Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.
Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
RGB Mousepad??? Why?!?!

Sounds like fantastic upgrade though man! Always wanted a z77 chipset when I was younger, remember lusting after an ASRock Z77 Extreme1 motherboard... would still outdo my current system too! lol Cry

On that particular note, having a weird boot loop issue with my MSI 775 board, it goes from halfway though loading the OS to restart several times before actually finishing the boot.

Yet I take the Q6600 and RAM (3.5GB!) and same boot drive into a shitty Dell board and it has no such issue so I know it’s a board issue. Cleared the CMOS and checked the bios config and nothing is jumping out at me, any ideas?

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 23:52 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
RGB Mousepad??? Why?!?!

Sounds like fantastic upgrade though man! Always wanted a z77 chipset when I was younger, remember lusting after an ASRock Z77 Extreme1 motherboard... would still outdo my current system too! lol Cry

On that particular note, having a weird boot loop issue with my MSI 775 board, it goes from halfway though loading the OS to restart several times before actually finishing the boot.

Yet I take the Q6600 and RAM (3.5GB!) and same boot drive into a shitty Dell board and it has no such issue so I know it’s a board issue. Cleared the CMOS and checked the bios config and nothing is jumping out at me, any ideas?

Well the z77 stuff is for sale...

Haha

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 5:17 Quote
*cough cough no selling on forums cough*

lol

Thanks for the offer man, but considering how I’m still battling along with a ddr2/775 system and a GT240 your old setup might be slightly out of my league price wise! I would probably only be able to offer you less than CeX!

Has anyone had any issues with the kernel bug yet? (Just curious) I know my brothers i3 4170k system has noticed somewhat of a slowdown when he has been doing things like large file compression and rendering. Luckily my CPU is far too old to be effected by it!

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 6:07 Quote
I've heard of cases that have slowed 3rd and 4th gen core processors by about 20% across the board.

My honest advice would be to disable Windows updates. Unless you are a system hooked up to a large corporate network or something I wouldn't even worry about the exploit.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 6:15 Quote
Intel has had to keep rolling their updates back because of breaking things anyway.

Honestly the best way to keep yourself secure is to use password entropy and stay away from phishy sites. Common sense type stuff.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
Intel has had to keep rolling their updates back because of breaking things anyway.

Honestly the best way to keep yourself secure is to use password entropy and stay away from phishy sites. Common sense type stuff.

Not correct ... html pages may be a way to infect your pc, port scan and ddos attacks may target you, browser add-ons may be outdated and become vulnerable.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 4:15 Quote
Which statement is incorrect? There's very little to be done about 3rd party problems to begin with. At the rate you're going, you'll be telling us that a person might as well get rid of their computer to avoid being targeted by these vulnerabilities.

The things you mentioned also aren't specific to spectre or meltdown. They're already ways to attack a client.

It's already common sense to avoid websites that you know don't get updated frequently because they make for good targets- same thing for outdated browser addons. As far as portscan and DDoS attacks- if someone can access your system that way, they're far more likely to try other larger/more effective attacks than taking a chance at getting sensitive information out of your RAM.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 10:30 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
The things you mentioned also aren't specific to spectre or meltdown. They're already ways to attack a client.

It's already common sense to avoid websites that you know don't get updated frequently because they make for good targets- same thing for outdated browser addons. As far as portscan and DDoS attacks- if someone can access your system that way, they're far more likely to try other larger/more effective attacks than taking a chance at getting sensitive information out of your RAM.

+1. These are pretty advanced attacks to implement and not exactly trivial. I would expect a proof of concept attack to be demonstrated at a Black Hat or DEFCON talk. Same with a Rowhammer attack, it's not trivial to implement.

For a SOHO user they should be more concerned about skids and getting ratted and such (ie. not clicking on random links or running weird exe's from untrusted sources that could have been binded with a RAT). These are way easier attack vectors and a lot lower effort.

For my IT/Computer situation, I'm doing 3 different things at once during my free time now. Playing around with *nix and Jekyll/Git, and at the same time trying to study up for a certification exam on my own time. On top of waiting for the weather to be nicer and getting back on my MTB and road bike.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 13:11 Quote
I'm with you on that one. I'd rather be riding than raiding, but if riding is unavailable then raiding will do.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 14:59 Quote
Just won a couple of auctions on the old fleabay.

Got a pack of 8 771 Xeon’s for £9 ($11)
An MSI 775 mobo that natively supports DDR3. £22 ($27)
16GB ECC ram £30 ($36)
A new ASRock AM3+ mAtx mobo (£33) ($40)

So hopefully going to resurrect my FX system as the main machine for now and hopefully get one of the Xeon’s running as the new server/NAS machine.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
random question, I made a new gmail account, is it possible to transfer stuff like YT Channels I've subscribed to, Chrome bookmarks and such to it from my other account?

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
The ol' clickaroo is the only way I can find my friend.

Also these new security breach things like Meltdown and stuff of that nature are not the big deal they get made out to be. Yes it's a security risk but really the end user has to interact in such a way (as with most security issues) that allows it to work. If you have Windows UAC off for example you've opened up your system a fair amount. Running as administrator/root all the time does that as well. I actually don't run as admin on my computers except my gaming one which I don't care about. I create a separate account for administrator stuff. I've dodged a lot of things that way.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 14:58 Quote
I actually figured out that I can set my new account as "owner" of my YT Channel...so nothing lost...and imported my bookmarks for chrome.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 16:24 Quote
Neat I didn't think that would do anything.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
Few months ago I built my first system, but I think I count that as mistake, since my priority was to buy a bike, and bought a PC instead. And now I can't find bike.
It's
MB: Asus ROG x370-f gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, clocked on 3.9 I think. Can't remember.
16GB G SKILL Trident Z RGB memory
Cryorig H7 lumi heatsink
Phanteks eclipse p400s case with tempered glass.
Samsung 960 Evo 512GB NVMe
X2 512GB Seagate HDDs (old ones, from old system)
And MSI GTX 780 gaming (dead one..)
I am using 40 inch Samsung TV for monitor. So I can have alot of space for bullshits on my screen Big Grin

Instead of saving the money for nice bike, I end up buying PC that I can't even use properly now, because of the GPU prices, and because I want to buy a bike. (Damn, I am dieing for a bike)
If that 1200 euro that I spent went for a new bike, I would be able to get some damn fine bike. But yea... Stupid me went for a PC
Mistakes were made. Now paying for them Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.053468
Mobile Version of Website