Powered by Outside

To skid or not to skid.

PB Forum :: Downhill
To skid or not to skid.
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
thatguydave wrote:
If you are skidding you have that much less control over your bike... I only skid as a last resort to regain control...
That doesn't make much sense

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
sammyboy2038 wrote:
thatguydave wrote:
If you are skidding you have that much less control over your bike... I only skid as a last resort to regain control...

ahh, i just reread it and saw the contradiction.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 22:35 Quote
sammyboy2038 wrote:
thatguydave wrote:

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 22:45 Quote
i understand what he meant just what he wrote was contradictory and could have been worded differently

also i do believe if you watch todays VOD of steve Romaniak on the hard turns at the beginning he is what i consider skidding and it doesn't seem to be doing his speed or style any harm

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 22:56 Quote
sammyboy2038 wrote:
i understand what he meant just what he wrote was contradictory and could have been worded differently

also i do believe if you watch todays VOD of steve Romaniak on the hard turns at the beginning he is what i consider skidding and it doesn't seem to be doing his speed or style any harm

You trying to bait someone into criticizing his style? He's a freerider not a DH racer.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 1:13 Quote
No skidding unless it is extremely necessary!!

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 4:33 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
sammyboy2038 wrote:

You trying to bait someone into criticizing his style? He's a freerider not a DH racer.

Thats a good point, theres a line between weekend warrior freeriders and downhillers i think. A freerider generally won't give a crap if he slows down on a corner by skidding its whats most fun for me i reckon. Maybe if i do slow down I'm not that impressed but yet again it feels like i've take it quite nicely sometimes i lock the back wheel even if i know i can make it, its just that sensation of having a back end slide out for me really.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:04 Quote
what about skidding on a rock, there is a particular section i have ridden a couple of times and the only way i can get my line if by letting my back wheel skid / slide (started by locking the wheel) on a wet rock face to get front wheel in the desired position. if i had an engine i could get the same effect by stomping he gas but on a bike it would put me way off balance if i were to try to pedal

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
https://youtube.com/watch?v=74aLcOafwL8

Steve peat at 1:15 skidding with purpose

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
tell me what you think

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
A couple of points:skidding is slower! however you can use it to set the bike up for a corner so you don't skid in the corner,(but you knew that right)The other point is that if the trail is maintained then you are less likely to need to skid. the trails are smooth and groomed. If you are on heavy use mountain trails surely its "needs must". We all have had that "ohh crap"moment.
Finally if your racing in a competition who cares. "fastest wins do what it takes"!

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
sammyboy2038 wrote:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=74aLcOafwL8

Steve peat at 1:15 skidding with purpose

A, doesn't really look like he used his brake to skid, watch where he puts his weight. B, Doesn't look like the fastest way to hit that. C, That's Steve Peat, he's a master of braking, and knows when it's appropriate, I doubt anyone here really does. D, Earthed 3, good movie.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
well i never said you had to use your brakes to skid

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
sammyboy2038 wrote:
well i never said you had to use your brakes to skid

I never said otherwise, just adding some points to said post.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
"fastest wins do what it takes"!

Peace out,

see you all at sea otter!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012081
Mobile Version of Website