE AM bike.

A few other bikes to consider are the GT Sanction, which pedals like a beast and is burly as hell, the Transition Covert, which is more on the XC side, and the Transition BottleRocket which is more on the freeride side.

The reason I would suggest ANY of the bikes I just linked over a Santa Cruz Bullit is the do-it-all factor. The Bullit is a great bike for sure, its just very simplistic, which some people enjoy....but it doesn't excel at everything. All the bikes I just linked have technology that is really recent, and benefits more aspects of riding. They still won't excel at riding everything, but they do cover a broader spectrum.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
thats quite a build for a first beginner bike... much better than mine and ive been riding for years

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
meant pedalling when trail riding or xc, i was looking at the nomad to but went with the bullit to save some money, i like the idea of a beefier bike but don't want it to be a pig

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:18 Quote
beetle205 wrote:
meant pedalling when trail riding or xc, i was looking at the nomad to but went with the bullit to save some money, i like the idea of a beefier bike but don't want it to be a pig
Meh...lots of parts you have are really overbuilt

And the bullit being a freeride bike pedals well...but doesnt exceed. like everyone has said, its an OK bike at doing everything.

Whats your budget brah?

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
d-bax wrote:
thats quite a build for a first beginner bike... much better than mine and ive been riding for years
all the gear and no idea! just went riding at kicking horse this summer and loved it so saved up some cash to get a good bike

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:22 Quote
beetle205 wrote:
d-bax wrote:
all the gear and no idea! just went riding at kicking horse this summer and loved it so saved up some cash to get a good bike
BTW
Congrats! Good to see a new rider!

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:22 Quote
Whats your budget brah?[/Quote]
max 3000

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
beetle205 wrote:
[Quote="nishnash] Whats your budget brah?
max 3000[/Quote]
Gotcha
Well I'm guessing you haven't looked at prices much....but the bullit you specced is like 5g's.

3g's you could get a Transition bottle rocket, or dig up a preston Fr for sale.
Both those bikes are 5.5 inches of travel, great to start on and last a beating. Decent weights, pedal exceedingly well to.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
I know its labeled as a 'girls bike' but I think the transition syren would be a great bike IMO,but I would talk to someone who has ridden one before it just seems like a great bike to me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022562
Mobile Version of Website