Powered by Outside

Single Speed Or Gears?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Single Speed Or Gears?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 1:49 Quote
so im into dirt jumping, trails and street. i have a giant stp1. do you think i should go single speed or stay with gears? would single speed be lighter?
opinions would be great.. cheers tup

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 1:54 Quote
for DJ ,park and street i would definatly go single speed as it is lighter, less maintenance, less wires around the bike and you could sell the deraleur and casette on PB and get some money back, on the other hand if u hav a long way to cycle to ur riding spots and lots of hills i would definatly use gears as its alot easier and quicker to get there.
and it depends on what sort of trails u do to wether u go ss or gears.

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 3:05 Quote
dirt jumping you only need a few pedals at the start to get going so gears are a no no, for park and street a derailleur will only get broken so go for singlespeed

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 3:16 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
dirt jumping you only need a few pedals at the start to get going so gears are a no no, for park and street a derailleur will only get broken so go for singlespeed
I ride a HT for Dh, only SS, i built it for downhill use only pretty much...So simple... i havent had to touch my drivetrain for a couple years other then lube...

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 6:15 Quote
GEARS ARE FOR QUEERS Big Grin going single speed was the best thing i ever done to my bike lol

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 11:42 Quote
perkz wrote:
GEARS ARE FOR QUEERS Big Grin going single speed was the best thing i ever done to my bike lol

yeah same here!! just ss it in a decent gear for whatever you ride... i run 32:16 Wink

btw theres about a million threads about this...

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
carrerablastrider wrote:
perkz wrote:

yeah same here!! just ss it in a decent gear for whatever you ride... i run 32:16 Wink

btw theres about a million threads about this...

i run 32:16 as well Big Grin

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 11:32 Quote
Single Speed FTW Big Grin I changed my bike this christmas and i'm running 28/16 and it's awesome, the chain stays where it belongs riding fakie and landing big airs, i don't worry about noises and problems changing the gear, and when i'm going to the park i don't have difficulties...Just pedal hard you'll get there (:

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 11:39 Quote
single speed hands down!

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 21:05 Quote
How would a 28/15 run?

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 0:08 Quote
thats pretty light. but it also depends on your wheel size, what size wheels do you have?

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 0:28 Quote
perkz wrote:
AMEN TO THAT!!!

gears suck! and swallow! (watch this post get deleted for inappropriate content)

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 0:29 Quote
jgmurch wrote:
How would a 28/15 run?
thats such low gearing... i like my 32/16!

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 0:32 Quote
32:14 feels a bit light to me

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013729
Mobile Version of Website