Powered by Outside

Profile hub on DJ bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Profile hub on DJ bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 13:43 Quote
hi, im swapping my free coaster for a profile ss hub. its bmx spacing but could i make spacers for it to fit my mtb bike frame. i have horizontall drop outs so i run single speed but has anyone else done this before . Beer

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
they make a mtb ss hub. why not just buy it?

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
the-stig-on-a-bike wrote:
hi, im swapping my free coaster for a profile ss hub. its bmx spacing but could i make spacers for it to fit my mtb bike frame. i have horizontall drop outs so i run single speed but has anyone else done this before . Beer
ive thought about it, first off i assume you have mtb spacing and 14mm dropouts, or are using a 3/8" axle, but what i did is i took the small lock nuts and switched them out with the other nuts(i know that sounds wrong)

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
I guess you could put 1/2 in spacers on either side and buy some longer bolts.

Why not buy a hub that's 135mm wide though?

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
hardcorebiz wrote:
I guess you could put 1/2 in spacers on either side and buy some longer bolts.

Why not buy a hub that's 135mm wide though?
yeah im sure he can sell his hub or trade for a mtb hub or if he has enough money for a profile hub im sure he has enough money for a mtb hub

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
Lol.....chainline. That's all I'll say about that genius plan.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 3:07 Quote
bmcginn wrote:
as i said im swapping my freecoaster for the profile.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 3:09 Quote
BENBCM wrote:
ive thought about it, first off i assume you have mtb spacing and 14mm dropouts, or are using a 3/8" axle, but what i did is i took the small lock nuts and switched them out with the other nuts(i know that sounds wrong)

do you have any pictures?

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
bmcginn wrote:
as i said im swapping my freecoaster for the profile.

sell it. buy the correct spacing. seems kind of silly to trade for it.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
you cant buy them in england

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 9:05 Quote
you cant buy them in england

Have you tried contacting the distributor directly? I don't see why they would only offer BMX hubs and not MTB ones as well.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
i can get one from america for £133.70 but then i have to pay for p&p and import charges. i just want to know if anyone has put a bmx hub on a mtb and made it work.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
it doesnt work. The chainline will be way off. Theirs a reason why profile made a mtb hub and bmx hub. The spacing is diffrent by 25mm and diffrent axel size to. Your answer is no.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 9:51 Quote
duboiss wrote:
it doesnt work. The chainline will be way off. Theirs a reason why profile made a mtb hub and bmx hub. The spacing is diffrent by 25mm and diffrent axel size to. Your answer is no.

not even if i made spacers. me and my dad are qualified engineers and we have the tools to do it.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
duboiss wrote:

not even if i made spacers. me and my dad are qualified engineers and we have the tools to do it.

No, spacers will not solve the problem. Even if you build spacers, it will not change the location of the cog/driver and that is where the issue is.

If you look at where your chain lines sits with a 135mm, you will have to subtract 12.5mm from the width on that side. The issue then is moving the cranks in that same distance to retain a straight chain line. I don't know about your bike but most bikes do not have that much room to work with which is why the MTB specific SS hub was created.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010082
Mobile Version of Website