Powered by Outside

Good forks? I paid good money and I don't know how to work on my fork.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Good forks? I paid good money and I don't know how to work on my fork.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 19:11 Quote
Alrite! thanks for all the advice. My LBS charges $50 just to open a fork so i am going to try to avoid that for now unless i get desperate. I am 155 pounds so i am going to put X firm springs in the fork and try that. I just like my forks REALLY tough. I will also check all the other things. I have learned alot from this Thanks to everyone that posted. I have got my answer no need to keep posting.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
yea i would also check the oil because even if its low a little it will effect the preformance of it people should get there oil and seals checked frequently ie. 1 year

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:
Alrite! thanks for all the advice. My LBS charges $50 just to open a fork so i am going to try to avoid that for now unless i get desperate. I am 155 pounds so i am going to put X firm springs in the fork and try that. I just like my forks REALLY tough. I will also check all the other things. I have learned alot from this Thanks to everyone that posted. I have got my answer no need to keep posting.
I've spent a good 5 minutes wondering what to say to you. Nothing comes to mind.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
Maybe you can tell us pricisely your settings are? You are using a shock pump right? Please don't be insulted as I only want to help. If you have 4 different shock pumps I apologize. Does this fork have a neg air spring setting also (air on top and below in the lower leg?). When you say that the fork is toping out what exactly does that mean? Does this fork use all it's travel? Maybe compession damping valve is stuck or damaged? I have never had a problem with a Marz fork that hasn't been related to setup tweaks. Is it possible something is being overlooked? Even the low end Marz stuff seems to take a beating and perform very well...

I hope you get this sorted. Good luck!
A.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
neex wrote:
Maybe you can tell us pricisely your settings are? You are using a shock pump right? Please don't be insulted as I only want to help. If you have 4 different shock pumps I apologize. Does this fork have a neg air spring setting also (air on top and below in the lower leg?). When you say that the fork is toping out what exactly does that mean? Does this fork use all it's travel? Maybe compession damping valve is stuck or damaged? I have never had a problem with a Marz fork that hasn't been related to setup tweaks. Is it possible something is being overlooked? Even the low end Marz stuff seems to take a beating and perform very well...

I hope you get this sorted. Good luck!
A.
yes i am using a shock pump. For fork is dual air (air pump on both sides). Only setting is a reboud adjuster which i have set at fastest.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:25 Quote
fast rebound does no good at all...Facepalm

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:29 Quote
I just saw your 'no need to post' comment - sorry. Maybe you could enlighten those of us who are curious as to what 'your answer' was??? I would be interested in knowing anyway. If you want to take it offline please PM me.

Thanks,
A.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:39 Quote
I am going to do a complete rebuild and put X firm 85mm springs in it

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:41 Quote
try just turning the rebound down

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:43 Quote
saturnine wrote:
try just turning the rebound down
I have dosn't work

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
After rereading I think that your problem is that the rebound circuit/valve is wide open. This will cause the quick 'top out' and would likely cause the piston slap or whatever it is that's making that abrupt contact. That dial you have full open controls the speed at which the suspension returns upwards. When you pull up you are likely being 'beaten' by the fast air assisted rebound setting. Does it improve if you run that rebound knob at about 1/3 of what it's at now?

How many PSI do you have in the pos and neg chambers??

Thanks,
Andrew.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:46 Quote
neex wrote:
After rereading I think that your problem is that the rebound circuit/valve is wide open. This will cause the quick 'top out' and would likely cause the piston slap or whatever it is that's making that abrupt contact. That dial you have full open controls the speed at which the suspension returns upwards. When you pull up you are likely being 'beaten' by the fast air assisted rebound setting. Does it improve if you run that rebound knob at about 1/3 of what it's at now?

How many PSI do you have in the pos and neg chambers??

Thanks,
Andrew.
I got 50 in each leg

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
CLOSE THIS HE HAS HIS ANSWER!! thankyou

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:55 Quote
AustinSedz wrote:
CLOSE THIS HE HAS HIS ANSWER!! thankyou
Not by a long shot.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 21:59 Quote
Just to make sure you know rebound adjustment effects how fast the fork returns to full travel after a hit, be it the face of a jump or landing. Full fast is going make it return fast and cause it to top out, full slow will make it want to stay compressed, no oil and the adjustments will make no difference.
Dual air means that on the top and bottom of a fork leg, not one on each side. I am sure that what you have is air preload, or helper. It does what we use to do by over filling the fork with oil, oil will not compress as easy as air so the fork would ramp up faster, air preload does the same thing by putting the air space above the oil under pressure so the fork ramps up quicker, air preload is easier on the fork as if you get too much air in the fork it will just seep past the seals. A fork with too much oil will blow the seals out of the fork. I found that out with a 02 JrT that was bottoming but I liked the feel of the spring and rebound so I just kept adding oil to stiffen it up, took it for a ride did a 4 foot drop to flat, seal blew out of the left leg and I toasted the stanction, in time I found that a 2-4% over fill worked best for me, but those days are over now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009170
Mobile Version of Website