Powered by Outside

PHOTOGRAPHY...Lighting DH Riders?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
PHOTOGRAPHY...Lighting DH Riders?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 at 4:25 Quote
hi all,
i have been into photography for the past couple of years now but i am brand new to biking photography. I am looking to strt attending DH events with my camera and get some decent shots.

However can anyone tell me the best ways in which to light good DH action shots. I own an appropriate SLR, lenses, flah guns and wireless flash triggers. So is it best to light the riders from both sides up high? from both sides down low? from just one side to pick out shoddows? directly infrot of the rider? or does it all just depend on what the conditions are like and which method will bring me the sharpest most interesting images?

please let me know which methods have worked the besr for you and post some of your favourite examples!

Smile nick

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 at 4:55 Quote
This is one of my favourites...

photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 13:54 Quote
im exactly in the same position, anymore knowledge you can shed on me?

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 5:40 Quote
I like to have one flash lighting the rider from the front/side and one behind them lighting the back and side abit to make rim light.

Heres some examples, Im still working on it:

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 5:48 Quote
NickDavis wrote:

photo

Im not 100% sure, but I'd say thats all natural light.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 9:25 Quote
cheers for this mate, your pics are great keep going!!

if i am only able to use one flashgun where is the best place for it???
thanks.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 9:39 Quote
Thanks. Id put it somwhere where it will light up the majority of the rider from your view point, but will still show some shadows on the subject.

Sort of like this:

photo

Your best bet is just to experiment tho.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 10:09 Quote
nice pics, i have 2 flashguns but only one reviever, so do i have to buy another one, cos there really expensive, im using remote not optical.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
Im just using cheap ones off ebay, there abot £10 per receiver.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 10:47 Quote
but will my remote detect the recievers?

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 10:51 Quote
Probably not. What make are yours?

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 Quote
Twinlink, the recievers £70 ish ! dont fancy paying that tbh... http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/DalePhotographicOnline/_Seculine%20Twin%20Link%20T2D%20%20RECEIVER%20ONLY

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 11:22 Quote
well i'm just using cheap one's off ebay aswell, with a transmitter and two recivers. It only cost me £10 for the transmitter and reciver set and a furhter £6 for the extra reciver with free p&p and they work great. It will work out cheaper for you to buy a whole new set but they might not be as good as yours though.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 11:34 Quote
ye, i got mine for xmas so kinda not worth it.

Posted: Jan 9, 2010 at 14:38 Quote
dingus wrote:
NickDavis wrote:

photo

Im not 100% sure, but I'd say thats all natural light.

It's a great shot alright, but it's definitely got a flash component to it. You don't get the eyes lit up like that without a flash or low sun - and the sun ain't low in that.

(First post, but much experience shooting MTB)

Cheers - N
www.nzsnaps.com

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.102460
Mobile Version of Website