Im a noob / retard

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Im a noob / retard
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
I bought a fork.

Removed the top cap , spacers, stem from the bike

I have a fsa pig headset

I dont want to screw up everything, i cannot manage to take off the little c shaped washer without trashing it, i tryed twice with a screwdriver bu seeing the part deteriorating and my progres not going anywhere i stopped and came here to ask.

Do i just put a piece of wood on the top of the steerer and tap with a a hammer?

If so how does it come back on? sounds ridiculous to me to pound it in.

HALP

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:23 Quote
Not sure what your trying to say... picture?

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Not sure what your trying to say... picture?

tap the fork out with a mallet and just take out the spacer after u remove the fork

its the simplest thing ever once you put the fork back in just slide the compression ring back into its place.

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:34 Quote
no pictures im not on my computer right now

i basically took off everything that logically keep the steertube from getting out of the frame and it still wont budge.

hold on i'll hit ms paint

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/1424xls.jpg[/IMG]

if it fails try this link

http://i47.tinypic.com/1424xls.jpg

I assume there is a way to pull it out real simple i just cant figure it out and dont want to ef up everything

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:36 Quote
Getbent418 wrote:
no pictures im not on my computer right now

i basically took off everything that logically keep the steertube from getting out of the frame and it still wont budge.

hold on i'll hit ms paint

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i47.tinypic.com/1424xls.jpg
if it fails try this link

http://i47.tinypic.com/1424xls.jpg

I assume there is a way to pull it out real simple i just cant figure it out and dont want to ef up everything

yeah, just beat the fork out, and it should come right out. Grease it before you re-install it.

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:57 Quote
Thanks guys, i tought about it but i am waiting on my stand so i can work on it on a unakward position.

Im setting my own home shop since money is good for the moment at work i stack stuff up so im not depending on bike shops when im broke.

So thanks mods please close

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 20:09 Quote
Save the beatings until you've exhausted every other option! It can (and will) damage your bearings if you're not careful.

Just take a small, strong screw-driver to the little notch in the compression ring, and slowly pry one side up. If it doesn't release right away (which, by the sounds of it, it isn't), try the other side, and keep working back and forth like that. If necessary, give the steerer a slight tap with a mallet (rubber is best) to help dislodge the ring. Unfortunately it is quite common for pigs to get stuck like that, and your only real option is to keep struggling with it.

If you do insist on just beating it like a primate with a spanner, then you'll end up pitting the top race, crushing the bearings, and potentially making your headset feel like wank-covered cardboard.

To the other posters advocating beating the thing out with as much force as one can manage: yes, it may have worked for you, and it may have worked for your friend, but that doesn't mean it is a safe, smart, or good way to do things. It's like having relations with your sister: sure, the parts all fit, and it would make sense if you didn't know otherwise, but the end result has too high a risk of popping out retarded with a clubbed-foot.

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 20:14 Quote
Eeh... never had an issue with it, better way to do it is to beat it out about a half an inch and then push the fork back up... the compression ring should pop out.

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 18:05 Quote
i tryed with a screwdriver and dthe blade is too wide for the slot.

its just mashing it, its clearly going nowhere this way.

any other tool i can use? im thinking of spraying some kind of lube or something on it, it is sitting since 2006 never been used hard so i guess stuff is stuck together.

I bought a stand so i'll wait for that to come home before trying it, takinga fork off alone without a stand is kindof retarded since i can't even ride for like two months i can wait a week to work on my stand.

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 11:13 Quote
bashing it out with a mallet wont damages much of anything... just give it a good whack it'll pop out.... if you've taken out your spacers and just hit the steer tube only you'll be fine... if u manage it mash the top of the tube a bit its no biggie just file down the tube a bit...

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 12:57 Quote
I gently tapped on it with a small hammer and it went out like a charm.

Thing is something seems like it doesnt fit.

where the steering tube and the crown meet.

there is some kinf of spacer that seems to be part of the fork or press fitted in there, this part wont fit into my headset.

The one on my original fork is different from the one on the pike, is there any way to swap it?

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 13:13 Quote
Getbent418 wrote:
I gently tapped on it with a small hammer and it went out like a charm.

Thing is something seems like it doesnt fit.

where the steering tube and the crown meet.

there is some kinf of spacer that seems to be part of the fork or press fitted in there, this part wont fit into my headset.

The one on my original fork is different from the one on the pike, is there any way to swap it?

what ever head set is in the bike, it goes with the crown race that was on the previous fork...these are NOT universal. theres usually a notch on the crown under the race and u can pry it off with a flat head...pressing it back in is a bit harder... but do able... with a piece of pvc tube..

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 13:19 Quote
i tryed lightly but did not insist, i'd rather come here and ask than to ef up something bad.

so this thing is called a crown race huh, thanks for the info.

Im glad its winter here and i can't even ride cause otherwise i'd be fuuing up right now.

i think once i take both off i will leave the receiver fork outside so its cold and i will heat up the crown race a bit so it might help a bit?

Working without a stand to change a fork is pretty retarded imo i'm all over the place trying to not scratch stuff.

FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 13:46 Quote
Getbent418 wrote:
i tryed lightly but did not insist, i'd rather come here and ask than to ef up something bad.

so this thing is called a crown race huh, thanks for the info.

Im glad its winter here and i can't even ride cause otherwise i'd be fuuing up right now.

i think once i take both off i will leave the receiver fork outside so its cold and i will heat up the crown race a bit so it might help a bit?

Working without a stand to change a fork is pretty retarded imo i'm all over the place trying to not scratch stuff.
this is the easiest way to remove the crown races and fit the new fork:
photo

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 at 13:57 Quote
it already been done on another thread you twat.

Its the mechanics forum and the thread name i assume im a retard at bike mechanic.

So LOLZ ZOMG YOU HAS TEH FAIL !!!111oneone

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.205371
Mobile Version of Website