What's the Cheapest Way to Get Into DH?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the Cheapest Way to Get Into DH?
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
i bought a used stinky, and any gear i could find on sale or on ebay. also met some cool peep at local spots who hooked me up with a few hand-downs

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 14:14 Quote
timmyfosho wrote:
i bought a used stinky, and any gear i could find on sale or on ebay. also met some cool peep at local spots who hooked me up with a few hand-downs

Exactly, i saw an 07 stinky in new condition for 1000$ in my local area.

Some people are skeptical about konas but this is all irrelevant to the topic.

find a used bike that's a thousand dollars or less and you'll be fine. Iv seen 05 norcos for complete is good shape for 700$.

My buddy got his devinci for $1000. An 05 frame with allot of 06 parts on it.

As for gear, alot of deals ive seen even throw in the gear.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
[Quote="peter16"]
badbadleroybrown wrote:
jackariusjones wrote:

ive had both, and gotta say the bighit is 10x better

HaHa, that's funny but it shows how much of a bike is preference cause I was just gonna say the exact oposite. I've ridden both but thought the stinky was way better.
stinkys are shit the suspension design is crap[/Quot

Stinkys suspension is not a crap design... its all about personal preference. i have a stab primo, and a 2007 aline park, and i much prefer the ride quality on my stab primo. Kona faux bar works. its not overly complicated but it works and works well. Ask fabian barel and the rest of the kona team that have won many world cups on it.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 16:51 Quote
[Quote="Cliff-Huxtable"]
peter16 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

HaHa, that's funny but it shows how much of a bike is preference cause I was just gonna say the exact oposite. I've ridden both but thought the stinky was way better.

Stinkys suspension is not a crap design... its all about personal preference. i have a stab primo, and a 2007 aline park, and i much prefer the ride quality on my stab primo. Kona faux bar works. its not overly complicated but it works and works well. Ask fabian barel and the rest of the kona team that have won many world cups on it.

i disagree, my stinky was better for pedalling than the bighit, but i hated the suspension, it didnt fel like it was connected, i just thought it was sketchy

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
[Quote="jackariusjones"]
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
peter16 wrote:

i disagree, my stinky was better for pedalling than the bighit, but i hated the suspension, it didnt fel like it was connected, i just thought it was sketchy

yea ive never riden a stinky... just my stab primo... but i would imagine they would be similar

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
i love my stinky. no doubt that there are better bikes out there, but seeing that a bighit is more than likely going to cost more i don't feel it is as good as a stinky. plus it's got 24" wheels.
i like the suspension design and feel of the stinky very much. it's probably going to be a lot better when i get a dhx 5.0 and the floating brake also. i've never bottomed the thing out, even after some stupid ass drops or f*ck ups. it feels like i can huck the thing off of anything and be fine. i don't get any pedal bob, and it can be pedaled uphill pretty well with a little muscle.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 17:34 Quote
[Quote="Cliff-Huxtable"]
jackariusjones wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:

yea ive never riden a stinky... just my stab primo... but i would imagine they would be similar

one time i went to cop and rented a stinky garbanzo and it feels wayy better then my 03 a-line and feels kinda like my friends santa cruz bullit. the stinky frame with some kind of air shock like a dhx 5.0 is heavenly

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 2:16 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
HARDTAIL
if you want to be a better overall rider, start out with a hardtail, and then after a season or so of riding buy yourself a squishy. But don't start out the beginning of the season on the full-susp. if you do then you won't pick as good line as you would otherwise, b/c you will have lost some skill over the winter. Basically take your hardtail down the hill for a few weeks, and then go to a dually.

i agree 100%
i started (and still am) on a hardtail and i find i tend to be smoother and find smooth lines a bit better. starting on a duallie you can just go over anything and you just point and shoot really, i think something like a norco sasquatch would be a good beginners bike

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 2:19 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
coaster156 wrote:
HARDTAIL
if you want to be a better overall rider, start out with a hardtail, and then after a season or so of riding buy yourself a squishy. But don't start out the beginning of the season on the full-susp. if you do then you won't pick as good line as you would otherwise, b/c you will have lost some skill over the winter. Basically take your hardtail down the hill for a few weeks, and then go to a dually.

i agree 100%
i started (and still am) on a hardtail and i find i tend to be smoother and find smooth lines a bit better. starting on a duallie you can just go over anything and you just point and shoot really, i think something like a norco sasquatch would be a good beginners bike

i ride a norco 125 with a jr t on it right now. its not really fancy but its super smooth and feels excelent for dh and freeride

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 2:29 Quote
i use a norco ryde with a dj1. not much difference than to using rigids lol but it helps you be smoother

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010352
Mobile Version of Website