Powered by Outside

Flats or Clipped?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Flats or Clipped?
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 10:17 Quote
flats so when u race you ccan throw a sick NFCC when u win. hahaha, naw jk. i feel more in control with flats

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
BOTH depends on what mood I am in... As kids don't we all start out flats? I started using clips in around pre 2000. went back to clps for bmx, then back to clips... I now ride clips on XC, and flats on street/dirt, and clips on the BMX races

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 20:11 Quote
themunn wrote:
I started racing on flats earlier this year but have since changed to spd's (shimano's specifically) and from my experience it's so much better! Pedalling the bike feels alot better, I used to find my feet would bounce on the pedals over bumps (riding a hardtail for 4X) and also when landing jumps I sometimes found that my foot position would change mid-air and would have to adjust before pedalling again. I'd say for people who haven't tried it they should certainly give it a go, you can always just change back to flats if you dont like it...
its fairly expensive if your not gonna like it because shoes are 80 - 100 and pedals are atleast 50

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
maybe so... but who out there doesn't have a friend that has had them at one point or anoither... if you have good friends that are willing to get rid of their stuff... there's always another option other than new yah know...

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 23:50 Quote
ptsgrafitti21 wrote:
themunn wrote:
I started racing on flats earlier this year but have since changed to spd's (shimano's specifically) and from my experience it's so much better! Pedalling the bike feels alot better, I used to find my feet would bounce on the pedals over bumps (riding a hardtail for 4X) and also when landing jumps I sometimes found that my foot position would change mid-air and would have to adjust before pedalling again. I'd say for people who haven't tried it they should certainly give it a go, you can always just change back to flats if you dont like it...
its fairly expensive if your not gonna like it because shoes are 80 - 100 and pedals are atleast 50

or.. you could try a mates, go to a bike shop and try em out.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 0:11 Quote
Depends flats are better if your just starting because they help create a good technique and when your a beginner you crash often so flats are better for beginners but spds give you much better pedalling power but the 5.10s are amazingly good

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 0:43 Quote
I ride both flats and clips but mainly clips.

I normally ride clips for tracks that are fast and technical. They give you a lot more control and make me ride so much smoother. Its really personal preference. Try both and then decide which is more suited to you.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 5:43 Quote
I ride crankbrothers clipless pedals for dh. Does anyone else use these?

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 5:55 Quote
i normaly ride flat pedals. but i never treid clipless yet, im hoping to next season for when i race

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 5:59 Quote
please try before you race get some time in before you race in these... it'll save you... believe it...

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 6:02 Quote
twowheels4ever wrote:
please try before you race get some time in before you race in these... it'll save you... believe it...

ya i heard

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 6:35 Quote
yea, i have tried both flats and clips .... clips were not a good time, at times id try to take my feet off and id just end up tipping over. i gave up after i fell down and got stuck, and i couldnt get up

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
yea my friend does it and i have tried it im just not sure if i wanna spend 150 and end up not liking it!

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 17:07 Quote
ptsgrafitti21 wrote:
yea my friend does it and i have tried it im just not sure if i wanna spend 150 and end up not liking it!

Thats exactly what i did ... and later i found out that clips just were not for me

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
ptsgrafitti21 wrote:
okay dude what are you looking at riding/trying out? I will send you a set of X-PEDO's if you wnat to try them... what size of shoe do you wear? I'm gonna need your address too so send it to me I will post it USPS tomorrow morning if you really want to try 'em...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011131
Mobile Version of Website