Powered by Outside

Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
they have such sick graphics

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 6:24 Quote
stryke wrote:
i ride troy lee helmets but only because they free.. it hurts so much when i hit my head compared to my old giro

Precisely.

Laurie, I can't see how you can say that a THE will give the same protection as a Bell Ballistic. I had a bell, and the front chin part used to bend in so far that they could touch. My THE doesn't do the same.

The experience I've had with TLD's is not the same as that of some other helmets.

Why don't people just buy a Moto Lid. My buddy has one that is the same weight as my THE composite, gives much more protection and looks 10x better.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 6:38 Quote
F4RM3R wrote:
Why don't people just buy a Moto Lid. My buddy has one that is the same weight as my THE composite, gives much more protection and looks 10x better.
most moto lids are heavier, not all of them- but most, due to the fact they use more protective material/stronger materials to conform to DOT standards.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 6:39 Quote
cneums wrote:
F4RM3R wrote:
most moto lids are heavier, not all of them- but most, due to the fact they use more protective material/stronger materials to conform to DOT standards.

and in low speed crashes on a mtb cuase more damage than protection

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
cneums wrote:
F4RM3R wrote:
i acctually got what felt like whiplash from a moto helmet when i was younger because it weights so much and now i run a tld but i only got it because the fit of it i have tryed on the majority of the bigger names helmets wise such as 661, THE etc and found the THE felt to open in the face and the 661 evolution just felt a bit odd hence why i went with a tld because they feel soo comfortable

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 8:10 Quote
F4RM3R wrote:
stryke wrote:
i ride troy lee helmets but only because they free.. it hurts so much when i hit my head compared to my old giro

Precisely.

Laurie, I can't see how you can say that a THE will give the same protection as a Bell Ballistic. I had a bell, and the front chin part used to bend in so far that they could touch. My THE doesn't do the same.

The experience I've had with TLD's is not the same as that of some other helmets.

moto lids are more dangerous on downhill due to the fact they're designed for much faster and harder impacts.. the foam may no compress on a bike crash therfor injuring your head much like a troy lee!

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
stryke wrote:
F4RM3R wrote:
stryke wrote:

Precisely.

moto lids are more dangerous on downhill due to the fact they're designed for much faster and harder impacts.. the foam may no compress on a bike crash therfor injuring your head much like a troy lee!

Depends what type off downhill track it is,if it's gnarly and very fast then a moto lid should do job fine,been running a moto lid in the past for downhill still it weigth 1.5kg but head a bell bellistic after that,the weigth was under 1kg and i broke it after 2 crashes,also most off the 661 and fox helmets are for Motocross.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
fantaman wrote:
also most off the 661 and fox helmets are for Motocross.

sorry...that's not exactly correct. fox and 661 have separate lines for moto and bicycle, this is quite obvious just from taking a look at their websites. most 661 and fox lids that riders wear were designed for biking, not moto, as they do not meet the higher standards required (DOT) for moto.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
fantaman wrote:
stryke wrote:
F4RM3R wrote:

Precisely.

Depends what type off downhill track it is,if it's gnarly and very fast then a moto lid should do job fine,been running a moto lid in the past for downhill still it weigth 1.5kg but head a bell bellistic after that,the weigth was under 1kg and i broke it after 2 crashes,also most off the 661 and fox helmets are for Motocross.

helmets are supposed to break so they protect your head..

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
Depends what type off downhill track it is,if it's gnarly and very fast then a moto lid should do job fine,been running a moto lid in the past for downhill still it weigth 1.5kg but head a bell bellistic after that,the weigth was under 1kg and i broke it after 2 crashes,also most off the 661 and fox helmets are for Motocross.[/Quote]

Dude, you should have chucked it after one crash... thats all its designed for

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
cneums wrote:
fantaman wrote:

sorry...that's not exactly correct. fox and 661 have separate lines for moto and bicycle, this is quite obvious just from taking a look at their websites. most 661 and fox lids that riders wear were designed for biking, not moto, as they do not meet the higher standards required (DOT) for moto.

Some off those helmets are for biking and Moto at 661 like the flight and warp(DOT),but other than that you are right

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:55 Quote
fantaman wrote:
cneums wrote:
fantaman wrote:

Some off those helmets are for biking and Moto at 661 like the flight and warp(DOT),but other than that you are right

right, but for the most part the helmets they design (and users wear) are separate

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 9:15 Quote
Personally I don't think age matters to whether or not you have one. If you have the money, I say go for it. To me it seems like everyone on Pinkbike flames anyone who is younger and has something nice.
(I don't own anything flashy or nice, just saying)

My 2 cents

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
I hope that you realise that TLd doesnt just meet safety requirements, but exceeds them. The same with POC helmets, which are also pricey.
YEa you can put them down because people just get them because of the fact that they are TLD, i personally dont have one because i dont have the cash.
People may like them because of their flashy looks, but the R&D that has gone into them is top quality, and they provide very good safety. Just look at how they are pushing the industry forward with their new D3.

And yes i know what im talking about for the flamers, i wrote my final thesis on downhill mountain bike helmet materials and technology, with a focus on the new developments with the D3.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 at 15:03 Quote
pushing the industry forward with the d3?

poc is pushing the industry forward, not troy lee, troy lee is making people look pretty while giving the same protection as everything else

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.433409
Mobile Version of Website