Powered by Outside

Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:17 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
KonaShred21 wrote:
quinner wrote:
Funny...the more beat up, less maintence, trashed trails the better the riding I think. I guess that's just the racer in me.

I've never had problems with grom's because I think to myself, I was once there, I probably did the same "look at the gap", "check it out" etc etc as any rational person would.

So you couldn't piece together the hip to triple because somebody was checking out the landing or whatever. It's biking, just stop walk or pedal back up and nail it.

I've been riding COP a longtime now. It's never really been awesome, but it's never been horrible either. I mean I absolutely FLAT OUT hate the DH course...yet I continually race it week in week out thru the summer. Do I blame the builders, or COP as an organization, nope. It is what it is. If I want something else, I go else where, that's it.

If there is one thing everyone will eventually learn about cycling, you can always go higher, further, farther, do a better trick, spin it, flip it, go faster, drift it, skid it, rail it...whatever. Any obstacale regardless of size has variations, it's up to your creative mind to make the best of it.

Anyways, that's my .02.
you preach it!
I second the motion!
Quinner nailed it, & I nominate him for being the coolest guy on PB!

Nick, I think I'll nominate you for an AFA.
I'm sure we can have a category for internet advocate, lol just kidding
But seriously you right, however I'm not complaining about kids checking stuff out. More the kids who'll stop in the middle of the trail to send their buddy a text message or to change songs on their Ipod. I have no problem with kids scoping stuff out as I still do that, well, not at COP. I'm just happy to have a place that's so close to ride.

Mod
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
I will be more specific and elaborate on why I hate groms scoping out drops and landings and congregating at the bottom of them taking pictures or looking at pictures of a rider that just hit the drop.

The fact of the matter is that I was dropping the Cannon drop at COP and there were some people that I was unable to see until it was too late. I basically ended up tearing my ACL because two people were looking at a digital camera picture right where the landing is. I could have either run both of them over with my DH bike or bail/ditch from the bike. I chose to bail from the bike basically somersaulting over the drop because I ran out of real estate on the drop so when I slammed on my brakes, my front wheel just went over the drop and from there, things went downhill. Now, I have hit this drop multiple times before with no issues so this wasn't a freak accident type of deal. It was strictly related to two or three people looking at a picture with their bikes in the middle of the trail and standing right at the bottom of the landing. I hope that people reading this are now aware of how dangerous this behavior is! Not only did I suffer a dented frame on a Stab Primo which can be replaced at a nominal fee ($1500 and change), a cracked TLD helmet ($450, also a nominal fee to me), but I paid for a $1000 MRI through a private clinic, had surgery on my knee, went through a lot of grueling physical therapy, took two years off from riding and skiing and doing other physical activities that could potentially aggravate the injury or re-injure it altogether and to this day, I still can’t participate in the sports I once loved to do as my knee will never be the same again. These are just a few of the short term consequences. Therefore, I value my health and safety over material goods that can be replaced for about $2000. God only knows what it will be like when I am older. All injuries catch up to you when you are older in the form of arthritis and adverse side affects/consequences.

All of this being said gives me a damn good reason to hate people that do stupid things on the trail and have no respect for fellow riders. It truly is remarkable how far a little trail etiquette and mutual respect goes. If you want to look at pictures, look at them off to the side and move your bikes to the side and in full sight of riders so they don’t run you over. Better yet, look at pictures in the lift line or when you decide to take a lunch or water break. Is it really that hard?

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:07 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I will be more specific and elaborate on why I hate groms scoping out drops and landings and congregating at the bottom of them taking pictures or looking at pictures of a rider that just hit the drop.

