Powered by Outside

I HATE ARGYLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
I HATE ARGYLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:06 Quote
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
epicbiker wrote:
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
Im actualy going to whistler next summer, so I want a fork that holds up...

what bike are you looking for a fork to put on?

suburban:
photo

ur just planning on riding the jumps there on that right? i dont think that bike would be good for any of the actual runs

bigquotesi rode some dh trails a couple of times on my bike back when it had 32 floats on it and the axle didnt break, it worked just fine

Key word, some. I've been there, I've ridden 9mm in DH. It doesn't last for long. It's just not what it's meant for. Why not use a fork that's actually made for the job, instead of substituting another one?

jordo5 wrote:
bigquotes
*Edit* Also, Solid aluminum crowns down ovalize for no reason. The fork must have taken a serious impact at some point durnig its life that caused this.
bigquotes
my fork is an 06 it has the steel tube, would rock shox waranty that, cuz i got it last august

I didnt think they made argyles in 06 Confused . If you bought it last augest, you are still within 1 year, so you are still under warranty. If rockshox deems that it was a deformaty caused by abuse, then they will not fix it under warranty, but they will replace the broken parts at a reasonable price.

Either way, it is unsafe to ride unless it is just to the corner store and back.

~Mark

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:07 Quote
sherbet wrote:
bigquotesi rode some dh trails a couple of times on my bike back when it had 32 floats on it and the axle didnt break, it worked just fine

Key word, some. I've been there, I've ridden 9mm in DH. It doesn't last for long. It's just not what it's meant for. Why not use a fork that's actually made for the job, instead of substituting another one?

because sometimes a fork with a 9mm axle is all you can afford. we dont all get discounts from shops for working there. some people have to scavenge for deals or pay full price

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
bigquotesur just planning on riding the jumps there on that right? i dont think that bike would be good for any of the actual runs

Why couldn't you do runs? A hardtail with 140mm would be a little hard in some places, but it could handle it with the right spec. I do DH on this, and am planning on switching the fork out to a Pike.

photo

Hai.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
epicbiker wrote:
sherbet wrote:

because sometimes a fork with a 9mm axle is all you can afford. we dont all get discounts from shops for working there. some people have to scavenge for deals or pay full price

Then get a different fork. A Pike 426 U turn coil doesn't cost much.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
sherbet wrote:
epicbiker wrote:
sherbet wrote:

it all depends on what you find for good prices at the time. and some people might also not have the money to buy a new wheel or hub if they dont already have 20mm thru axle wheel

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:12 Quote
sherbet wrote:
bigquotesur just planning on riding the jumps there on that right? i dont think that bike would be good for any of the actual runs

Why couldn't you do runs? A hardtail with 140mm would be a little hard in some places, but it could handle it with the right spec. I do DH on this, and am planning on switching the fork out to a Pike.

photo

Hai.

doing downhill on a hardtail kinda sucks. why not go for a fully

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:12 Quote
So, you're saying you should get the wrong fork for the job in substitution for just saving up?

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
epicbiker wrote:

Because hardtails are better training for DH. It's plenty of fun.

I own a fully, also.

photo

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:14 Quote
epicbiker wrote:
sherbet wrote:

photo

Hai.

Because sometimes a hardtail is all you can afford. Wink

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
sherbet wrote:
epicbiker wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Im gonna side with Sherbet on this one. I have ridden street and dj on a 9 mm fork. Manitou, marzocchi, rockshox or fox, they all lead to broken axles/skewers. There is a reason why fox clasifies the 32 series and f series forks as xc. If they were perfectly strong enough for dj and street, dont you think they would say that? It would deffinately improve their sales.

As for my recmmendation, a pike 426 would be perfect. It can be set soft enough for trails, and then stiffened up for dj and street. It also has a 20mm through axle, which in my opinion, is a must.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
sherbet wrote:
epicbiker wrote:

Because hardtails are better training for DH. It's plenty of fun.

I own a fully, also.

photo

not even downhill on fullys is 110% better than hardtail downhilling any day

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:16 Quote
again. PIKE's are awsome. and i dont think they break because last time i went dirt jumping i major nose cased on this 7 foot tall dj with 6 foot gap. bottomed out my fork big time and it works like new still.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 19:16 Quote
Yet again, I think I'm qualified to say my opinion here.

Hardtails are for training, as you need to think about your lines more carefully, there's less forgiveness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014313
Mobile Version of Website