Powered by Outside

Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:18 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
Most of you people complaining of other accusing riders of being spoiled probably don't go to many races. Your parents buying your first entry level bike is no reason to be defensive about people accusing you of being spoiled, when you go to a race an see kids on decked out V-10's, Sundays and Demo 8s, wearing gear sets that cost upwards of $500 dollars and laughing at someone's bike because it doesn't have 40 rc2s you will know what the article is talking about.

Has ANYONE actually read the article before posting? It has NOTHING to do with riders who are spoiled by their parents.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
skatejunkie wrote:
Most of you people complaining of other accusing riders of being spoiled probably don't go to many races. Your parents buying your first entry level bike is no reason to be defensive about people accusing you of being spoiled, when you go to a race an see kids on decked out V-10's, Sundays and Demo 8s, wearing gear sets that cost upwards of $500 dollars and laughing at someone's bike because it doesn't have 40 rc2s you will know what the article is talking about.

Has ANYONE actually read the article before posting? It has NOTHING to do with riders who are spoiled by their parents.

Hahaha, I think it's time to give up.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
I know its not about spoiled kids I'm saying your parents helping you get into the sport doesn't make you spoiled.

I should have worded my post differently.

I have a neighbor who races professional DH on his 2005 bike that is beat to crap and his sponsorship is 20% off at his LBS but he still manages to compete with riders with factory sponsorships. He may not have a good bike or get a lot of media attention but he will probably do better in the long run because he will have a better work ethic than those who have big sponsors.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:32 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:

well then ide call them spoiled because they got all that nice shit, and they dont deserve it for making others feel lesser of a person because they dont have as good as gear or bikes.... and i do go to many races and i do understand but my parents didnt buy me any bikes not even my first i bought that too so i know how it feels to be looked down on and laughed at by those people

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
me im 12 and personally i dont wanna be sponsored. there would be to much to worry about makin sure im winnin races and impressin my sponsor. id rather just ride with my friends. now dont get me wrong if i get offered a sponser imma take it but im not gonna go askin ppl for sponsorships

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
with brakes and wheels they got in a cardboard box from Sanjay for 50 bucks and kits they got off the closeout rack at the moto store.

HA already there! anyway im not spoiled or cushy im 15 n my soccer and rugyb coaches tought me diciplne ( or they brainwashed me) becaue they got me into the habit of running and lifting weights every morning the pushing my bike up and down the dh track all day whiping out cuts all over going back and not leaving till you get it right i dont think canadians are lazy

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 20:16 Quote
g-off7 wrote:
It's not just the "prodigies" and the shop sponser juniour kids its teh damn rich kids.
Everytime they want the newest shinniest white special edition this that or whatever thats exactly teh same as everything else on teh damn market the run out to daddy and get there hand out. giving them that sense of entitlment and teh idea that since they have shit everyone is entitled to there insite on riders and parts and everything else and that, those ideas are clearly right and that everyone elses ideas mechanics, shop employees, older riders etc are clearly wrong.

I may fit neatly into the demographic of d-bags and i may ride with demographic more than any other age group but everyone i know who busts there ass to afford parts and trols through the clearance racks and teh second hand stores for parts seems to have somewhat of an idea, maybe not about racing or sponsership but atleast what it takes to keep a bike running and that there might be people out there who know more than them.

sorry for the rant

YOU SIR ARE A GENIUS... what you have just said is so very true i worked for about 5 months after school Till 12 or 2 in the morning busting my ass off for a bike that even now is only worth 1300 that im still trying to build up and i see kids who decide to say hey dad can you get me this bike that they can barely even ride it and then they bitch and complain about how there dad wont buy them a very expensive bike part they dont even need.. any ways i quit that job in the beggining of the summer because i fail and did really bad in school cause of it i still ahve my bike and i still want to fix it up but things are going slow...

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 at 22:25 Quote
so i missed the point of teh article a few montsh ago but for all you to lazy to actaully go back and read the article.

it's about how junious who show potential one year get everything handed to tehm the next year and because of this they lose they're hunger drive and work ethic and think they can coast and then after there results are shit and they get dropped they give up.

atleast thats what i think it means

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 at 0:18 Quote
Some parents just see biking as something that makes their kids happy. And if that, to them, means buying them a decked out bike; then it's a good enough reason for me.

My parents bought me my first bike, it was a green no suspension bike. And I cried when they took away my pointy bar-ends because they didn't want me to impail myself on them!

Eveyones parents buys them their first bikes, and theres nothing wrong with that.

It's jealous and envious people who can't handle how firstly they think they are competitive and mint at racing when actually they are shit. And also they can't take it when people roll up with better bikes who are just as shit.

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 14:34 Quote
g-off7 wrote:
so i missed the point of teh article a few montsh ago but for all you to lazy to actaully go back and read the article.

it's about how junious who show potential one year get everything handed to tehm the next year and because of this they lose they're hunger drive and work ethic and think they can coast and then after there results are shit and they get dropped they give up.

atleast thats what i think it means
even tho what you said is true, there are the "juniors" that actually still keep at it. yes im a junior and once again yes i am sponsored (by my lbs witch basically covered a season pass to a DH/FR area in Ontario race fees and the owner of my LBS takes me there almost every weekend ) i still work hard for everything to do with my bike and gear, i ride an 04 DH bike witch i worked for and paid for all up grades and try and do all the work on the bike myself to save money on labor fees at a shop. dont get me wrong its great to have a sponsorship at any level and your right it makes staying in the game a lot easier (especially when your parants are poor and wont throw you a penny to fix your bike) but when i see someone on a 3000-6000 DH bike and they cant/wont ride i just want to kill them, it dose not matter whether its their parents or a sponsorship who got it for them but when i hear a excuse for some one not to ride its just wrong. i hope more Canadians and Americans make the worlds but i just cant see it happening soon.... props to all the riders who kept at it though all the blood sweat and tears and hope they get what they deserve but to all the others who just want their name on the back of a FOX jersey and will not do anything to get it or get it and dont keep biking because they now think they are set for life...well...i dont have any thing to say to them except for a big F-U sorry for the long post...xD

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
cra-zkid9 wrote:
me im 12 and personally i dont wanna be sponsored. there would be to much to worry about makin sure im winnin races and impressin my sponsor. id rather just ride with my friends. now dont get me wrong if i get offered a sponser imma take it but im not gonna go askin ppl for sponsorships

I laughed at this post.

If you got the chance there would be no second thought. You would obviously take up a sponsership deal because you get discounted parts, You bike set up etc.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
cra-zkid9 wrote:

I laughed at this post.

If you got the chance there would be no second thought. You would obviously take up a sponsership deal because you get discounted parts, You bike set up etc.

yeh but some people want to just do it for fun and not do it competatively
sorry for spellin haha

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 9:16 Quote
KonaShred2-4 wrote:
Gaz6R4 wrote:
cra-zkid9 wrote:

I laughed at this post.

sorry for spellin haha

You missed the point...

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 9:19 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
KonaShred2-4 wrote:
Gaz6R4 wrote:

I laughed at this post.

sorry for spellin haha

You missed the point...

He did...

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
KonaShred2-4 wrote:
Gaz6R4 wrote:

I laughed at this post.

sorry for spellin haha

You missed the point...
yeh well i would take i sponser any day its justs ome people wouldent that what im trying to say

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013393
Mobile Version of Website