The fact of the matter is that I was dropping the Cannon drop at COP and there were some people that I was unable to see until it was too late. I basically ended up tearing my ACL because two people were looking at a digital camera picture right where the landing is. I could have either run both of them over with my DH bike or bail/ditch from the bike. I chose to bail from the bike basically somersaulting over the drop because I ran out of real estate on the drop so when I slammed on my brakes, my front wheel just went over the drop and from there, things went downhill. Now, I have hit this drop multiple times before with no issues so this wasn't a freak accident type of deal. It was strictly related to two or three people looking at a picture with their bikes in the middle of the trail and standing right at the bottom of the landing. I hope that people reading this are now aware of how dangerous this behavior is! Not only did I suffer a dented frame on a Stab Primo which can be replaced at a nominal fee ($1500 and change), a cracked TLD helmet ($450, also a nominal fee to me), but I paid for a $1000 MRI through a private clinic, had surgery on my knee, went through a lot of grueling physical therapy, took two years off from riding and skiing and doing other physical activities that could potentially aggravate the injury or re-injure it altogether and to this day, I still can’t participate in the sports I once loved to do as my knee will never be the same again. These are just a few of the short term consequences. Therefore, I value my health and safety over material goods that can be replaced for about $2000. God only knows what it will be like when I am older. All injuries catch up to you when you are older in the form of arthritis and adverse side affects/consequences.

All of this being said gives me a damn good reason to hate people that do stupid things on the trail and have no respect for fellow riders. It truly is remarkable how far a little trail etiquette and mutual respect goes. If you want to look at pictures, look at them off to the side and move your bikes to the side and in full sight of riders so they don’t run you over. Better yet, look at pictures in the lift line or when you decide to take a lunch or water break. Is it really that hard?

Funny, I tore my ACL as well as my medial and lateral meniscus at COP in the winter due to some kids on the landing of a jump.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
laurie1 wrote:

Great way to put it Laurie. So true! Hope your knee gets back to normal asap!
Scottsdale must be nice right about now, with this -49 windchill crap we're dealing with! ENVY!

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 14:35 Quote
I can understand your point Laurie. My only advice then is to right some sweet singletrack and get back to the roots of why you love riding...then all your frustrations, angers and bad experiences will melt away in the glory of floating down the trail skipping over roots, drifting corners and generally having a good ole' time.

In the meantime I guess you'll just have to enjoy the warmth of the Arizona Sun...

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 23:49 Quote
I was talking to the trail crew and staff like near the end of the season at COP 07. They were saying that guys from whistler are going to come and take down certain beat up stunts and put in new stunts plus putting in easy grom style stunts in the east trees section. They also said something about building an A line trail some where in the park!
(3rd last day Cop was open i saw guys in whistler coats walking through the park with papers like scoping everything)
Like that would be awesome but would require lots of time and money. If all goes planned from what I heard talking to trail crew and staff the 08 year is going to be really good! tup

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
danscott wrote:
I was talking to the trail crew and staff like near the end of the season at COP 07. They were saying that guys from whistler are going to come and take down certain beat up stunts and put in new stunts plus putting in easy grom style stunts in the east trees section. They also said something about building an A line trail some where in the park!
(3rd last day Cop was open i saw guys in whistler coats walking through the park with papers like scoping everything)
Like that would be awesome but would require lots of time and money. If all goes planned from what I heard talking to trail crew and staff the 08 year is going to be really good! tup
yeah! that would be crazy!

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
laurie1 wrote:

Wow, your far to nice, I would have said f*ck it and ran out over their asses, or at least screamed bloody murder so they'd get off the trail. Honestly, IMO, if your that stupid to stand in front of a landing, its simply Darwin's theory of natural selection at work. lol Anyways, hate to hear about the injury, knees are probably the shittiest thing you can mess up, hope you get somewhat back to normal. Any idea as to when you'll be back in the saddle?

Mod
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
calgaryrider wrote:
Wow, your far to nice, I would have said f*ck it and ran out over their asses, or at least screamed bloody murder so they'd get off the trail. Honestly, IMO, if your that stupid to stand in front of a landing, its simply Darwin's theory of natural selection at work. lol Anyways, hate to hear about the injury, knees are probably the shittiest thing you can mess up, hope you get somewhat back to normal. Any idea as to when you'll be back in the saddle?

I am hoping to be back in the saddle this season but I am unsure if my right knee will be able to take the stresses of DH racing/riding since I do still have a ruptured bursa in that knee and there is quite a large amount of fluid in it and the occasional discomfort. I think I will go and see my sports med doctor and ask him to drain the fluid however, they don’t like to do that as it is a highly invasive procedure and increases the chance for infection and that never leads anywhere good and will probably permanently sideline me.

Therefore, I am proposing to Mitch that we go to COP so I can ride one of his bikes (the Trance since it is a small and not a large like the Glory) to see if I think I am capable of riding at a better than substandard level and to see if I still have what it takes to ride. If I feel like I can keep up with the best of them then I will start my DH build immediately so I can get on with practicing and maybe doing some local races. That more than likely won’t happen but I can always aim for it.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 20:08 Quote
Definitely look into getting a brace for it when you do start riding, and just take it slow I suppose. Even if you can't pin it on the downhill, a bit of casual riding is always fun, a lot better than no riding. I had to take last season off since I f*cked myself up, and that was very disappointing, I think two seasons off would kill me. If you want to try it on a DH bike your more than willing to do runs on my v10, its a size medium, and setup for a smaller person, since I'm a little guy, 5'7 and scrawny as f*ck, haha.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
ajaxpowder wrote:
i would join trial crew but all they do is sit on there ass's and smoke pot

All those guys are no longer there, there brining in a new trail crew this year.

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 7:49 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
calgaryrider wrote:

I am hoping to be back in the saddle this season but I am unsure if my right knee will be able to take the stresses of DH racing/riding since I do still have a ruptured bursa in that knee and there is quite a large amount of fluid in it and the occasional discomfort. I think I will go and see my sports med doctor and ask him to drain the fluid however, they don’t like to do that as it is a highly invasive procedure and increases the chance for infection and that never leads anywhere good and will probably permanently sideline me.

Hey Laurie, Try to heal without draining it. Infection will slow your recovery down and is probably not worth it. Keep at the physio and make it your life while the weather is crappy. Try XC first, and maybe road. Pedal, pedal, pedal, and then pedal some more. It'll make you stronger. Use the Trance for sure!
When I tore my knee up in '05, it was BAD. I could have done my own surgery without a scalpel. I had athriscopic surgery, and thought that was it for ridin for me, but I just took baby steps on recovery by riding easy for awhile. I ended up stronger on the bike, and am back to normal now. Although my knee is a little arthritic, I still ride everything I used to, and actually more. I still don't wear armour, it gets in the way! Good Luck! and was that a good game or what!

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 11:59 Quote
I'm looking to get ahold of the ROS builders (hopefully silentJ or one of you will see this message)

I've got some spiky presents for y'all, and would prefer it if I could drop them off to one of you in the city. I'm in the NW (silver springs) and can drop them off anytime in the evening.

post a message here, or feel free to PM me...

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 at 18:59 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
calgaryrider wrote:

Hey Laurie, Try to heal without draining it. Infection will slow your recovery down and is probably not worth it. Keep at the physio and make it your life while the weather is crappy. Try XC first, and maybe road. Pedal, pedal, pedal, and then pedal some more. It'll make you stronger. Use the Trance for sure!
When I tore my knee up in '05, it was BAD. I could have done my own surgery without a scalpel. I had athriscopic surgery, and thought that was it for ridin for me, but I just took baby steps on recovery by riding easy for awhile. I ended up stronger on the bike, and am back to normal now. Although my knee is a little arthritic, I still ride everything I used to, and actually more. I still don't wear armour, it gets in the way! Good Luck! and was that a good game or what!

I bought a road bike to help me get back on my bike. I found it helped a lot to regain movement.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 8:50 Quote
x-ker wrote:
I'm looking to get ahold of the ROS builders (hopefully silentJ or one of you will see this message)

I've got some spiky presents for y'all, and would prefer it if I could drop them off to one of you in the city. I'm in the NW (silver springs) and can drop them off anytime in the evening.

post a message here, or feel free to PM me...

PM sent!

Who was it that left a bunch at Calgary Cycle before Christmas? I'm not sure I ever knew who did that...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018144
Mobile Version of Website